Show'n off my dizzy by BHall71
Started on: 07-05-2022 08:34 PM
Replies: 9 (553 views)
Last post by: PhatMax on 07-14-2022 04:24 PM
BHall71

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2022 08:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BHall71Send a Private Message to BHall71Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Pickup coil finally gave up the ghost. Rebuilt/refurbished my distributor while I was at it. Media blasted and clear coated the tarnished aluminum and rusted steel. Added a CPU heat sink on the bottom side of the ICM also. Pics below, enjoy.

Brian

[This message has been edited by BHall71 (edited 07-05-2022).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 464
Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2022 03:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I like your style. Click
css9450

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 87
Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2022 08:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by BHall71:

Media blasted and clear coated the tarnished aluminum and rusted steel.

My distributor is nearly that clean..... I got it out of a 1985 or 1986 Chevy Celebrity in the junkyard. Evidently someone replaced the distributor right before junking the car! My eyes were drawn to the immaculate clean distributor on an otherwise filthy and greasy engine. Anyway, I kept it as a spare until a few years later when I installed it in my Fiero.

Wichita

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 326
Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2022 12:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WichitaSend a Private Message to WichitaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sweet!
Spadesluck

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2022 02:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpadesluckSend a Private Message to SpadesluckEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had that same ICM, worked great for a year then just stopped working. Wasn't very happy. Put the stock one back in and ran it like that till I did my motor swap. I hope it lasts for you as I did feel that the throttle response was better with it.
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 252
Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2022 03:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I see a lot of people doing the heatsink mod and wonder if heat rises, what good is it? The idea of a heatsink is that it takes the heat away from the device and allows the heat to rise off the fins. How does heat rise off the fins when it's upside down? If you have to mount it upside down, a fan should be attached to pull the heat away.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 464
Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2022 03:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by IMSA GT:

How does heat rise off the fins when it's upside down? If you have to mount it upside down, a fan should be attached to pull the heat away.

There's plenty of air flow in the engine bay... more than enough to allow heat to dissipate off of a mounted heat sink. I mounted my heat sink 14 years ago, and haven't had to touch the inside of the distributor since.

BHall71

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2022 05:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BHall71Send a Private Message to BHall71Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks, Patrick & Wichita.

I believe I got the idea from your post, Patrick.

Originally posted by Spadesluck:

I had that same ICM, worked great for a year then just stopped working. Wasn't very happy. Put the stock one back in and ran it like that till I did my motor swap. I hope it lasts for you as I did feel that the throttle response was better with it.

That DynaMod ICM pictured came off of my '95 Silverado after I wrecked it. It was on the truck for ~4years and has been on the formula for around 5 years now.

Brian

[This message has been edited by BHall71 (edited 07-08-2022).]

kendell

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2022 12:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for kendellSend a Private Message to kendellEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice stuff!
PhatMax

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2022 04:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PhatMaxSend a Private Message to PhatMaxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Note- law of thermodynamics…..heat moves to the cooler area. Doesn’t matter if cooling fins are in any direction ..

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock