Started on: 07-31-2024 12:31 PM
Replies: 16 (537 views)
Last post by: D3V0LV3R on 10-23-2024 03:31 PM
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 329
Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2024 12:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just noticed that the Fiero Factory of Toney Al is in the process of being moved to Colorado. The parts business was purchased a while ago but the service business might still be there. Not sure if they still do repair work or or even if Jeremy is still in the auto repair business. The Fiero Factory used to be a great place for parts, service and swaps but when Ed Parks (RIP) retired and sold out, things have never been the same. We have good memories of going to the open house held yearly there years back. Many of us were young back then and remember those great times but all things change. Carlisle now remains the go to spot for many of us.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
82-T/A [At Work]

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 200
Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2024 12:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

Just noticed that the Fiero Factory of Toney Al is in the process of being moved to Colorado. The parts business was purchased a while ago but the service business might still be there. Not sure if they still do repair work or or even if Jeremy is still in the auto repair business. The Fiero Factory used to be a great place for parts, service and swaps but when Ed Parks (RIP) retired and sold out, things have never been the same. We have good memories of going to the open house held yearly there years back. Many of us were young back then and remember those great times but all things change. Carlisle now remains the go to spot for many of us.

Yeah, I don't want to talk bad about it, but there have been many parts I've desperately needed, and emailed them a bunch of times. Sometimes I get a response, but there's never any follow-through. The most promising thing I got was a promise to follow-up with me (whomever it was) because they were busy. I followed up with them like 4 more times, but then kind of got the hint. I was ready to buy a lot of parts... some things I still need. Kind of bummed... but it's what it is I guess.

EDIT: But back when Ed Parks had it, I used to call him all the time. I bought so much from him, and I helped him save a few Fieros. He'd come down to the local junkyard and I'd "flag" cars for him. He saved a few 88s because of that... including a yellow 88 GT with TTOPs... though it had a little bit of forklift damage.

[This message has been edited by 82-T/A [At Work] (edited 08-01-2024).]

Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2024 01:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I believe that the Fiero Factory parts business may now be owned by Mike Valentine who is Colorado based, hence the move there. As for Jeremy Biggs, the former owner of the business that took over the repair business and renamed it TFF Automotive, that may no longer be doing Fiero work.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H

[This message has been edited by Dennis LaGrua (edited 08-01-2024).]

mrfiero

Feedback score:    (91)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2024 08:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfieroSend a Private Message to mrfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 82-T/A [At Work]:
Yeah, I don't want to talk bad about it, but there have been many parts I've desperately needed, and emailed them a bunch of times. Sometimes I get a response, but there's never any follow-through. The most promising thing I got was a promise to follow-up with me (whomever it was) because they were busy. I followed up with them like 4 more times, but then kind of got the hint. I was ready to buy a lot of parts... some things I still need. Kind of bummed... but it's what it is I guess.

EDIT: But back when Ed Parks had it, I used to call him all the time. I bought so much from him, and I helped him save a few Fieros. He'd come down to the local junkyard and I'd "flag" cars for him. He saved a few 88s because of that... including a yellow 88 GT with TTOPs... though it had a little bit of forklift damage.

Answering the phones and emails is enough to fill up an enitre day. It's never-ending and it's relentless. If I don't answer the phone right away I get multiple calls in a row by that person and rarely a message to call back. Same with emails. I just can't answer emails on a daily basis and when I do reply the next day or a couple of days later I get hit with "oh...I bought that somewhere else". I can't win.

All Ed had to do was answer the phones and emails and haul parts cars around. He had several employees (myself included back in the late 90's) to do everything else. Imagine if he did everything that he did PLUS stripped the parts, boxed the parts and all the other stuff it takes to run a small business. He would have failed.

As for my lack of follow through....I'll own that. Unlike previous owners or other people in the parts business I want to get my hands on the exact part you want before saying that I absolutely have one and it's spectacular. Everyone else tells you this first then they collect your money and try to find something that'll work. Maybe that's my mistake, because sometimes it takes me a few days to find a nice part. I don't sell anything I wouldn't use on my own car so I tend to nit-pick and then I get sidetracked by other orders or life events, etc. I also occasionally "lose" the conversation. I get personal emails and personal DM's through Facebook or text messages on my phone (on top of business emails, phone messages, DM's etc) and I simply can't find who I was talking with or where I was talking to them.

The other issue is sort of how you started things.....you desperately needed something. Everyone is seemingly desperate for something when they call me. Multiply that out by dozens of people every week who desperately need something, but doesn't want to wait.....they want that part now! I've taken orders on a Friday afternoon and gotten called first thing Monday morning asking where their part was. Hint: it's still attached to the car!

I suppose if this venture was actually making money I could accept working 18 hour days (including weekends) and having no life of my own, but that's not how it is. There is little to no money to be made selling used Fiero parts on a large scale. It's counter intuitive, to a degree, but it's true. Oh I can sell the "hot" parts right away, but what about the other 95% of the car? It sits and sits and sits and costs me money to store for very little return.

Maybe it's the concierge nature of this business that is frustrating. People call me up cold and ask for a random part and I need to figure out right then and there if I have one and how much to charge. I have been toying with the idea of a true online store.....much like the Fiero Store or Rodney's website. Basically, it'll be a "here's what I have and how much it is....do you want one?" sort of thing and not what I'm doing right now, which is clearly not working.

Dang! I didn't want this to read like a whine-fest, but it seems I failed at that too.
mrfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2024 08:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfieroSend a Private Message to mrfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

mrfiero

9001 posts
Member since Mar 99
FYI to everyone.....Ed Parks created the Fiero Factory back in the mid 1990's. It included the junkyard as well as a repair shop (they also did engine swaps). Jeremy Biggs bought the Fiero Factory from Ed in 2010 (I believe) and soon after re-branded it as TFF Auto Center. He did this because he found out a 100% Fiero only business was not sustainable. He now works on all makes and models of cars as well as Fieros. In 2019, I bought the Fiero Factory from Jeremy and this is where the confusion starts. He still owns and operates TFF Auto Center in Toneyt, AL....all I did was buy the Fiero business from him that he largely shelved and ignored.

I worked out of that same Toney, AL space for several years, but I still lived in Colorado, so it made sense to me to move the business up here to Denver. I have been slowly doing that for the past 2 years. For all intents & purposes, the Fiero Factory has been in Colorado for the past 2 years, but there are still a lot of cars & parts in Alabama that I am dealing with.

So.....to clarify: Jeremy Biggs still owns and operates TFF Auto Center at the site of the original Fiero Factory in Toney, AL. He owns that property and he will be there until he decides to retire.

Mike Valentine (me!) owns The Fiero Factory and has moved the base of operations to Denver, CO.

To clarify even further.....TFF Auto Center used to be the Fiero Factory, but is now its own entity, The Fiero Facvtory was spun off/broken away from TFF Auto Center in 2019 and the two are now separate businesses owned and run by 2 different people in 2 different states.

If you drive by the location in Alabama you will still see a sign that says "The Fiero Factory" and you will still see the remains of 100+ Fieros, but trust me.....The Fiero Factory doesn't live there anymore.
ceverhart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2024 08:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ceverhartSend a Private Message to ceverhartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I received a 88 fiero cradle in my drive way in the middle of no-where KS from the current owner of the Fiero Factory. He gave me tons of pictures of the 2 cradles he could provide for me and let me choose. He was on his way down south to pick up another car and altered course to deliver to my house....I have no complaints and would happily reach out if I needed more parts.
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 206
Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2024 12:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have done a lot of business with the new owner of The Fiero Factory.
I have sold him parts, and he has sold me parts.
He's a good guy and very conscientious.
I enjoy any interaction that I have with him.
Stop by anytime Mike!
82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2024 02:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mrfiero:

As for my lack of follow through....I'll own that.

The other issue is sort of how you started things.....you desperately needed something. Everyone is seemingly desperate for something when they call me. Multiply that out by dozens of people every week who desperately need something, but doesn't want to wait.....they want that part now! I've taken orders on a Friday afternoon and gotten called first thing Monday morning asking where their part was. Hint: it's still attached to the car!

Dang! I didn't want this to read like a whine-fest, but it seems I failed at that too.

I don't want to come off negative, I never intended to do that when I made my first response, but I did want to address this, because I think you're misrepresenting my communication with you. I needed the parts desperately, but I didn't convey that at all in my e-mails to you. I'd simply made a list of about 12 parts that I needed for restoration (this was last year in June of 2023). You'd responded the first time telling me you were on a road trip getting a new parts car and would be busy and get back to me, to which I said "Hi, no rush at all, thank you very much!!!" I followed up again in July, August, and again in September, each time saying... "No rush, but definitely still interested." I never heard back from you again.

Believe me... I totally understand how hard all of this is to manage, and I appreciate what you're doing regardless. But I ended up buying all of these things from other places, realistically because I came to the conclusion that I was either being ghosted, or that you just weren't selling parts anymore.

If you drive by the location in Alabama you will still see a sign that says "The Fiero Factory" and you will still see the remains of 100+ Fieros, but trust me.....The Fiero Factory doesn't live there anymore.

Are those cars still yours, or are they just abandoned? I'd hate to think all of those cars are just rotting away... or is that where your parts are coming from?
bergertime

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2024 09:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bergertimeSend a Private Message to bergertimeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Mike has always done me right, it may take a bit, but he did hand deliver some stuff to me in BFE Arkansas and we talked a bit before he hit the road. These were larger pieces that would have cost a ton in shipping. He's a great resouces, just be aware. I love your videos TA, but they are a little slow coming out too.
mrfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2024 03:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfieroSend a Private Message to mrfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 82-T/A [At Work]:

I don't want to come off negative, I never intended to do that when I made my first response, but I did want to address this, because I think you're misrepresenting my communication with you. I needed the parts desperately, but I didn't convey that at all in my e-mails to you. I'd simply made a list of about 12 parts that I needed for restoration (this was last year in June of 2023). You'd responded the first time telling me you were on a road trip getting a new parts car and would be busy and get back to me, to which I said "Hi, no rush at all, thank you very much!!!" I followed up again in July, August, and again in September, each time saying... "No rush, but definitely still interested." I never heard back from you again.

Believe me... I totally understand how hard all of this is to manage, and I appreciate what you're doing regardless. But I ended up buying all of these things from other places, realistically because I came to the conclusion that I was either being ghosted, or that you just weren't selling parts anymore.

I didn't take it that way, but your reply could have been written by any number of people over the past year or 2 that I seemingly ghosted so it's something I needed to address. Believe me....it was not intentional. It's just that I nearly lost my mind last year with constant trips back & forth. It's right at 1300 miles each way, so not a quick trip. I was making 2 and sometimes 3 trips a month while trying to keep up with orders and emails. I was down there so much that the staff at the Best Western still knows me by name.

I honestly don't know what happened with you and your emails, but I imagine you were one of many people that I never got back to because it was easier to ignore than make continuous apologies. Sad, but true and for that I am truly sorry.

Are those cars still yours, or are they just abandoned? I'd hate to think all of those cars are just rotting away... or is that where your parts are coming from?

No, they are not abandoned. It's complicated, but I own the parts and Jeremy owns the cars. I made a deal with him awhile ago for him to buy whatever I couldn't bring back to Colorado. When I go down there I strip parts to bring back to Colorado and haul back whatever whole car that makes sense to bring back. Also, most of those cars have been rotting there since Ed owned the place, so don't feel bad for them. At least 1/3 should have been crushed a decade ago.

I plan on making some trips this fall (when it's cooler down there) to pull cradles, suspension parts, etc. The plan is for me to be finished with the Alabama location by the end of the year. After that I imagine Jeremy will start crushing what's left.
82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2024 07:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I honestly don't know what happened with you and your emails, but I imagine you were one of many people that I never got back to because it was easier to ignore than make continuous apologies. Sad, but true and for that I am truly sorry.

Not a problem, I understand the situation now. I've gotten all that I need that's absolutely needed to get the car on the road. But I am still interested in several other parts. Can I e-mail you some of the things I need? Again, I'm not in a rush... I can wait until the next time you go down there... I mean it... and most of the things aren't all that bad.

No, they are not abandoned. It's complicated, but I own the parts and Jeremy owns the cars. I made a deal with him awhile ago for him to buy whatever I couldn't bring back to Colorado. When I go down there I strip parts to bring back to Colorado and haul back whatever whole car that makes sense to bring back. Also, most of those cars have been rotting there since Ed owned the place, so don't feel bad for them. At least 1/3 should have been crushed a decade ago.

I plan on making some trips this fall (when it's cooler down there) to pull cradles, suspension parts, etc. The plan is for me to be finished with the Alabama location by the end of the year. After that I imagine Jeremy will start crushing what's left.

Do you have contact information for Jeremy? Honestly... I'm sure Jeremy doesn't want to have to deal with this stuff... but if he were to put those cars up for sale on eBay... understanding of course that they likely wouldn't have titles... I'm sure there would be a lot of people who would be interested in buying many of them. There's so many people looking for kit car frames... and unfortunately, they buy running Fieros ... STILL, when all they need is just a chassis.

I'd hope that if you can, save all the Performance Sound "kits," T-Tops, mirrored moonroofs, things like that which are kind of rare. Any rare 1984 Rally Computers? I heard there were a couple of prototypes... 
PFF
System Bot
82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2024 03:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'll just throw this in here... I need the following things if anyone has them (most important one is in Orange).

1 – Drivers side threshold + kick panel (whatever it’s called) that goes over the emergency brake and goes up and under the dash. It’s usually held in by a few little 7mm screws with little caps. I need one of these (unbroken at the emergency brake) in “light grey” for my daughter’s 1985 Fiero 2m4.

2 – I need the little grey caps that go into them from #1.

3 – 1987-1988 Fiero 4 cyl / V5 Compressor AC Lines (the lines that go from the compressor to the body in the engine bay).

4 – Third brake-light, I need both the light housing (mine is totally trashed), and the interior cover as well (in light grey).

5 – 1984 “Fresh Air” vent system for non-A/C cars (has the two little buttons under the dash, and pops open those vents in the cowl.
Raydar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2024 02:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
When I need something, I usually just hit Mike on Farcebook. He usually gets back to me in a day or two. No big.
But I've been buying parts from Mike since long before he bought the business.
Instead of moving the business, I wish he would have just moved out this way.
But I get it. It gets so hot out here in the summer, that the pine trees follow the dogs around, looking for water.
Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2024 08:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Mike Valentine has been into Fieros for many years and has a good reputation. I would not hesitate to buy from him. Hes a long time Fiero guy and has owned quite a number of Fieros. I recall that years back he owned a very nice Fiero with a N* engine.

------------------
"THE COLUSSUS"

mrfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2024 01:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfieroSend a Private Message to mrfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:

Instead of moving the business, I wish he would have just moved out this way.
But I get it. It gets so hot out here in the summer, that the pine trees follow the dogs around, looking for water.

I bought The Fiero Factory 5 years ago with the intention of running the business from my house in Colorado. I planned on being "Ed Parks", meaning I would answer the phone and e-mails from my home and send orders to the crew in Alabama to pull and ship. I had it all worked out in my head.....then Covid happened. The "crew" (just one employee at that time) was let go and everything fell on me. So I found myself living in Colorado, but all the Fiero stuff was in Alabama. I made multiple trips to & from Alabama over the next few years....so many trips that it would have been cheaper to buy a second house down there instead of living in hotels.

To your point, I did consider selling my house in Denver and moving to Alabama. I even went house shopping and found a few places that I really wanted. One was a nice older place on 22 acres with enough out buildings to move the Fiero business into. At that time, the housing market in Colorado was white hot and Alabama was luke warm.....perfect timing! I just couldn't get anything going in time. Believe it or not, things flip-flopped and the market in Colorado softened and Huntsville became the #1 place to move to. So I would have had to sell my house at a loss and over-pay for something in Alabama. I couldn't make that make sense.

I could get used to the humidity. I wouldn't like it, but I could get used to it. The way things are going, I will likely have to sell my house and move anyway, so it is possible I'll find my way south where it is marginally cheaper. The liklihood that The Fiero Factory survives is pretty low though. I would need to sell everything off to pay the massive debt I've incurred trying to keep it open.
kwagner

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2024 04:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kwagnerClick Here to visit kwagner's HomePageSend a Private Message to kwagnerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A shame, but understandable. Hope things work out for you and you end up in the black after all is said and done.
D3V0LV3R

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2024 03:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for D3V0LV3RSend a Private Message to D3V0LV3REdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had the impression that Ed made a lot of sacrifices to serve the Fiero community. Not many people would do that. I guess he turned a hobby into a job and the community was a big part of his social life. It's logical that the demand for Fiero parts and service would decrease over time, so it should be harder to specialize in Fieros, and the cost for all things Fiero would increase (and add overall inflation to that). Resale value for Fieros doesn't seem to be great, so pretty much demand is limited to enthusiasts. So here's a big THANK YOU to Mike and others who still support the Fiero community.

From googling TFF recently it looks like it's still in business. It looks like they have very good reviews on facebook. I think it's just Jeremy, his Dad and maybe one other employee doing the hands-on work, so maybe he also has little time to respond to emails and phone calls. It seems like I remember there being some medical issues in his family as well. FYI, I'm still wanting to get a swap done there if he's still doing it. I'm not sure he is since finding a donor vehicle might be too time consuming.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock