Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  West Coast Fiero vs Ground Control coilovers?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
West Coast Fiero vs Ground Control coilovers? by DimeMachine
Started on: 12-27-2012 03:59 PM
Replies: 23 (4680 views)
Last post by: thesameguy on 10-05-2015 07:49 PM
DimeMachine

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2012 03:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DimeMachineSend a Private Message to DimeMachineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Guys,
I lowered my front end 1.5 inches by cutting the stock springs and modifying the crossmember for more travel.

I need to lower the rear about an inch and due the the way the springs are, I am thinking I need to go with a coilover.

I am looking at the WCF rear coilovers ($220) vs Ground Control Coilovers on ebay ($179) Anyone know if one is better than the other?

Also, what spring rate would I want for the rear for a 3800 SC motor where comfort is still needed as this is a 95% of the time daily driver.

Thanks for your thoughts!!!

------------------
84 Formula Clone, 3800SC, VS Cam, 3.2 Pulley, 4T65E-HD, HP Tuners, AEM Wideband, , Regal GS Gauges, S-10 Brake Booster. 12.53 at 106.5 1/4 mile

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2012 11:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
GC is the go to TOP TOP TOP of the line coilover for hondas.... I would only expect their name to carry over.
Chris_narf

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2012 11:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris_narfSend a Private Message to Chris_narfEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If I had to pick between the two, I'd probably go GC. You've actually got a couple more options too. You can follow the DIY thread on making your own coil overs or you can get the Held kit. Personally, I went w/ the Held kit with 325lb springs to accommodate the extra weight of the engine when the swap was done. I'm happy with the results.

------------------
-Chris
'85 V6 SE 4sp (SOLD)
'88 GT - Series 3 SC3800 w/ 3.5" pulley, 1.8" rockers, 3" exhaust, 3.5" intake, 3.29 gearing. Installed and tuned by Sinister Performance
'99 Kawasaki Vulcan 500, owned since new
'03 Sentra SE-R Spec V (Daily driver)
'09 G37x w/ Premium & Nav (wife's car)

ace5514

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2012 12:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ace5514Send a Private Message to ace5514Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
hey,
i was just checking ebay for some stuff and saw these. i don't know anything about these but i figured i forward the info to you.
check here
http://www.ebay.com/itm/MK1...em20ce51836a&vxp=mtr

al
MstangsBware

Feedback score:    (108)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 459
Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2012 06:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No to WCF coil overs as there springs r to short and they sit on top of the spring perch. I had a set of the WCF coilovers and sold them cause I was not happy with them at all. I would do the DIY coilovers thst way u know what u get.
rourke_87_T-Top

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2012 10:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rourke_87_T-TopSend a Private Message to rourke_87_T-TopEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Do NOT purchase Ground Contol, garbage ! They do not fit and won't work, rip off ! When you call them to complain you won't get anything.
rourke_87_T-Top

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2012 10:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rourke_87_T-TopSend a Private Message to rourke_87_T-TopEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

rourke_87_T-Top

1347 posts
Member since Jan 2009
Ground Control is a joke !
darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2012 11:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rourke_87_T-Top:

Do NOT purchase Ground Contol, garbage ! They do not fit and won't work, rip off ! When you call them to complain you won't get anything.

What doesnt fit, and what doesnt work about them?
DimeMachine

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2012 11:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DimeMachineSend a Private Message to DimeMachineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Chris_narf:

If I had to pick between the two, I'd probably go GC. You've actually got a couple more options too. You can follow the DIY thread on making your own coil overs or you can get the Held kit. Personally, I went w/ the Held kit with 325lb springs to accommodate the extra weight of the engine when the swap was done. I'm happy with the results.

I did a quick search for held kit and didnt find it. Please provide more info.

Thanks!
rourke_87_T-Top

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2012 01:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rourke_87_T-TopSend a Private Message to rourke_87_T-TopEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I recall another IMSA ? , user posting pics, about his Ground Control kit, trying to get them to work, that was after I had ordered a coil over kit, they sent me one sleeve that was cut in half, a six inch Eibach spring, ? WTF ? I didn't even bother attempting to install it because, It would unseat and flop around, I called them, John, this is a few years ago, he just gave me the runaround, said that because I never installed them, that how could I possibly know if they wouldn't work ? I gave up. The only time I have ever had a problem with all the purchases I've made over several years and it was with Ground Control.
rourke_87_T-Top

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2012 01:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rourke_87_T-TopSend a Private Message to rourke_87_T-TopEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

rourke_87_T-Top

1347 posts
Member since Jan 2009
Just ask "IMSA GT" about his ground Control coil overs.
PFF
System Bot
rourke_87_T-Top

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2012 01:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rourke_87_T-TopSend a Private Message to rourke_87_T-TopEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

rourke_87_T-Top

1347 posts
Member since Jan 2009
nitroheadz28

Feedback score:    (26)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2012 01:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nitroheadz28Send a Private Message to nitroheadz28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The best coilovers are the ones you build yourself.

The ebay kits are crap, springs are way too short. As for the kits with the sleeves and adjusters, they will probably work alright but are short so not a lot of room to play with springs.

I personally went with A1 racing adjusters and AFCO racing springs. QA1 makes good springs as well, I built mine for less than $150 including struts.

Take care to be sure the adjuster sleeves have the same ID as the OD of your strut, and make sure the ID of the spring is just a tiny bit larger than the sleeve for the adjuster, you want it centered on the adjustment ring.
Chris_narf

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2012 05:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris_narfSend a Private Message to Chris_narfEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by DimeMachine:

I did a quick search for held kit and didnt find it. Please provide more info.

Thanks!

Here ya go!
http://arrautmotorsports.co...pension-information/

------------------
-Chris
'85 V6 SE 4sp (SOLD)
'88 GT - Series 3 SC3800 w/ 3.5" pulley, 1.8" rockers, 3" exhaust, 3.5" intake, 3.29 gearing. Installed and tuned by Sinister Performance
'99 Kawasaki Vulcan 500, owned since new
'03 Sentra SE-R Spec V (Daily driver)
'09 G37x w/ Premium & Nav (wife's car)

Boostdreamer

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 98
Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2012 05:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Here ya go!

These are the ones I was planning to buy. I'm doing an '88 cradle install in my '85 so I need the upper relocation brackets too. I have Koni's to use with them. Does anyone have any experience with these coilover kits?

------------------
Jonathan
23K mile '85 notchie - Still under construction
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/121056.html
Life is good when your wife is good! - me
Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely - Lord Acton
Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not - Thomas Jefferson
The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants - Thomas Jefferson

rourke_87_T-Top

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2012 06:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rourke_87_T-TopSend a Private Message to rourke_87_T-TopEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The Koni North America 2012 Motorsports Catologue lists the coil over parts in the PDF document on page #31. 50mm inner diameter sleeve's etc. http://www.koni-na.com/cat_search_form.cfm I haven't ordered them but planning to.
qwikgta

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2012 09:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have Koni's with 10" 400lb spring going on the back of my coupe. I will be putting my old WCF kit on the back of my 88 GT but I plan to modify them by cutting off the spring perch and using a 10" spring vice the 7" spring that came with the kit. The top hat is a decent design but all of the options are about the same. Best advice I have is get the best one the first time, it cost too much to upgrade later, pay a little more now to get the kit you want. I have spent so much money over the last few years getting what I could afford at the time, and then upgrading later, in the end you spend so much more doing that.

Rob
DimeMachine

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2012 05:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DimeMachineSend a Private Message to DimeMachineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Here ya go!

Chris,

Thanks for sending the link. These look pretty good but on their website I don't see these called the "Held Kit" . Am I missing something? How stiff is the 325 spring compared to stock- does it feel a lot rougher?

Thanks!

------------------
84 Formula Clone, 3800SC, VS Cam, 3.2 Pulley, 4T65E-HD, HP Tuners, AEM Wideband, , Regal GS Gauges, S-10 Brake Booster. 12.53 at 106.5 1/4 mile

Twinn

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2012 06:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TwinnSend a Private Message to TwinnEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The company used to be called Held Motorsports. Now its called Arraut Motor Sports. Kits are exactly the same.

[This message has been edited by Twinn (edited 12-29-2012).]

coolcat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2013 04:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for coolcatSend a Private Message to coolcatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is the Ground Control parking lot this morning...... decided to bring the 85 today.

------------------

Maroon 87GT (R.I.P.)
Silver 87GT T-TOP
Black 88 GT
Black 88 Formula (SOLD)
White 85 GT
Red 86 GT T-TOP(R.I.P.)
Red 88 GT
Black 88 GT # 2 (3.4 DOHC)
Red 88 Formula T-TOP
Black 85 GT (L67)
Maroon 88 GT (L67)
Maroon 87GT # 2
White 85 GT # 2
Maroon 88 GT T-TOP (3.4 DOHC)

[This message has been edited by coolcat (edited 01-21-2013).]

Ducati Jones

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2013 05:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Ducati JonesSend a Private Message to Ducati JonesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just orderd springs, sleeves, adjusting nuts and a spanner for $150.00 from summit for the rear of my Fiero. The sleeves were back ordered and should be here Tuesday. I will be waiting for some warm weather before I get out in my unheated garage to install them. I went with 275# springs. I am doing the DIY method and will be modifing my factory struts. I installed the struts last fall so they are still like new.
PFF
System Bot
Driver_WT

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2013 09:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Driver_WTSend a Private Message to Driver_WTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Ducati Jones:

I just orderd springs, sleeves, adjusting nuts and a spanner for $150.00 from summit for the rear of my Fiero. The sleeves were back ordered and should be here Tuesday. I will be waiting for some warm weather before I get out in my unheated garage to install them. I went with 275# springs. I am doing the DIY method and will be modifing my factory struts. I installed the struts last fall so they are still like new.

Do you have part numbers for the Summit springs, sleeves, adjusting nuts and spanner?

Thanks.

Wade

------------------
1984 Fiero, Black notchback, 355 SBC, 4 speed

Chris Hodson

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2015 04:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris HodsonSend a Private Message to Chris HodsonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I second the request for part #'s
thesameguy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2015 07:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for thesameguySend a Private Message to thesameguyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Boostdreamer:

These are the ones I was planning to buy. I'm doing an '88 cradle install in my '85 so I need the upper relocation brackets too. I have Koni's to use with them. Does anyone have any experience with these coilover kits?

I have an '87 with an '88 cradle, the Arraut relocation kit, Koni Reds ("Specials"), and 300lb springs. It's good, but not anywhere near top of the line in terms of suspension. I can't tell (aka, haven't put in the effort) as to whether the springs are not enough (3.4pr back there) or the Konis are not enough to control the springs, but the back end is far bouncier than I'd like. Once it takes a set it's nicely controlled, but going into compression is a little rough. IIRC I have the shocks are their stiffest setting, it's possible backing them off would help, or maybe a stiffer spring. There's definitely a mismatch there.

That said, I don't think you can do any better than this for reasonable money. You could get into high-end struts for a grand and make big improvements. but that isn't a step I'm willing to take. So, while I'm not thrilled with the results, the dollar erformance ratio is a-ok by me. Chances are I wouldn't do anything differently if I had to do it again, though I *might* go for a stiffer spring. 300# seems aimed squarely at daily driver and not performance as the ride on normal roads is softer than my XJR. Heh.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock