Started on: 09-30-2024 10:18 AM
Replies: 0 (31 views)
Last post by: williegoat on 09-30-2024 10:18 AM
williegoat

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 106
Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2024 10:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Rhiannon Giddens is one of my favorite music historians and musicologists. She approaches American folk music, particularly that of the 19th century, from a unique perspective.

Bela Fleck, in my opinion, is one of the greatest musicians of all time.

I found this article to be thought provoking.

Rhiannon Giddens and Béla Fleck: The Banjo Summit

In February this year Beyoncé released ‘Texas Hold ’Em’, a single previewing her forthcoming Cowboy Carter album which embraced country music and the role of Black Americans in the genre. The banjo riff that begins ‘Texas Hold ’Em’ was played by Rhiannon Giddens, an artist who has done more than most to reinstate the importance of Black Americans in US folk music traditions. The success of Cowboy Carter, which made Beyoncé the first Black woman to top the US country album charts, had many accusing her of cultural appropriation. Meanwhile, the same accusation was also being fired at George Gershwin, whose ‘Rhapsody in Blue’ turned 100 in February and still faces criticism for its appropriation of African-American jazz. To mark the anniversary, Béla Fleck released Rhapsody in Blue, an album inspired by the Gershwin classic, and in tandem wrote an op-ed for WBGO (US public radio) to address the continued criticism of Gershwin.

Bela Fleck's "Rhapsody in Blue" was one of those albums that I had to buy as soon as it became available.

------------------
"Ain't no rest for the whiskers."

34.45260465579319, -112.53790558034461

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot

All times are ET (US)
next newest topic | next oldest topic

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery