95 Toyota Tacoma 4WD Front Wheel Bearing by Dizzixx
Started on: 08-31-2015 11:16 AM
Replies: 8 (405 views)
Last post by: Dizzixx on 09-10-2015 08:49 AM
Dizzixx

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2015 11:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DizzixxSend a Private Message to DizzixxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I recently replaced both front wheel bearing in my 95 Toyota Tacoma 4WD. They were pretty sloppy (lots of play top and bottom of wheel), were producing a lot of road noise, and the steering was getting a bit squirrelly. While doing this I noted that there was what appeared to be a piece missing on the drivers side. It is a small brass bushing.

This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.

the image is from this youtube video
https://youtu.be/JFO6RPPTv4w

Anyone know exactly what this part does? Or if its absence would cause the bearing to walk again? I ask because initially after the repair it drove great but after just a few weeks things have deteriorated and there is now significant play in the drivers side again. I am planning to do the bearing again but want to make sure I do not have to do it again.

I have the parts manual but I cannot find that part, I think it may be considered part of the hub. Do you think it is possible I can communicate to the dealer the part I need and then order it? Otherwise I will have to tear one at the junkyard.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
thesameguy

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2015 07:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for thesameguySend a Private Message to thesameguyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It looks like just part of the seal...

Are you sure you got the hub nut torqued properly?

[This message has been edited by thesameguy (edited 08-31-2015).]

Dizzixx

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2015 08:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DizzixxSend a Private Message to DizzixxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It is 4WD with a free wheeling hub, the half shaft pokes through the hub and is held in place by a snap ring. Here is a better drawing

Dizzixx

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2015 05:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DizzixxSend a Private Message to DizzixxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Also it was definitely not part of the seal. It was a separate component and came out freely.

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2015 10:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dizzixx:

Looks like the "free wheel hub cover" towards the top right in this pic.

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 09-03-2015).]

Dizzixx

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2015 10:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DizzixxSend a Private Message to DizzixxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is the hub cover (black and red)

and is definitely not what I am looking for.

[This message has been edited by Dizzixx (edited 09-04-2015).]

Khw

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 134
Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2015 10:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
To me it looks like the free wheel hub lock nut. It appears you would need a special wrench that would seat in the 6 notches to be tightened and loosened. If that is it, without it you would have bearing walk. It wouldn't have to be really tight but it holds the bearing in place.

[This message has been edited by Khw (edited 09-09-2015).]

Dizzixx

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2015 08:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DizzixxSend a Private Message to DizzixxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thats actually what I thought initially. I got that part and the spacer from the dealer thinking it had to be one or the other. Its not either. The lock nut is definitely there, I dont have the special tool to remove it so we had to use a hammer and punch to knock it out. This was done the same as the other side and locked in place by tapping an edge of the axle hub that sticks through into one of the hole (ie - imagine a tab that you tap flat to lock the nut)

If at the time I had known it was this cheap I would have bought this I still might

Here is a good picture showing both components

Note: I believe this is a picture of the rear but this portion of the setup, the nut and the brass thingy, is the same.

This is a picture of the front showing the lock nut removed (you can alse see where it was most likely tabbed in to lock it) the brash thing is not shown.

Dizzixx

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2015 08:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DizzixxSend a Private Message to DizzixxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Dizzixx

1470 posts
Member since Oct 2005
In this picture it appears there is one on both sides of the hub

Of course the parts manual I have does not break out the wheel hub into its constituent parts it is just listed as "hub assembly"

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock