Started on: 07-04-2014 01:27 AM
Replies: 2 (11905 views)
Last post by: theogre on 07-04-2014 11:29 AM
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2014 01:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Over the years, several people on this forum have recommended AutoXRay scan tools.
Years ago I purchased an EZ Scan 6000, their (at the time) top of the line scanner.
I decided to upgrade the software on it, since it supposedly only covers up through the 2005 model year. (Although I have successfully read newer cars.)

In order to upgrade the scanner, I first needed to install drivers for their proprietary USB cable. The problem is, the drivers appear to not support anything newer than XP, or 64 bit "anything".

I poked around on the web for a bit, and several people had posted poor reviews on Amazon's site, concerning these drivers. They also stated that the scan tools cannot be upgraded to support CANBUS cars. (although I was able to get some basic OBD II info from my '09 Challenger CANBUS PCM.)

Perhaps the basic OBD II stuff is required to remain the same, but the whole "unable to upgrade" thing is a real bite in the posterior.
To be fair, I have not attempted to contact their customer service dept and ask them what the deal is, so there may still be more to this. I really doubt it, though.

I would encourage anyone to pay attention to this, or at least do some research, before buying a scan tool.
As an aside, AutoXRay also does not support CASE learn (Crank position sensor calibration.) Not that that's a big surprise.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
E.Furgal

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 278
User Banned

Report this Post07-04-2014 07:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
computers are out dated the day they are released.. I'm not shocked that a scan tool. made years ago.. has reached a dead end..

it sucks put it's the way it is.. but until you call, you'll not know fer sure..

I'm shocked no ones made a tablet software.. for scanning that's more pro than DIY
theogre

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2014 11:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Use Win7 Pro Enterprise or Ultra?
Use XP Mode, connect device and install drives to it.

Others use VMplayer or VirtualBox
They can be harder because while easy to install XP, you still have to activate the OS on the VM.

I have old Sony device that only has unsigned XP drivers that I use this way on Win7 x64.

If you get drivers... Old Device still likely won't get new firmware. Be lucky you get last update when Company are nice. Old device may not connect to server.

Many XP/Vista (32 bit) Drivers are unsigned because getting then signed cost big money. Driver Signing is big money to M$ and others.
Signing a Driver for Public Release MSDN

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock