Hi from the UK by Mich1958
Started on: 06-03-2024 05:27 PM
Replies: 11 (254 views)
Last post by: Mike in Sydney on 06-11-2024 12:50 AM
Mich1958

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2024 05:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mich1958Send a Private Message to Mich1958Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
[img][IMG]https://images.fiero.nl/userimages/Mich1958/41a672e7-7ede-4a8e-b399-4a540d09 6dc8.jpeg[/IMG]Hi All.

Just wanted to introduce myself, I'm based in Nottinghamshire UK and recently I came across a Fiero stuck in a barn in Birmingham.

Now it's not my first American car ownership, I started at 21 with a yellow Mustang and went from Ford to Dodge to Pontiac thenChevrolet and back to Dodge.

Currently I run a 2016 Dodge Ram 1500 Ltd a 1999 C5 Corvette and a Delorean DMC12.

But Ive always had a little soft spot for the Fiero so I figured this was the time to own one.

And here she is in all her beautiful moss green glory.

So after a little fight, mainly with solid frozen brakes she was dragged onto the trailer for her journey home.

She's a 1985 V6 Auto Aero in white with what I guess was originally a silver accent bottom.

So what are my plans? well to get her back on the road after a fair amount of TLC.

I already have a massive list of jobs but I'm really looking forward to saving this lovely little car.

I have no doubt I will be asking many many questions in the weeks months to come.

Thanks for looking any comments greatly appreciated.

Mich

[This message has been edited by Mich1958 (edited 06-10-2024).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 464
Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2024 05:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welcome! It's always great to see new members from overseas.

You'll notice that your third image doesn't appear. That's because the URL has been corrupted (a space has been inserted, indicated with red arrow below) due to numerous image uploads being done without the ENTER key being used between each upload. (I use the ENTER key twice between and/or after each upload.) If you click EDIT on your post and follow my example below, all your images will display correctly.

CLICK FOR FULL SIZE

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 06-24-2024).]

Mike in Sydney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2024 09:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike in SydneySend a Private Message to Mike in SydneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welcome to our addiction.

Nice car. Looks pretty complete except for the sail panels behind the doors. Try these replacements: https://www.ebay.com.au/itm...oupid=163937151834&r lsatarget=pla-2271253366506&abcId=9404051&merchantid=7364522&gad_source=1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI9rytx-fAhgMVy4xLBR1ZohfCEAQYCiABEgKLY_D_BwE. (~£70)
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 572
Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2024 12:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Don't buy anything not require to Pass MOT. Most here are in the U.S. & have weak or No Inspection & have No Clue what is required in the UK & several EU states.

Just the Brakes will cost a lot to Pass inspection & maybe why the car has been parked for decades. Now even in the U.S. is becoming very hard to get calipers for 84-87 Fiero, near impossible for 88. Add shipping, VAT, & more cost to import the parts even when vendor will sell parts or have someway around that...

See https://web.archive.org/web...cast.net/~fierocave/ brake section then likely many other pages.

Have mold etc on it then very likely has major rust under the body. use search.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

Frenchrafe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2024 06:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FrenchrafeSend a Private Message to FrenchrafeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi there, and welcome to the Fiero money pit team!
No, just kidding!
Get the thing MOTed first before spending money on the rest.
My Fiero had all 4 wheels/brakes seized when I got it. However, they can be striped and rebuilt without buying new calipers, if you have the skills and patience.
Ogre is right to say about the rust. And even if your body is OK, I can garantee that all your brake lines and clutch lines are rusted out. You will need to get busy with the cupro-nickel tubing.😉
Don't hesitate to post your questions here, or use the search to see what someone did before.
Cheers,
Rafe

------------------
"Turbo Slug" - '87 Fiero GT. 3800 turbo. - The fastest Fiero in France! @turboslugfiero
https://youtu.be/hUzOAeyWLfM

82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 200
Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2024 07:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice Fiero! Welcome to the forums!
NewDustin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2024 09:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NewDustinSend a Private Message to NewDustinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welcome! Thanks for taking that beauty in; she deserves some TLC!
I actually have a set of sail panels from my '88 Formula that I'm doing a fastback conversion on that I'd be happy to send to you, I just don't know what shipping to the UK would be.
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 206
Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2024 01:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welcome.

Let us know how we can help you!
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2024 11:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welcome aboard!

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

Mich1958

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2024 04:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mich1958Send a Private Message to Mich1958Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
[img]https://images.fi ero.nl/userimages/Mich1958/Fiero%206%20Washed.jpeg[/img]

Hi alll

Thank you for your replies to my post.

So what's happened since I saved the unloved Fiero, well not a massive amount but at the same time some significant things.

The first think was a good wash several times infact, mainly on the body, and she looks alot better already, surprising what a bit of soap and water will do.

After a good wash and brush up I removed the battery to find that the battery tray was toast no surprise there I also found a little hole in the corner where I'm guessing the low water point would have been, so any battery run off would have ended up there leaving me with a hole about as big as my thumb in the sheet metal work.

Before the new battery arrived plugs out and I ran a boroscope down the cylinders all seemed good, I applied a little WD40 in each bore then checked all plugs tested cleaned and correctly gapped.

I checked the HT leads all ok just old same with the distributor cap servicable but will be replaced.

I emptied the old fuel from the tank and cleared it out with some fresh fuel then bled the system by removing the schrader valve on the fuel system and ran the pump to clear out fuel that smelt like varnish.

Schrader back in I pressured up the system made sure that the old oil was up to level along with the water system.

New battery on distributer cap disconected I turned the car over until i saw the oil pressure gauge flick up, cap back on I decided to go for it.

And happy day's she started almost instantly, odd legging a little 3 then 4 then 6 cyliders, oil pressure up to 80 psi.

I let her run for a minute while I did a walk around all seemed good, RPM was up a little i'm guessing cold start enrichment.

So while still monitoring everything 5 mins in she came off enrichment, I picked her up on revs she seems to pick up ok so then I let her run until i saw and felt the temperature climb, all good so far.

And that was it was it for this session I fueled her again and tried her again after she cooled, she started on the button, I was very pleased to say the least.

So what's gone wrong well nothing major, no leaks no oil no water that's a bonus, i chocked the car 3ft either side and tried the auto box she moved to the chock and returned several times, all the lights worked headlights came up heater fan worked all speeds and it blew hot when running. AC's a different story i can her the ac pump trying to engage but there is no cool so I'm guessing enough to allow the clutch to kick in but not enough in the system, hopefully its a pressure test and refill.

So what did go wrong well just the tacho as Ive found so far when warm and off enrichment it shows 2250 rpm at tickover im guessing it should read 500 hundred ish so thats on my list, also the brakes which have now arrived from the states full set back and front including E brake full set.

One of the things I'm going to have to change is the tyre profile from 215/60 14 there really expensive here in the UK with only one option.

Also I have noticed what I think is an exhaust manifold gasket leak from the rear bank, I'm pretty sure its that it's ticky on cold start up and starts to disapear as the engine warms but you can still hear a whisper of air escaping.

So thats it for now, bodywork is ok from 20ft looks good 5ft not so much the gell coat has some crazing in it and the colour is washed out, plus someone has painted the bottom accents in a grey and after several washes the paint is coming off, it looks like its not been keyed properly to the silver, which I think i will return the car too. on the plus side i found the broken sail panels in several bits in the trunk, along with a full size spare tyre (but the rubber is toast shame) the sail panel is now repaired and I see no reason why a decent rattle can paint job wont bring them back to hallf decent condition.

I think thats all I have at the moment, any comments and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks once again

Mich

[This message has been edited by Mich1958 (edited 06-11-2024).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 464
Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2024 06:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Mich1958:

...any comments and advice would be greatly appreciated.

I gave you advice on posting images here... which it appears you missed.
PFF
System Bot
Mike in Sydney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2024 12:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike in SydneySend a Private Message to Mike in SydneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Mich,

I've put my responses in the quote in bold text. Sounds like you are on top of things.

Originally posted by Mich1958:

The first think was a good wash several times infact, mainly on the body, and she looks alot better already, surprising what a bit of soap and water will do.
She's come up a treat. Really looks like you scored a good example.

After a good wash and brush up I removed the battery to find that the battery tray was toast no surprise there I also found a little hole in the corner where I'm guessing the low water point would have been, so any battery run off would have ended up there leaving me with a hole about as big as my thumb in the sheet metal work.
Yep. Battery trays are known to rust. I've had to replace two on three of my Fieros.

Before the new battery arrived plugs out and I ran a boroscope down the cylinders all seemed good, I applied a little WD40 in each bore then checked all plugs tested cleaned and correctly gapped.

I checked the HT leads all ok just old same with the distributor cap servicable but will be replaced.

I emptied the old fuel from the tank and cleared it out with some fresh fuel then bled the system by removing the schrader valve on the fuel system and ran the pump to clear out fuel that smelt like varnish.

Schrader back in I pressured up the system made sure that the old oil was up to level along with the water system.

New battery on distributer cap disconected I turned the car over until i saw the oil pressure gauge flick up, cap back on I decided to go for it.

And happy day's she started almost instantly, odd legging a little 3 then 4 then 6 cyliders, oil pressure up to 80 psi.
I wish my SE coupe had been so lucky. Mine was more stubborn and still is at times. (Probably the cold start circuit playing up.)

I let her run for a minute while I did a walk around all seemed good, RPM was up a little i'm guessing cold start enrichment.

So while still monitoring everything 5 mins in she came off enrichment, I picked her up on revs she seems to pick up ok so then I let her run until i saw and felt the temperature climb, all good so far.

And that was it was it for this session I fueled her again and tried her again after she cooled, she started on the button, I was very pleased to say the least.

So what's gone wrong well nothing major, no leaks no oil no water that's a bonus, i chocked the car 3ft either side and tried the auto box she moved to the chock and returned several times, all the lights worked headlights came up heater fan worked all speeds and it blew hot when running. AC's a different story i can her the ac pump trying to engage but there is no cool so I'm guessing enough to allow the clutch to kick in but not enough in the system, hopefully its a pressure test and refill.

So what did go wrong well just the tacho as Ive found so far when warm and off enrichment it shows 2250 rpm at tickover im guessing it should read 500 hundred ish so thats on my list, also the brakes which have now arrived from the states full set back and front including E brake full set.
Not sure what you mean about the tach. Does it show 2250 before starting or when first started? When cold, my cars idle at 15-1700 rpm. When they come up to temp, they drop to around 800-850. If the tach is showing 2250 before starting, it may be an issue with the tachometer filter. If the relative motion seems OK, you may want to try repositioning the tach needle.

One of the things I'm going to have to change is the tyre profile from 215/60 14 there really expensive here in the UK with only one option.
14-inch tyres are getting hard to find everywhere. You may need to change wheel sizes. Any 5X100mm wheel with a 35mm offset and a 57mm bore should work. Depending on who is the manufacturer, you may need to use centering rings.

Also I have noticed what I think is an exhaust manifold gasket leak from the rear bank, I'm pretty sure its that it's ticky on cold start up and starts to disapear as the engine warms but you can still hear a whisper of air escaping.
Not unusual. The exhaust rear manifolds are prone to cracking. GM did a recall that removed the deck lid weather strip. After that, rain water could run down on the hot manifold cause cracks. Seldom do you find a Fiero V6 without manifold cracks. You can mig weld while the manifold is in place but it's best to remove them, bolt them to a rigid frame to ensure they keep their shape while welding, and mig or tig the cracks all around. Keep them bolted to the frame until they cool down.

So thats it for now, bodywork is ok from 20ft looks good 5ft not so much the gell coat has some crazing in it and the colour is washed out, plus someone has painted the bottom accents in a grey and after several washes the paint is coming off, it looks like its not been keyed properly to the silver, which I think i will return the car too. on the plus side i found the broken sail panels in several bits in the trunk, along with a full size spare tyre (but the rubber is toast shame) the sail panel is now repaired and I see no reason why a decent rattle can paint job wont bring them back to hallf decent condition.
Same with mine. I've a SIlver GT that's been stored inside and the paint and clearcoat is pretty good. My red SE coupe is pretty good from 10 feet but begins to show its age at 5 feet. It was stored outside in a carport that got lots of sun, hence the clearcoat is breaking down. My black GT is brilliant (below the belt line). From the belt line up the clear coat is lifting or like sand paper. It was stored outside under a tarp for 2-3 years by the previous owner. I'm refinishing it by sanding it back with 1200, 2000, and 3000 grit pads. It will then get a vinyl wrap.

I think thats all I have at the moment, any comments and advice would be greatly appreciated.
Keep us posted on the progress.

Thaks once again

Mich

[This message has been edited by Mike in Sydney (edited 06-11-2024).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay