Started on: 07-06-2024 07:40 PM
Replies: 16 (226 views)
Last post by: 82-T/A [At Work] on 08-02-2024 08:22 PM
lou_dias

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2024 07:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
vs 80's stock BMW diesel 2.5L inline 5 cylinder ... I shifted into 3rd in 2 and coasted
https://rumble.com/v55uugj-fiero-vs-bmw.html

vs 2014 Mustang GT it was surprisingly fast
https://rumble.com/v55uulp-...tang-gt-round-2.html

vs LS-swaaped Monte ... I don't have any other details
https://rumble.com/v55uuwz-...-vs-monte-carlo.html

Cold day and it rained until 2pm so all launches were horrible!
...and I still baby turn 4 too much...because I suck...
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 464
Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2024 07:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Dammit, tell your "videographer" to turn their phone 90°.

In that third race, if it's of any consolation, it appears you pushed him hard enough for the Monte Carlo to blow its engine!
lou_dias

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2024 08:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah he had to withdraw from the next round and eventually got it going again when the event was over and drove it away.
All I was told was that it was an 'LS' swap. He surprised me for sure.

Not sure if you can tell but there's puddles of water we had to drive thru from the infield to the track... Launching sucked even though I tried to baby it.

The 'regulars' from our track are going to a track in Virginia to put on a show there. I got invited to go but I intend to be out on my boat.
Next event is the first Saturday of August.

In the meantime, I have to get an oil change, retune for E85, make wider rear wheels work, and cover my front wheels with firebird fenders to stay within the 'rules'. They stick out 2 inches and I'm only allowed an inch. Lots of work to do...

[This message has been edited by lou_dias (edited 07-06-2024).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2024 08:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Who decides who gets the inside lane at the starting line? I'd like to see you take the inside lane at the start every time... and stay there!
lou_dias

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2024 09:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It used to be a coin toss. Now the guy just flips back and forth between left and right cars pulling up and asks one of us.

I think I'm figuring out what's happening in turn 4.
I think I'm slowing down and my front suspension is shot and I'm wabbling back to front and my left-front fender will rub ... which causes me to hit the brakes even harder and counter-steer to the outside.

A month or so ago, I was behind in a couple of races and I just powered thru it with nothing to lose and it handled great...

So I just need to maintain those instincts...and that's the hard part. It's easy to just say f-it when you're behind. When you're in the lead you try to not spin-out...which is causing me to feel like I'm going to spin-out...if that makes sense!?
TheDigitalAlchemist

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2024 12:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TheDigitalAlchemistClick Here to visit TheDigitalAlchemist's HomePageSend a Private Message to TheDigitalAlchemistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Those were cool, thanks for sharing
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2024 01:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by lou_dias:

I think I'm figuring out what's happening in turn 4.
I think I'm slowing down and my front suspension is shot and I'm wabbling back to front and my left-front fender will rub ... which causes me to hit the brakes even harder and counter-steer to the outside.

At autocross it was drilled into our heads to hit the brakes immediately before the turn, not while in the turn. (This helps to transfer weight to the front tires for grip in the initial part of the turn.) I imagine it would be somewhat similar in oval track racing? I guess the trick is to very quickly slow down just enough from the straightaway to be able to retain traction once in the turn, but being careful not to lose any more speed than necessary. Seems so simple! lol

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 07-08-2024).]

lou_dias

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2024 05:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
https://www.instagram.com/p/C9I823Rpspp/

A nice angle!

Also here's the whole event:

lou_dias

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2024 08:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Another angle
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2024 09:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Lou, I'm pretty sure I've asked you this before... but what is it that triggers the drivers to leave the starting line? It's too bad that whatever it is isn't being included in the shot of the cars at the line. I'd like to see who's actually jumping the gun, and who's asleep at the switch. For example, in the very first race above, between the Mustangs... why was there such a huge gap between when each car left the line? Did one guy cheat, or was the other guy checking his phone messages?

Look how far down the track this Mustang is. The other guy still hasn't moved off the starting line!

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 07-09-2024).]

lou_dias

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2024 05:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There's light-array on a pole near turn one. It almost blends in with the crowd and if you're somewhat short-sighted you may not see it.

A light turns red ... then green and you go.

If you've never been there before - you don't know where to look. It's easy to get caught sleeping at the wheel your first time.
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2024 07:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Okay, thanks Lou. Have I got the actual light circled in red?

And you'll notice the other guy is still checking his phone messages.
lou_dias

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2024 10:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
yes that's it...
as I said from the angle of the driver who's never been there before - when the lights are off while the cars from the last race are exiting the track, you may not know where to look if it's your first time there

it goes red then green pretty quickly once the track is clears and the current drivers are lined up
lou_dias

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2024 06:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I know you all wanted yet another angle.

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2024 03:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I was screaming at you in your second race, when after you had been on the inside lane for the whole race, you went so wide in turn four that you let that Mustang get the inside lane. It almost cost you!
lou_dias

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2024 07:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
As I said before ... it's because I take a horrible line...

I've been doing it for years apparently....

Here's my first 3.4 build from 1999...stock tires and suspension...probably a rear sway bar added.

[This message has been edited by lou_dias (edited 07-17-2024).]

82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 199
Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2024 08:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by lou_dias:

vs 80's stock BMW diesel 2.5L inline 5 cylinder ... I shifted into 3rd in 2 and coasted
https://rumble.com/v55uugj-fiero-vs-bmw.html

vs 2014 Mustang GT it was surprisingly fast
https://rumble.com/v55uulp-...tang-gt-round-2.html

vs LS-swaaped Monte ... I don't have any other details
https://rumble.com/v55uuwz-...-vs-monte-carlo.html

Cold day and it rained until 2pm so all launches were horrible!
...and I still baby turn 4 too much...because I suck...

That was some nice racing!!!

I cringed every time he called you "die-azz" ... lol.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock