Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Connect Battery and fuel pump runs continuously?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Connect Battery and fuel pump runs continuously? by Alex.07.86GT
Started on: 09-20-2014 01:14 AM
Replies: 11 (611 views)
Last post by: Alex.07.86GT on 09-22-2014 01:12 PM
Alex.07.86GT

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2014 01:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex.07.86GTSend a Private Message to Alex.07.86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My 86 GT was laid up for 21 yrs (I'm the original owner). I completed the fuel pump install and connected the battery, The pump runs continuously even with the ignition off!!

(No worries I disconnected the battery right away!)

Without doing any testing -I'm assuming the FP Relay is stuck and needs replacing ???

I wont be able to look at it again till sunday. So what do you think??

[This message has been edited by Alex.07.86GT (edited 09-21-2014).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
topcat

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 148
Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2014 04:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for topcatSend a Private Message to topcatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If my memory serves me, (I've not played with the stock Fiero Wire Harness for quite some time) the Oil Pressure relay provides a ground to close the circuit for the fuel pump. Check that relay - it is on the firewall behind the air cleaner.

[This message has been edited by topcat (edited 09-20-2014).]

phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 291
Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2014 05:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There are two "switches", either of which can supply power to the fuel pump. One is the fuel pump relay, located on the firewall, in the engine compartment, behind the drivers seat. There will be more than one relay there, so identify the relay by the colors of the wires. The fuel pump relay has wires that are Orange/Black, Tan/White, Dk. Green/White and Black.

The other "switch' that can turn on power to the fuel pump is the oil pressure sender. Located up by the belts or down by the oil pressure sender. 88 oil pressure senders look different than this one.

The oil pressure sender will have a connector with Tan/White, Orange/Black and Tan wires.

So to determine which one is causing the fuel pump to run, connect the battery and then disconnect one, and then the other and see which is causing the fuel pump to run. Most likely it is the oil pressure sender, which btw, is the one that is easier to disconnect.

With the oil pressure sender disconnected your oil pressure gauge will always show pegged high.

Alex.07.86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2014 08:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex.07.86GTSend a Private Message to Alex.07.86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
WOW! awesome replies! Thank You!
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 329
Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2014 04:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My guess. Pull the connector to the oil pressure sender. If this stops the problem you can do a temporary fix by cutting one pin off that supplies the fuel pump auxiliary path. Your oil pressure gauge will work and the engine will run fine. Then you can order and replace the sender whenever you wish.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Powerlog manifold, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Flotech Afterburner Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

Alex.07.86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2014 05:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex.07.86GTSend a Private Message to Alex.07.86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by phonedawgz:

The fuel pump relay has wires that are Orange/Black, Tan/White, Dk. Green/White and Black

The other "switch' that can turn on power to the fuel pump is the oil pressure sender. Located up by the belts or down by the oil pressure sender.

The oil pressure sender will have a connector with Tan/White, Orange/Black and Tan wires.

So to determine which one is causing the fuel pump to run, connect the battery and then disconnect one, and then the other and see which is causing the fuel pump to run. Most likely it is the oil pressure sender, which btw, is the one that is easier to disconnect.

Oil Pressure Sender it is!!! Thanks!

Is there a special socket to remove the oil sender?

BTW I only have 2 relays on the firewall. What is the 2nd one for?
NetCam

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2014 10:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NetCamClick Here to visit NetCam's HomePageSend a Private Message to NetCamEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
On the '85 the left one is the A/C relay, right is the Fuel Pump (looking from the back).

Edit: Just checked the '86 manual and it's the same. I'm guessing the third relay is probably for another option, maybe cruise?

[This message has been edited by NetCam (edited 09-21-2014).]

Alex.07.86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2014 11:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex.07.86GTSend a Private Message to Alex.07.86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by NetCam:

On the '85 the left one is the A/C relay, right is the Fuel Pump (looking from the back).

Edit: Just checked the '86 manual and it's the same. I'm guessing the third relay is probably for another option, maybe cruise?

Thanks a bunch!!

I have cruise and every option! Did California cars have a different setup?

#2 is the oil sender fixable? Is it dirty? The car only has 13K miles.
phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 291
Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2014 05:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by NetCam:

Works great for identifying them assuming no one has ever touched them. If they have been touched in the last 29 years you have a 50/50 chance of identifying them correctly by location.

Identify them by the colors of the wires. It is the only way to accurately identify them.

btw, the A/C relay has wires that are Dk. Green, Black, Dk. Blue and Lt. Blue.

No you can't fix your Oil Pressure Sender switch. You could however do as listed above, break off one of the side connections of the OPS and then run the fuel pump on just the relay alone. Works fine.....until the relay fails. Then you will have to add the cost of a tow truck to the fix.

Alex.07.86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2014 09:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex.07.86GTSend a Private Message to Alex.07.86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Is there a special socket to remove the oil sender? Or do I just go at it with Pump Pliers?
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 329
Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2014 12:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Alex.07.86GT:

Is there a special socket to remove the oil sender? Or do I just go at it with Pump Pliers?

The oil pressure sender/sensor removes with a wrench placed at the very bottom fitting. Then you will need another wrench on the oil pressure tube fitting (square piece) to hold that in place so you don't break it. DO NOT remove or replace the sensor by grabbing it by the body and never use a pliers to remove any automotive bolt or fitting. That's what wrenches are designed for. Remember this is a TWO wrench job..
------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Powerlog manifold, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Flotech Afterburner Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

[This message has been edited by Dennis LaGrua (edited 09-22-2014).]

PFF
System Bot
Alex.07.86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2014 01:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex.07.86GTSend a Private Message to Alex.07.86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

The oil pressure sender/sensor removes with a wrench placed at the very bottom fitting. Then you will need another wrench on the oil pressure tube fitting (square piece) to hold that in place so you don't break it. DO NOT remove or replace the sensor by grabbing it by the body and never use a pliers to remove any automotive bolt or fitting. That's what wrenches are designed for. Remember this is a TWO wrench job..

doesnt look like there is room for tools in there. I guess a lot has to be removed to get to it??

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock