Fiero Store Reproduction GT Steering Wheel Info by Irrationable
Started on: 12-18-2023 07:33 PM
Replies: 10 (380 views)
Last post by: jelly2m8 on 12-28-2023 01:36 PM
Irrationable

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2023 07:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IrrationableSend a Private Message to IrrationableEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Cross-posting this so the information has a more permanent home than the main Fiero facebook page.

I decided to do some digging into the background on the Fiero Store's reproduction GT steering wheels. After looking through some old catalogs and speaking to a member of the Fiero Store team, I managed to learn quite a bit. I even managed to purchase one to strip down and take extensive photos of.

These wheels were first offered by the Fiero Store in 2001 and the last purchase order to their supplier was placed in 2008. They were offered in black(75006), gray (75005), dark saddle (75004) and light saddle (75003) with approximately 1000 units produced overall across the four colors.

Gray and black were the first colors to sell out, with gray no longer being offered in the FS 2008-2010 catalog. Light saddle was the last to sell out, with the final wheels sold in 2013. Wheels were sold for $109.95, and did not include a splined hub or trim rings. Buyers would have to swap the old ones over from their original wheel.

Although details on the manufacturer are slim, it sounds as if an original Fiero NP5 GT wheel was provided to a third party company, who then used it to requisition reproductions from a manufacturer in China or Taiwan.

None of the design differences like the smaller diameter or finger notches along the rim were by request, and were likely holdovers from the manufacturer modifying an existing design to suit the Fiero. The only design request that was made by the Fiero Store was that no padding be used in the reproduction wheels, as the Fiero Store did not want a repeat of the brown goop that plagued OEM wheels.

These reproduction wheels are slightly smaller in circumference than a factory GT wheel (109cm vs. 116cm), have much shallower thumb notches on the left and right spokes, and have the aforementioned finger grip notches around the backside of the wheel.

Unlike OEM wheels which are injection-molded urethane around a steel core, these wheels are made from several wooden segments glued around a core. Two wooden rings make up the rim, with separate pieces for each spoke. On every reproduction wheel I've seen in person, the distance of the spokes varies widely, giving the spokes an uneven appearance.

Despite these difference from OEM wheels, I'd say that these wheels were an admirable attempt to remedy a real issue in the Fiero community. At the price they were originally offered, they were a much cheaper alternative to having your wheel professionally recovered. Unfortunately, there appear to be no future plans to reproduce any kind of replacement wheels for our cars.

These days, your best bet is to swap to an aftermarket wheel or have your OEM wheel recovered. Over the past 9 years, I've recovered over 400 wheels, with no signs of things slowing down any time soon. I stock a variety of different leather and thread colors, and offer additional options like extra padding, colored top markers, hub/spoke refurbishing, and 3D printed replacement trim rings.

If the is any interest, I may also post the info I've gathered up on the various different wheels that were offered in the Fiero across its 5-year lifespan. To those of you who took the time to read through this full post, I appreciate you taking the time and hope you found it insightful!

------------------
Irrationable's Garage LLC - Steering Wheel Recovery

irrationablewheels@gmail.com
Instagram: @irrationablesgarage

1988 Fiero GT - 3.4 DOHC swapped

[This message has been edited by Irrationable (edited 12-18-2023).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Notorio

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2023 11:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NotorioSend a Private Message to NotorioEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Very interesting! Thank you for taking the time to post your research.
jelly2m8

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 243
Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2023 01:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jelly2m8Send a Private Message to jelly2m8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You sold me a wheel a couple years ago Alex, still looks perfect. Worth every penny and up in the top of the best upgrades to be had.

Thank you for providing your service to us
css9450

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 87
Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2023 08:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow, that's interesting. I had forgotten (or never knew) that FS had offered aftermarket steering wheels at one time. I wonder how they are to drive with, being a few mm smaller (mm not cm).
82-T/A [At Work]

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 200
Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2023 08:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'd be VERY interested in having my steering wheel redone. I have a 1987 Fiero SE / V6 with a GT steering wheel on it from the same year (the 87 interior grey). Do you have a price for recovering it in the same color?

Thank you!
Irrationable

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2023 01:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IrrationableSend a Private Message to IrrationableEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 82-T/A [At Work]:

I'd be VERY interested in having my steering wheel redone. I have a 1987 Fiero SE / V6 with a GT steering wheel on it from the same year (the 87 interior grey). Do you have a price for recovering it in the same color?

Thank you!

Sure thing! Basic recovery on a GT wheel would run you $250 + return shipping if you sent your own wheel in for recovery. If you message me with your preferred email address, I'd be happy to send you an order form with instructions on placing an order.

------------------

Kitskaboodle

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2023 04:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KitskaboodleSend a Private Message to KitskaboodleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I bought one of the black steering wheels from the FieroStore quite a few years back.
Stitching, wrapping, quality was all good. The one noteworthy thing I can vouch for is that the . reproduction ones are definitely a little thicker than the originals. Not a biggie but I had heard that they are thicker and that is a correct statement.
Kit
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2023 11:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If I were in need of a factory wheel. I would first watch for a factory wheel.

Second consider getting the original restored.

Third what I did was bought a Momo wheel from a Ferrari and installed it.

I found the Momo in Beverly Hills at a parts shop. Got it for $100. Bo,Ted right in with the adapter hub.
Better quality and solid good looking wheel. My car is modified so stock was not a need.
Irrationable

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-25-2023 05:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IrrationableSend a Private Message to IrrationableEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by hyperv6:

If I were in need of a factory wheel. I would first watch for a factory wheel.

Second consider getting the original restored.

Third what I did was bought a Momo wheel from a Ferrari and installed it.

I found the Momo in Beverly Hills at a parts shop. Got it for $100. Bo,Ted right in with the adapter hub.
Better quality and solid good looking wheel. My car is modified so stock was not a need.

The only issue with sourcing a factory wheel (besides the scarcity of wheels in good shape) is the fact that it will likely suffer from the dreaded "brown goop" issue at some point.

With recovered and aftermarket wheels you can guarantee this won't be an issue, as these wheels won't use the same foam padding that GM originally used.

------------------

hyperv6

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2023 12:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not all suffer failures.

Much depends on how the were stored and cared for.

But NOS is always an option.

Recover is good if you can find some that gets it right.

The aftermarket high quality wheels are great if you don’t mind the modification.

It all just depends on what you want or how much you want to invest.
jelly2m8

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 243
Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2023 01:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jelly2m8Send a Private Message to jelly2m8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My original wheel is still in excellent condition, tight, no wrinkles, no wear. I opted for one of Irrationable's wheels after driving my Fiero after 10 years storage simply because after getting it back on the road I realized how comically thin the steering wheels from that era are and goofy feeling compared to anything from the past 2 decades. I drive my car, the extra padded wheel really does make the Fiero feel much more modern.

[This message has been edited by jelly2m8 (edited 12-28-2023).]

PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock