Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Politics & Religion
  A whole bunch of states trying to ban guns. (Page 2)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
A whole bunch of states trying to ban guns. by 2.5
Started on: 02-18-2024 12:14 PM
Replies: 57 (384 views)
Last post by: randye on 06-02-2024 10:40 PM
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 206
Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2024 10:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by BingB:
Nothing I said was incorrect, and joining the NRA won't change that in any way.

The first part of the quoted sentence is incorrect, but the second part probably is.

There is a saying in my family that applies in this situation.

'Argue with a road sign, and take the wrong way.'
IP: Logged
cliffw

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2024 10:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cliffw:
When someone does commit slander or libel or perjury or fraud or incite a riot do we take away their right to free speech ?

Those limits on free speech apply to everyone. None of us are free to do any of those things. So I don't really understand your question.

Do you not understand what you read ? Do you need my help ?

All of are free to do all those things. Repeatedly. We are not free to use free speech maliciously.
cliffw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2024 10:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

cliffw

36028 posts
Member since Jun 2003

I have enough common sense to understand that it is a good idea to keep guns out of the hands of violent convicted felons.

Any citizen would know that the buyer is a convicted felon if we had laws requiring background checks for every gun sale. That is my entire point. Every gun has to be licensed to a specific owner so that we can enforce the laws we already have.
[/QUOTE]

Why did Martha Stewart lose her gun possession rights ?

Your entire point is flawed.
cliffw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2024 10:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

cliffw

36028 posts
Member since Jun 2003

I can't cite cases or anything like that. but I am pretty sure that the SCOTUS has upheld all the limitations on free speech that I listed.

That is evidence ? Because you think so ?
cliffw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2024 10:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

cliffw

36028 posts
Member since Jun 2003

The SCOTUS has upheld limitations on gun ownership for felons, people who commit domestic violence, and people with dangerous mental illness. they have also upheld limitations on owning fully automatic weapons and explosive devices.

The "right to bear arms" is ALREADY limited.

I can't cite cases or anything like that.
BingB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2024 02:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BingBSend a Private Message to BingBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

That is evidence ? Because you think so ?

No. I KNOW it is the law of the land. I just don't know if it has been challenged in court and ruled on by SCOTUS.

BingB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2024 02:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BingBSend a Private Message to BingBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

BingB

1233 posts
Member since Nov 2023

Why did Martha Stewart lose her gun possession rights ?

Your entire point is flawed.

I always include the term "violent" before "felon" when talking about who should not have guns.

So I agree with you that Martha Stewart should be allowed to own a gun.

BingB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2024 02:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BingBSend a Private Message to BingBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

BingB

1233 posts
Member since Nov 2023

Do you not understand what you read ? Do you need my help ?

All of are free to do all those things. Repeatedly. We are not free to use free speech maliciously.

Yes I do need your help.

If you are free to say anything you want then that means your rigths are NOT limited.

If you can go to jail for something you say then that means your rigths ARE limited. And you can go to jail for using your "speech" to incite a riot.

So are your rights limited or not?

[This message has been edited by BingB (edited 02-20-2024).]

BingB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2024 02:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BingBSend a Private Message to BingBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

BingB

1233 posts
Member since Nov 2023

Originally posted by olejoedad:
There is a saying in my family that applies in this situation.

'Argue with a road sign, and take the wrong way.'

Actually, if that saying applied here then you would not be arguing with me.
olejoedad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2024 11:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
An old thread, but it's revival is warranted based on a recent SCOTUS ruling.

https://www.washingtonexami...ond-amendment-views/
BingB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2024 11:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BingBSend a Private Message to BingBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by olejoedad:

An old thread, but it's revival is warranted based on a recent SCOTUS ruling.

https://www.washingtonexami...ond-amendment-views/

Yes. Proof that the Supreme Court can put limits on a person's "free speech".

Vullo was wrong. As a public official you should address changes in policy through laws, not back door threats.

PFF
System Bot
olejoedad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2024 03:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So can judges in New York City, from all appearances....

Although, as an acting agent of the government, she would have the right to speak freely as a private citizen, but would not have the right to impose her personal vendetta in the manner in which she did.
I don't see the ruling of SCOTUS as limiting her right to free speech. She was coercing the businesses she was supposed to be regulating. I see that as a different situation.
ray b

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2024 04:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ray bSend a Private Message to ray bEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
the question is still unanswered

how many kids do you want to kill every year
for your right to be a gun nut

I say for your lot FAR TOOO MANY
williegoat

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 104
Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2024 04:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Yes. Proof that the Supreme Court can put limits on a person's "free speech".

You are clueless, as usual. No such proof is presented. No such concept is implied.

Sotomayor wrote the opinion, which begins:

Six decades ago, this Court held that a government entity’s “threat of invoking legal sanctions and other means of coercion” against a third party “to achieve the suppression” of disfavored speech violates the First Amendment. Bantam Books, Inc. v. Sullivan, 372 U. S. 58, 67 (1963). Today, the Court reaffirms what it said then: Government officials cannot attempt to coerce private parties in order to punish or suppress views that the government disfavors.

"Government officials cannot attempt to coerce private parties in order to punish or suppress views that the government disfavors."
Think about that for a minute...

OK, who am I kidding? You will not think about it. I know you are not capable of understanding it.

And no, I will not waste my time trying to help you.

Again, the time for negotiation has passed. No explanation is due.
Doug85GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 121
Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2024 08:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Doug85GTSend a Private Message to Doug85GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ray b:

the question is still unanswered

how many kids do you want to kill every year
for your right to be a gun nut

I say for your lot FAR TOOO MANY

A kid's life is ended with each abortion. This might be hard to figure out for a leftist but which is a bigger number? 930,160 or 2,590.

olejoedad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2024 09:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The shame of it all is that gang related violence accounts for a large percentage of the kids being killed in a shooting. The police in many cities know who and where the gang members are but don't do anything about them. It's predominantly black on black crime, but the government seemingly ignores the problem.
olejoedad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2024 09:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

olejoedad

18345 posts
Member since May 2004
Lock 'em up!
randye

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2024 10:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by williegoat:

"Government officials cannot attempt to coerce private parties in order to punish or suppress views that the government disfavors."
Think about that for a minute...

OK, who am I kidding? You will not think about it. I know you are not capable of understanding it.

And no, I will not waste my time trying to help you.

Again, the time for negotiation has passed. No explanation is due.

His inability to fully understand it very likely extends far beyond just the instant 2nd Amendment issue

An insightful comment from the article:

"This lesson should be learned, and the amendment’s letter observed, not just by direct government regulators and enforcement officials. Government entities such as public schools and state colleges, too, must be bastions of free speech. A state college dean or professor no less than a state financial services regulator must not use viewpoint discrimination to penalize speech

Doubtless, our Leftards never imagined that NRA v Vullo could end up curtailing their heretofore unfettered use of public school classrooms to propagandize and indoctrinate.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock