Started on: 09-22-2015 08:15 PM
Replies: 26 (907 views)
Last post by: jimbolaya on 10-03-2015 06:25 PM
jimbolaya

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2015 08:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Short story is this:

Alternator went out on my sons 86 GT. I want to switch to the 88(better alternator) but the plug is shaped different for the 88 and it has 3 wires as opposed to 2. What do I need to do to make this happen? Advance and autzone do no sell the plug which Dorman part# 85854. So there's that also. Where to I find a plug/pigtail?

Long story is this:

My son has an 86Gt that we put an 88 2.8 in. The alternator went out so we, mistakenly (or so we thought), bought an 86 alternator. Got it in and noticed it was for the V-belt not the serpentine. Remember this though, the car already has a serpentine belt on it. We go back and get the 88 alternator and it has the right serpentine pulley, but now the plug does not fit. Remember that i said the car already had a serpentine setup on it. So my conclusion is that the car did have an 86 alternator (because it has the 86 connection, but an 88 pulley was swapped onto it. Unfortunately my core is long gone and I cannot retrieve that pulley and put it on an 86 alternator. So at this point I want to commit to getting the 88 alternator in there. How do I make that happen?

If I missed any info just tell me what you need to know.

Jim
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2015 08:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So to add more confusion to my fire, Gall757 posted this picture in another thread which is supposed to be an 86 setup.

When I bought an alternator for my 86 it came with a V-belt pulley on it, not a grooved pulley which is pictured above, yet this picture is still the 2 belt setup and not serpentine. I'm really confused now. If my 86 alternator I bought actually had that grooved pulley, the car would be up and running now.

Jim
jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2015 08:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

jimbolaya

10652 posts
Member since Feb 2007
I guess, push come to shove, I can go back and buy an 86 alternator and then swap the 88 pulley onto the 86. I'm assuming that would work. Does anyone know?

Jim
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 464
Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2015 08:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2015 09:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

Click

Patrick, thank you very much!!! I have finally figured out the problem, and its because of your comment in that other thread. I went on the web site and compared pictures and even though it say its a alternator for a V6 fiero gt on the receipt, they in fact did sell my son an alternator for a 4 cylinder vehicle. The correct alternator for a V-6 does come with the grooved pulley. I'm really ticked at Advance, this happens all too often. I sent my son to buy the part, alone, because I was mad at him. He was lazy and didnt get this checked out when I told him to and it put me in a bind. Well I pouted and refused to help, and it ended up making things worse. It cost me more time and him more money. Hopefully we both learn a lesson from this.

Jim

[This message has been edited by jimbolaya (edited 09-22-2015).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2015 09:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jimbolaya:

...they in fact did sell my son an alternator for a 4 cylinder vehicle.

Yeah, I kind of thought that's what happened. Glad to have helped sorting it out.
Ponnari

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2015 09:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PonnariSend a Private Message to PonnariEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is where I buy my wiring adapters from, do a search on ebay for:

DCH-12054 Conversion harness Delco SI to Late Delco CS 130 alternator w/ light

or:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DCH-12054-Conversion-harness-Delco-SI-to-Late-Delco-CS-130-alternator-w-light-/2915 70335997?hash=item43e2f240fd&vxp=mtr

------------------
"Because in a split second, It's gone"
Ayrton Senna

jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2015 09:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Ponnari:

or:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DCH-12054-Conversion-harness-Delco-SI-to-Late-Delco-CS-130-alternator-w-light-/2915 70335997?hash=item43e2f240fd&vxp=mtr

Is that just plug and play in order to use the 88 alternator? Because I like that option. I would prefer the 88 alty.

Jim

[This message has been edited by jimbolaya (edited 09-22-2015).]

Ponnari

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2015 10:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PonnariSend a Private Message to PonnariEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes, it is P&P. I've bought several of these and they work great, and it's easy!
jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2015 05:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
One last question. It might seem stupid but after these mix ups, it's warranted. Will the 88 alternator fit the 86 bracket? Are there any other clearance or fit issues?

Jim
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2015 11:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

One last question. It might seem stupid but after these mix ups, it's warranted.
Will the 88 alternator fit the 86 bracket? Are there any other clearance or fit issues?

The 88 V6 alternator fits. Have one on my 87 V6 and my Indy SD4.
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum9/HTML/000035.html

------------------
Calgary time/temp

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT Click me
Super Duty 4 Indy #163 Click me

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 09-23-2015).]

PFF
System Bot
jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2015 05:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Ponnari:

or:

This listing is sold out. Is it something he/she post listings for all the time as they make them?

Jim
jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2015 05:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

jimbolaya

10652 posts
Member since Feb 2007
This the same correct? It looks like it is.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Alt...7577da7f5f539a1%26pi d%3D100011%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D1%26sd%3D291570335997
Jim
jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2015 05:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

jimbolaya

10652 posts
Member since Feb 2007
Looks like they are not exactly the same. Sold out one says for CS130 w/light and the second one, and in stock says CS130 without light. Will that make a difference, other than the idiot light working or not? It appears to be the only other option on E-Bay right now.

Jim

[This message has been edited by jimbolaya (edited 09-23-2015).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2015 03:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Will that make a difference, other than the idiot light working or not?

You'll need a second opinion on this (as I'm no electrical wizard), but on at least some applications, the "idiot light" is necessary to excite the alternator. Yes, I'm serious! Otherwise, it won't charge (on applications where it's necessary).

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 09-24-2015).]

jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2015 07:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

You'll need a second opinion on this (as I'm no electrical wizard), but on at least some applications, the "idiot light" is necessary to excite the alternator. Yes, I'm serious! Otherwise, it won't charge (on applications where it's necessary).

Me neither, thats why I posed the question. I was reading in Orgres Cave and I think it does make a difference. If it does make a difference, the next hurdle is determine which adapter I need. The alternator is installed at this point. I just need to figure out which adapter, and then plug it in, tighten the belt and it's ready to go.

Jim
notwohorns

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2015 08:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for notwohornsSend a Private Message to notwohornsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You can buy the connector for the CS alternator from NAPA or O'reilly. It's only two wires and you can just wire it in. That's what I did. Very easy
jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2015 08:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well since I havent got a "definitive" answer, I went ahead and bought the adapter with the idiot light. If it doesnt work, im out $15, big whoop. I went ahead and put the alternator in and now all I have to do is plug the harness in and tighten the belt when it arrives. After 3 times of this, I'm getting good. It only took me 20 minutes to get it back in. Practice, practice, practice!

Jim
modsquad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2015 09:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for modsquadSend a Private Message to modsquadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Question:
Converting from 1986 gt to 88 alternator, does the new alternator come with a serpentine pulley, and if so how many ribs?
fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2015 09:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by modsquad:

Question:
Converting from 1986 gt to 88 alternator, does the new alternator come with a serpentine pulley, and if so how many ribs?

If not, just swap the pulley from your old alternator. 84 Dukes had a V-belt pulley and I'm sure I swapped it to the CS130.

jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2015 09:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by modsquad:

Question:

The pulley on the alternator is setup for a grooved belt, I'll have to get back to you about how many grooves, but it should be the same as the crank pulley, I would think. However, I have an 88 engine in an 86 car so do not quote me on that.

Jim

PFF
System Bot
fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2015 09:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A thread with some pics for Jim...
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...070315-2-073614.html

Ponnari

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2015 04:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PonnariSend a Private Message to PonnariEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Pattrick is correct:

....... (as I'm no electrical wizard), but on at least some applications, the "idiot light" is necessary to excite the alternator. Yes, I'm serious! Otherwise, it won't charge (on applications where it's necessary).[/quote

I've always used the one " WITH Light " on the ones I've done (about 20 of them).

See this link about interchanging and bracket dimensions, 85-86-87 V6 used a larger diameter alternator than the 88
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...130314-2-121111.html

Also, I highly recommend using one of these tensioners made by PFF member Dodgerunner. Rodney Also makes a good one too. Both are easy bolt on mods.

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum4/HTML/039384.html

Yes, number of groves on Alt pulley is same as number on the crank pulley. 5 I think, but please double check me on that.

Also see Ogre's Cave about converting to CS Alternators
The Ogre's Cave

[This message has been edited by Ponnari (edited 09-25-2015).]

jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2015 05:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for all the help guys. Adapter is on its way. As I said, I went ahead and bought the "with light" one. BTW, I have Dickman's pulley on mine already, but thanks for the tip.

Jim
jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2015 09:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I finally got the adapter in and I drove the car for the first time today. A few issues flared up. The tach does not work now and im pretty sure I plugged it (VSS) back in. (I unplugged it for clearance) I say pretty sure because it is pouring down rain (noreaster) and I didnt want to get under the car. What else could be wrong? Also the voltage light came on a couple of times even though it appears to be holding charge at around 13 volts. Lastly, maybe totally unrelated, im getting the low oil pressure light in turns. It has never done this before, and oil level is good. Thoughts?

Jim
Ponnari

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2015 06:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PonnariSend a Private Message to PonnariEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi Jim, Do I hear ya about rain! I live outside of Seattle, WA.

I would suggest checking / cleaning wiring connections, especially all the grounding points. see the article link below, helped solve a lot of problems for me. Sounds like something might have gotten loosened up.
EVERYONE with a V6 please Read by $Rich$

Keep us updated on your progress so we can chim in with ideas.

Good Luck!
jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2015 06:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've already got the extra ground strap, thanks for the suggestion anyway. Actually had a pretty clear day today, just intermittent rain. We had to play catch up on some other stuff. I did do a little checking and the VSS is plugged in. I guess I'll tighten the belt again and make sure connections are firm as well as clean them up and then go from there.

Jim

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock