New owner of a Fiero by AngelOf86
Started on: 07-10-2024 07:05 PM
Replies: 26 (442 views)
Last post by: Green Magic Man on 08-15-2024 06:27 PM
AngelOf86

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2024 07:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AngelOf86Send a Private Message to AngelOf86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi my names Hailey, I just got my first car a 1986 pontiac fiero gt. I bought it with the engine blown and in currently doing a 3800 supercharged swap.
Anyone else have a 86 gt that they can give me tips on and this car? I bought the car because it looked fun honestly I thought I'd be disappointed but once I sat in the driver's seat I was sold I love him. I just don't know the first thing about fieros or maintenance on them. How often should I do everything? I'd love some help with learning about my new car.

------------------
AngelOf86

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 464
Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2024 07:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by AngelOf86:

...currently doing a 3800 supercharged swap... don't know the first thing about fieros or maintenance on them.

Welcome. If you're capable of swapping engines, then regular maintenance should be no issue for you. You may wish to familiarize yourself with the forum's Search function. There's 25 years worth of PFF information at your fingertips.
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 252
Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2024 07:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
And also please post photos.
AngelOf86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2024 07:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AngelOf86Send a Private Message to AngelOf86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

Welcome. If you're capable of swapping engines, then regular maintenance should be no issue for you. You may wish to familiarize yourself with the forum's Search function. There's 25 years worth of PFF information at your fingertips.

I have a mechanic doing it but I'm helping out in order to learn. I just bought the fiero today and immediately dropped him off for necessary repairs. Thanks for the tip ill definitely be using that.

------------------
AngelOf86

Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 464
Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2024 08:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I just bought the fiero today and immediately dropped him off for necessary repairs.

I don't suppose the rear upper frame rails were checked for rust before purchasing this Fiero?

I'm not saying that this is necessarily going to be the situation here, but 30+/- year old cars often have frames and/or suspension that are completely rotted away.

Don't start putting money into this car until it's been determined that it was actually worthwhile buying. Not trying to be a buzz-killer, but so many people have come through here over the years and realized too late that they bought a fine "looking" Fiero (because the body panels don't rust) only to discover it's a basket-case under the pretty facade.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 07-11-2024).]

cvxjet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2024 08:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
1) Be aware of DTO (Drop-throttle-oversteer) You enter a turn going fast- realize TOO fast- so cut the throttle and the tail swings around....just realize that if this happens get back on the throttle a bit which will stabilize the car. I actually practiced the situation on freeway-cloverleaf turns coming home from work every day.

2) Jacking a Fiero can be a bit dangerous- the rear-end of the rocker-panels gets people in trouble- it looks "solid" but is just plastic. Use this diagram- print it and keep a copy in the car;

[This message has been edited by cvxjet (edited 07-10-2024).]

Mike in Sydney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2024 09:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike in SydneySend a Private Message to Mike in SydneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I don't suppose the rear upper frame rails were checked for rust before purchasing this Fiero?

I'm not saying that's this is necessarily going to be the situation here, but 30+/- year old cars often have frames and/or suspension that are completely rotted away.

Don't start putting money into this car until it's been determined that it was actually worthwhile buying. Not trying to be a buzz-killer, but so many people have come through here over the years and realized too late that they bought a fine "looking" Fiero (because the body panels don't rust) only to discover it's a basket-case under the pretty facade.

Patrick, Looking at Hailey's location (Maricopa County, Arizona), I think rust may not be an issue IF the car lived there most of its life. Also, sounds like a 3800 swap is underway so it sounds like serious money is currently being invested.

Hailey, I'm not saying don't check for rust, Patrick is spot on. Rust never sleeps and on the off-chance that it is a problem, limit your investment and look elsewhere for a solid, rust-free ride.

To learn about your car, get a factory service manual. Lots of places on the web where you can get a free download.
IMSA GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2024 09:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here is her car. I converted her photos from the other thread.

AngelOf86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2024 09:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AngelOf86Send a Private Message to AngelOf86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I'm not saying that's this is necessarily going to be the situation here, but 30+/- year old cars often have frames and/or suspension that are completely rotted away.

Complete arizona car I'm the 3rd owner I took said mechanic who's a family friend to look at it with me and he found no issues aside from the engine.
UPDATE: Not an all arizona car I ran the vin and looked through the service manual it came with. I. The 5th owner and it was originally in Wisconsin for 15 years. I'll check today for rust.

[This message has been edited by AngelOf86 (edited 07-26-2024).]

1985 Fiero GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2024 09:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1985 Fiero GTSend a Private Message to 1985 Fiero GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well first off, some fun information:

A lot of people will say that it will catch fire, but the only Fieros that had a fire problem were the first model year, 1984, they had several problems that were fixed in following years, and non existent in the v6, and obviously, any well done engine swaps.

Some people will say it is not a safe car, that is totally incorrect. It is the safest car ever produced without airbags and safer than many many cars with airbags, in part due to having the engine in the back, so the whole front end is a huge crumple zone, as well as having such a spacious cabin, with proper seat placement, there's nothing to smash into you. The crash test numbers regarding the chest deceleration and femur load are better than a 2024 Ford F-150 in a head on crash, other test numbers are likely better or equivalent, but I've only researched the head on test.

I bought my 85 gt just over a year ago, as my first car, for last winter I got a beater car, which I sold a few months ago, and picked up another, better beater. With a Fiero, you should keep a cheap beater car around, at least for the winter (not sure how much snow/salt you get, up here where I am in Canada, one winters driving will start enough rust that there's no prevention, just coping with it, and trying to get as much life as possible from it). If it's summer all year round and you can get stuff fixed fast, you might not need to worry about a beater, although it's always a good idea.

[This message has been edited by 1985 Fiero GT (edited 07-10-2024).]

AngelOf86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2024 10:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AngelOf86Send a Private Message to AngelOf86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 1985 Fiero GT:

A lot of people will say that it will catch fire, but the only Fieros that had a fire problem were the first model year, 1984, they had several problems that were fixed in following years, and non existent in the v6, and obviously, any well done engine swaps.

Some people will say it is not a safe car, that is totally incorrect. It is the safest car ever produced without airbags and safer than many many cars with airbags, in part due to having the engine in the back, so the whole front end is a huge crumple zone, as well as having such a spacious cabin, with proper seat placement, there's nothing to smash into you. The crash test numbers regarding the chest deceleration and femur load are better than a 2024 Ford F-150 in a head on crash, other test numbers are likely better or equivalent, but I've only researched the head on test.

I bought my 85 gt just over a year ago, as my first car, for last winter I got a beater car, which I sold a few months ago, and picked up another, better beater. With a Fiero, you should keep a cheap beater car around, at least for the winter (not sure how much snow/salt you get, up here where I am in Canada, one winters driving will start enough rust that there's no prevention, just coping with it, and trying to get as much life as possible from it). If it's summer all year round and you can get stuff fixed fast, you might not need to worry about a beater, although it's always a good idea.

Ya I have a 2024 kawasaki ninja 600 motorcycle I'm using when my fieros in the shop. I also have access to a truck if I'll need it while It's getting done.
PFF
System Bot
richard in nc

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2024 10:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for richard in ncSend a Private Message to richard in ncEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by 1985 Fiero GT:

it was the second safest car sold in the us in 1984 second only to a volvo.
1985 Fiero GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2024 10:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1985 Fiero GTSend a Private Message to 1985 Fiero GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by richard in nc:

it was the second safest car sold in the us in 1984 second only to a volvo.

Yes, the Volvo had airbags, making the Fiero the safest car ever sold without airbags, and safer than many with airbags, like I said.
jelly2m8

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 243
Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2024 10:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jelly2m8Send a Private Message to jelly2m8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you / your mechanic are doing a 3800 swap the first thing is to search this forum for 3800 swap treads. Everything has been documented in detail. Know what your in for, all the work arounds for anything you run into.
JohnWPB

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2024 11:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welcome!

I went through this a few years ago. I knew NOTHING about doing a 3800 swap. With TONS of help from this forum, and from YouTube, I did it!

Have a look at MY BUILD THREAD STARTING ON PAGE 13. I detailed the entire process, parts needed, tips, tricks, where to get specific parts, and even a price breakdown of the swap. I also took and posted photos of everything.

I hope this helps!

[This message has been edited by JohnWPB (edited 07-10-2024).]

IMSA GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2024 09:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well? How's it going Hailey?
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2024 09:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Hi my names Hailey, I just got my first car a 1986 pontiac fiero gt. I bought it with the engine blown and in currently doing a 3800 supercharged swap.

Welcome aboard!

Fiero Owner's and Service Manuals and more...
You especially want to read Fiero by Gary Witzenburg.
https://fieroinfo.com/

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 329
Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2024 03:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
With an updated low miles engine and transmission your Fiero can be reliable but on the other hand it's 30+ years old. This would mean that things like suspension parts, bushings and hoses need to be carefully checked, as do the tires that are dated. Maintained in good shape Fieros are fun cars to drive.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

AngelOf86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2024 09:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AngelOf86Send a Private Message to AngelOf86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
UPDATE: It's going well so far we got the cradle out today and I'm replacing all the control arms and suspension while it's out. I've got good news and bad new. Bad news first. There's rust. Good news. It's surface rust and I'm taking care of that first. For a car that was in Wisconsin for 15 years I'm surprised it's not worse. Only on the battery tray, exhaust and oil pan. I named him Sirius because it means "scorcher" in greek as a joke because of the reputation of fieros

------------------
AngelOf86

dizzie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2024 10:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dizzieSend a Private Message to dizzieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I named him Sirius because it means "scorcher" in greek as a joke because of the reputation of fieros

hahaha nice!! cool name
cliffw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2024 12:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Anyone else have a 86 gt that they can give me tips on and this car? I bought the car because it looked fun honestly I thought I'd be disappointed but once I sat in the driver's seat I was sold I love him. I just don't know the first thing about fieros or maintenance on them. How often should I do everything? I'd love some help with learning about my new car.

You have an 86. Mechanically exactly like all 84's to 87's. Still a good thing. The only other year was the 88 which has a more modern suspension.

Good luck with your swap. My Fiero is not "broken" as is fun as it is. I will be going with a 3800SC swap when needed.

One last thing you should know. Don't plan on this being your only Fiero. Ask anyone.
PFF
System Bot
Dukesterpro

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2024 01:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DukesterproSend a Private Message to DukesterproEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Actually. There are some mechanical differences in the 84 model year. but 85 through 87 and mechanically the same. As a rule of thumb don't buy 84 parts for anything but an 84. Save the headache
cliffw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2024 09:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by IMSA GT:
Here is her car. I converted her photos from the other thread.

WARNING !

It is not wise to tow a fiero such as in that photo. When pulling any trailer, the heavier weight should be at the front of said trailer, or it will sway, which can be very bad.

In addition, pulling a Fiero loaded dolly, with the rear wheels on the dolly deck, the drive train does not rotate. Some, many rear wheel cars, need to drive shaft removed so a transmission does not burn up from lack of lubrication.

armos

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2024 02:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for armosSend a Private Message to armosEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks like a twin of my car, except the sunroof. If you keep it maintained then a Fiero can be reliable. Some people are afraid of them, but it's mechanically just like any other mid-80s GM.
You may go through a struggle of unreliability until you get problems sorted out (depending what level of use and maintenance the car has been getting previously).

Don't rely too much on a mechanic - that can quickly become unaffordable. Professional mechanics are better with modern common cars that they see every day, and which aren't old enough to need constant "awareness" from the owner. The mechanic won't be around in daily driving to notice when something might need attention, so with an old car it's important for the owner to be on top of things.

An old car like this is great if you're motivated to be a DIY owner. That includes not just being willing to do the work, but also having the curiosity to research and learn how the various systems function and how to troubleshoot them.
Old cars are simpler to diagnose and work on than modern cars, and the parts are cheaper. You can have a much more rewarding relationship with your car when you are able to work on it yourself.
A 3800 swap (I assume it would be a late 90s OBD2-era setup) may complicate it some, and getting help may be harder since it's not a standard Fiero anymore, but lots of people on this forum will be familiar with what's typical for a 3800 installation.

Oil and overheating issues are IMO the 2 leading things that kill old cars.

Keep checking the oil and the coolant level.
Check the transmission fluid.
Make sure the radiator fan works.
Check that the radiator doesn't leak - sometimes they leak when they get hot (there's more pressure when hot). Look for any leaking hoses, again more likely when it's hot.

If you're driving and you notice it's getting hot, and you think the radiator fan isn't running, you can force it on by turning on the AC. If your AC is actually working though, then this will increase the load on the engine and could make it heat up worse.
AngelOf86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-2024 01:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AngelOf86Send a Private Message to AngelOf86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by armos:

Looks like a twin of my car, except the sunroof. If you keep it maintained then a Fiero can be reliable. Some people are afraid of them, but it's mechanically just like any other mid-80s GM.
You may go through a struggle of unreliability until you get problems sorted out (depending what level of use and maintenance the car has been getting previously).

Don't rely too much on a mechanic - that can quickly become unaffordable. Professional mechanics are better with modern common cars that they see every day, and which aren't old enough to need constant "awareness" from the owner. The mechanic won't be around in daily driving to notice when something might need attention, so with an old car it's important for the owner to be on top of things.

An old car like this is great if you're motivated to be a DIY owner. That includes not just being willing to do the work, but also having the curiosity to research and learn how the various systems function and how to troubleshoot them.
Old cars are simpler to diagnose and work on than modern cars, and the parts are cheaper. You can have a much more rewarding relationship with your car when you are able to work on it yourself.
A 3800 swap (I assume it would be a late 90s OBD2-era setup) may complicate it some, and getting help may be harder since it's not a standard Fiero anymore, but lots of people on this forum will be familiar with what's typical for a 3800 installation.

Oil and overheating issues are IMO the 2 leading things that kill old cars.

Keep checking the oil and the coolant level.
Check the transmission fluid.
Make sure the radiator fan works.
Check that the radiator doesn't leak - sometimes they leak when they get hot (there's more pressure when hot). Look for any leaking hoses, again more likely when it's hot.

If you're driving and you notice it's getting hot, and you think the radiator fan isn't running, you can force it on by turning on the AC. If your AC is actually working though, then this will increase the load on the engine and could make it heat up worse.

Previous owner was a DIY guy. The radiator fan works. He installed a "redneck bypass" on it because it took forever to turn on so he made it so I take off the cover on my left ashtray and there's a house light switch there. I'll post a pic of it whenever I'm at my mechanics house. I'm doing everything myself except for the engine swap. I know nothing about cars really, this is my first ever car and no one in my family works on them. Thankfully it came with the original owners manual and he updated it until 2002 idk about the other 3 owners after. I'm hoping to give it a better look out on life. I'm really compassionate to old cars especially my fiero. I felt oddly attached to them idk why. I feel like I have a lot in common with them. I don't really feel like I have a chance in life but I'm hoping to help give a chance to something else that shares a story with me. So far even though I'm looking at much more then what I paid for the car in repairs im looking at about 4k. I paid 1.3K. I don't care if I end up spending 12k on this car I'm not giving up on it. I can't let myself feel like I let another thing down.

------------------
AngelOf86

[This message has been edited by AngelOf86 (edited 08-15-2024).]

82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 200
Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-2024 08:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Previous owner was a DIY guy. The radiator fan works. He installed a "redneck bypass" on it because it took forever to turn on so he made it so I take off the cover on my left ashtray and there's a house light switch there. I'll post a pic of it whenever I'm at my mechanics house. I'm doing everything myself except for the engine swap. I know nothing about cars really, this is my first ever car and no one in my family works on them. Thankfully it came with the original owners manual and he updated it until 2002 idk about the other 3 owners after. I'm hoping to give it a better look out on life. I'm really compassionate to old cars especially my fiero. I felt oddly attached to them idk why. I feel like I have a lot in common with them. I don't really feel like I have a chance in life but I'm hoping to help give a chance to something else that shares a story with me. So far even though I'm looking at much more then what I paid for the car in repairs im looking at about 4k. I paid 1.3K. I don't care if I end up spending 12k on this car I'm not giving up on it. I can't let myself feel like I let another thing down.

Hey Angel, these cars can be a lot of fun, and they are addicting. I still have my very first Fiero, which I bought used when I was in high school (graduated in 1996). It's been in storage, but I'm helping my daughter restore her car right now. Biggest thing is to keep control of the costs (if that's a concern). I know you said you're taking it to a mechanic, but try to do as much as you absolutely / positively can yourself. The thing is, working on cars isn't really that hard, but it just requires the right tools, and the ability to take a step back / second look at problems before you attempt to tackle them. It's easy to throw money and parts at a problem, but you get a better result by really diagnosing what the problems are.

Sometimes... you have to take a whole ton of stuff apart before you can really get the car working properly. But more importantly, we're all here to help, that includes helping you find parts, and providing advice.

I highly recommend you get a service manual for your car. You can buy them for about $70 bucks on TheMotorBookStore.com, or you can also find them for download somewhere (someone has the links).

Don't feel bad asking "stupid" questions here on Pennocks either, that's what we're all here for.
Green Magic Man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-2024 06:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Green Magic ManSend a Private Message to Green Magic ManEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You have a very interesting perspective on your car. I’m sure you will endear a lot of help and goodwill with your attitude. Your forum name is quite apt too.
Best of luck !
(Also new Fiero owner)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock