Fuel Pressure Gauge instead of Cold Start Injector by fieroall
Started on: 10-12-2012 11:01 AM
Replies: 8 (1121 views)
Last post by: Tony Kania on 02-05-2017 11:31 AM
fieroall

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2012 11:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroallSend a Private Message to fieroallEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So I decided to remove the cold start since the car is strictly a summer ride and also wanted to clean up the look a bit. + the cold start was stuck open making the car run rich all the time. I'm also using the Holley AFPR.

Here are the results. All you need is an oil pan plug 12m x 1.25 with a piggyback plug (1/8 inch). 45 degree bend 1/8 inch male/female. Gauge that goes up to 100 psi (Princess Auto/Harbor Freight).

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2012 11:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That's pretty cool. I wish I had thought of that before buying the Fiero Store gauge.
Moar

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2015 03:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MoarSend a Private Message to MoarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi Fieroall,

do you use #7730 ECM or the stock ECM?

Does the car start easily without cold start injector in summer?
Have you ever tried to start your Fiero at low temps (cold winter days)?

Thanks
unboundmo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2017 12:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for unboundmoSend a Private Message to unboundmoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not sure if you've finish the project.. But curious on the clearance of the top intake vacuum line and the distributor cap with the pressure gauge there...? I did a similar setup but came off the schrader valve (if I spelled that right) instead.. I have a 90bend in my swivel pipe/parts.. Works great...

When you disconnected your cold start injector/valve, did you have problems cranking over and starting the engine on the first go-around?

That's my issue now.. Yet my cold start is still connected.. That's why I'm here searching... Anyway

✌🏼️
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2017 08:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If the cold start injection system is still active, but it takes longer for the engine to start, then you should check the fuel pump relay. When the relay goes bad, the oil pressure sender takes over running the fuel pump. But it doesn't activate the fuel pump until it sees 4-5 psi of oil pressure. Hence the longer cranking times.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 572
Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2017 09:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroall:
So I decided to remove the cold start since the car is strictly a summer ride and also wanted to clean up the look a bit. + the cold start was stuck open making the car run rich all the time. I'm also using the Holley AFPR.

Here are the results. All you need is an oil pan plug 12m x 1.25 with a piggyback plug (1/8 inch). 45 degree bend 1/8 inch male/female. Gauge that goes up to 100 psi (Princess Auto/Harbor Freight).
Caution: Fuel Pressure gauges can be dangerous and leak w/o warning. More so when gauge is cheap and not made of this use.
Besides engine and car vibration... V6 fuel pump makes hydraulic "noise" travels down to everything down stream. Worse when people remove the Pulsator replacing FP. (Unless new pump said do not use one.) That noise can break gauges and other things over time.

Related to Fuel Pump Pulsator---Pro/Cons

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 02-05-2017).]

darbysan

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2017 10:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for darbysanSend a Private Message to darbysanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
X2 on the HF gauge. I have them fail regularly on my Compressor- no way I would use them for fluid, especially gasoline. Get a Fuel Gauge from Summit Racing. You'll be glad!

------------------
'87 GT , '00 3800 Series II SC, 4t65e.

Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2017 10:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice Wheels!!

you don't see them very often.....hope you can find tires for them.
Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post02-05-2017 11:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Cool write up.

Again, the HF gauge is crap. I will not put another one on a compressor. For a bit, I carried an extra plug until I installed a quality gauge.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock