The Aero Fiero - 88 LS4 swap with body mods for downforce by Wererabbit91
Started on: 07-29-2023 06:56 PM
Replies: 7 (404 views)
Last post by: Jims88 on 08-18-2023 10:04 PM
Wererabbit91

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2023 06:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Wererabbit91Send a Private Message to Wererabbit91Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This post has been a long time coming. If you have been in the Southeast Michigan area or went to the Fiero 40th you have probably seen this car, but this is the first time I have posted about it.

I bought Jims88’s LS4 swapped 88 Formula Fiero in Fall 2019. He deserves all the credit for shoving the LS4 neatly into this chassis and his detailed build thread convinced me to buy his project. I have had many people comment that it looks stock and they were impressed by how clean it looks. His great build thread is here: https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/125877.html

Since then I have made a lot of modifications to it, and have more to go. My goal is to have a car that I can cruise around town in as well as take to the occasional road course track or HPDE event. I’ll keep this post short and add links to it as I post more details. Enough talk, here are pictures.

Modifications:
  • 5.3L LS Truck manifold and throttle body, 4in intake, LS7 MAF, DoD delete, complete engine rebuild with upgraded valvetrain to raise redline to 6800 rpm
  • Triple Edge performance rebuild of 4T65e-HD transmission to 385ft-lbs torque limit
  • ‘87 GT Aero body swap (replaced all rivets with bolted rivnut connections)
  • Louver Hatchback with supports (I will rework this now that I have access to a shop)
  • Cantilevered 71” wide rear wing from 9 Lives Racing
  • Showcars fiberglass Aero splitter with custom cutout for front end
  • Fully ducted and vented cooling airflow with louvered hood vent
  • Embrace Racing Bi-Xenon Headlamp kit with quality of life modifications
  • Wilwood 4-piston brake calipers with Fiero Guru’s ‘88 13in rotors
  • Steven Snyder's adjustable upper controls for ‘88s
  • Rodney Dickman rebuildable ‘88 front bearings
  • LS4 King’s Baffled Oil Pan
  • Aux Transmission Cooler
  • Quick disconnect steering wheel
  • Digital Dashboard
  • A couple quality of life changes: Throttle by wire pedal, relocated ECUs to stock Fiero location, added bigger mufflers

A quick timeline since late summer 2019:
I had the car less than a month or two when I took the car to Waterford Hills raceway for a shakedown track day. The car did fine for the first session and even passed a couple novices in Porsches, but during the second session of the day I overheated and it shutdown on track. I limped the car home and found out I had overheated and spun a couple bearings. With the engine and trans out for rebuild I took the opportunity to get a lot of work done on the car. Covid set me back, but finally in the summer of 2021 I had the car driving again. Then over the last couple years I have been working through all the modifications. Most of my work has been in my shed with hand tools, materials from ACE, Home Depot and McMaster. The most “precise” tools being digital calipers, a miter saw, table top drill press, and table top belt sander. I’m not bragging, I’m making excuses for the quality of my work and the tradeoffs I made in designs. At the start of 2023 I finally got access to a small machine shop and I’m starting to use their lathe, mill, and welder.

I’m at a nice point to take a bit of a break on the car, because my next steps involve wider suspension, custom widebody, custom exhaust, and maybe a manual swap.

[This message has been edited by Wererabbit91 (edited 07-30-2023).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
pmbrunelle

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 63
Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2023 07:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey, it's Patrick from the 40th Anniversary barbecue parking here.

I'm on this forum pretty regularly, so if you post updates on your project here, I'll be reading!
fierojp

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2023 11:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierojpClick Here to visit fierojp's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierojpEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That is looking good. Thanks for sharing your unique project!

Since you have access to that machine shop now, I'd love to see you incorporate a real working diffuser. You would need to cut out the bottom portion of the trunk for it to be effective. And of course install a tray under the engine.
Wererabbit91

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2023 12:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Wererabbit91Send a Private Message to Wererabbit91Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pmbrunelle:

Hey, it's Patrick from the 40th Anniversary barbecue parking here.

I'm on this forum pretty regularly, so if you post updates on your project here, I'll be reading!

It was great meeting you at the 40th and thank you again for volunteering to help with the cookout parking! I plan to make separate threads for the more detailed posts and then add the links to this thread. I use "The Aero Fiero" in the post titles.
Wererabbit91

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2023 12:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Wererabbit91Send a Private Message to Wererabbit91Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Wererabbit91

38 posts
Member since Aug 2019

Originally posted by fierojp:

That is looking good. Thanks for sharing your unique project!

Since you have access to that machine shop now, I'd love to see you incorporate a real working diffuser. You would need to cut out the bottom portion of the trunk for it to be effective. And of course install a tray under the engine.

Underbody panels and a diffuser are on the todo list. The Fiero's architecture should make it easy to get a nice smooth underbody that leads into a legit diffuser. I do not want to turn this car into a gutted track car that needs to be towed everywhere. So keeping the stock trunk is one of my criteria. I should still be able to make a diffuser that starts at the back of the cradle and tucks in just below the trunk. Eventually I need to do some tuft testing to prove out my aero mods.
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2023 12:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Are the rear mufflers supported correctly? That's a lot of weight back there. If you plan to keep the same setup for the exhaust, you can find smaller mufflers that tuck into the openings. Here is the Valvoline car. Notice the exhaust tip.

[This message has been edited by IMSA GT (edited 07-30-2023).]

Wererabbit91

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2023 01:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Wererabbit91Send a Private Message to Wererabbit91Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The stock LS4 exhaust headers combine into a 2.5in downpipe on the back side of the engine. Then I have a Y section that splits it out to the sides where a 90 deg turns its rearwards I attach those mufflers you see. So the exhaust is supported at the downpipe and at the 90 deg turns. This is not the final exhaust I want on this car, so I just need this to last a couple years. Here is a picture of the mounts I have at the 90s. So far I have not had any issues with this mounting, though I will agree its not the best.
Jims88

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2023 10:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jims88Send a Private Message to Jims88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks good

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock