Locked up front tire - What to do? by otakudude
Started on: 08-17-2024 09:57 AM
Replies: 5 (60 views)
Last post by: kendell on 09-29-2024 09:09 PM
otakudude

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2024 09:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for otakududeSend a Private Message to otakududeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a 2001 Infinity that I only drive every few weeks as I'm rather housebound. Last time I drove the car was roughly 1.5 months ago to get the mail an make a couple of stops and had no issues on that brief excursion.

However, yesterday I had a doctors appt. scheduled and when I tried to leave, I found that the front passenger tire was totally locked up and would not brake free even after going about 25' forward and then back again on a gravel driveway.

The forecast is rain much of the day today so I'm not going to dig into it now but I should be able check it out tomorrow when the weather is better. Since I have no idea why this would happen out of the blue as it did, I'm looking for suggestions from others who have dealt with a problem like this what they did to fix it or perhaps an idea what to look for once I get the tire off. Thanks!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 699
Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2024 05:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Stuck caliper?
Monkeyman

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 182
Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2024 11:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Very rusty rotor causing the brake pads to stick?
otakudude

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2024 01:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for otakududeSend a Private Message to otakududeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I got into it this afternoon and while there was some light rust on the rotor, the main problem was a frozen caliper. Actually surprised me a bit as I've had no problems with the brakes up to now.

As such, I'll go online tomorrow to try and find an affordable caliper, two sets of pads and then go from there.

While this isn't going to be cheap, I honestly was worried that it might have been something more involved and expensive than this is looking to be.
CoolBlue87GT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 151
Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2024 12:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CoolBlue87GTSend a Private Message to CoolBlue87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Could also be failed rubber brake line. When a rubber brake line gets old, the inner tube collapses, so the brake fluid pressure doesn't go away. You brake once, the caliper is then stuck.

[This message has been edited by CoolBlue87GT (edited 08-22-2024).]

kendell

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2024 09:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kendellSend a Private Message to kendellEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by CoolBlue87GT:

Could also be failed rubber brake line. When a rubber brake line gets old, the inner tube collapses, so the brake fluid pressure doesn't go away. You brake once, the caliper is then stuck.

We will see if the brake line is culpit in this F150 project. It's been sitting for about 3 months and the previous owner mentioned it got a new caliper but still intermittently sticking. Both driver side wheels have deep curbs so we ordered new kmc wheels and Continental tires, will check the brake lines as well.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock