headlight motor removal by Bruce
Started on: 05-25-2015 08:44 PM
Replies: 2 (1473 views)
Last post by: Dennis LaGrua on 05-26-2015 09:07 AM
Bruce

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2015 08:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BruceSend a Private Message to BruceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've checked the Forum and YouTube, but I can't find a tutorial about removing and re-installing the headlight motors. Is this information available somewhere?
Thanks!
bb
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2015 09:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
84-86 or 87-88?

The basics are the same. There are 4 10mm nuts holding the assembly in the car. The two at the top corners must be removed. The two at the bottom only need be loosened sufficiently since the bottom holes are slotted.

Generation 1--Raise the headlights, then unplug the single wire barrel connectors. Turn the headlights off. Loosen the bottom nuts. You'll need a ratchet, a short extension or a deepwell 10mm socket.

Turn the headlight switch back on and reconnect the single blue wire barrel connector. Now, turn the headlights off. They will retract. Disconnect the single blue wire barrel connector and the harness wire going to the motor relay.

Now, remove the two top nuts and you can maneuver the assembly out of the car.

Generation 2--Raise the headlights and unplug the harness wire. Turn the headlight switch off.
Loosen the bottom nuts.
Turn the headlight switch on then plug in the motor harness.
Turn the headlights off then unplug the motor harness.
Remove the top nuts and maneuver the assembly out of the car.

I like to leave the bulb harness wire connected until I'm ready to remove the assembly. That way, while I'm working, I know whether it's safe to put my hands into the mechanism and what to expect when I plug up a harness.

Anytime you're putting your hands through or underneath the headlight assembly, be sure the motor harness is unplugged. For the Generation 1, the single blue wire barrel connector is sufficient. The Generation 2 only has one harness wire.
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2015 09:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you are removing the headlight motors to rebuild, the Gen II's are very easy to rebuilt while the early Gen I units are considerably harder. Repair parts for both are readily available. There are quite a few You Tube videos on the subject. Buddy Craig has an excellent repair lesson there on the early headlight motors.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Flotech Afterburner Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock