HVAC blend door motors by donuteater306
Started on: 10-04-2015 01:41 AM
Replies: 16 (809 views)
Last post by: Duck 1 on 07-05-2023 05:15 PM
donuteater306

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2015 01:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for donuteater306Send a Private Message to donuteater306Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Both blend doors are working on my 87, but both sound like they're laboring or struggling to move. Any suggestions on how to lubricate them?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2015 09:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Lubrication may not be advisable... What usually happens is the foam edges on the doors fall off and get tangled in the works. They have sticky-tape foam insulation around the edges like the stuff you buy for your doors and windows in your house...(but smaller). The problem is that you have to take the IP apart to get to them.

[This message has been edited by Gall757 (edited 10-04-2015).]

f85gtron

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2015 10:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for f85gtronSend a Private Message to f85gtronEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You can access them by removing the center console and heater tray next to the accelerator pedal. They Unbolt/screw and never had one apart, but looks like the case can be halved by removing screws or rivets....kind of like headlight motors.
Low voltage and amps can make them struggle too.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 572
Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2015 10:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The entire dash is remove to fix binding doors.

Might be normal... The motor does make noise to start.
Then add the motors are directly mounted to the AC/Heat box that acts as sound board to amplify the sound. (Same thing as violin etc make string sound allot louder.)

Worse, Mix motor is on big flat area of the AC box, right behind the radio, and Nothing to adsorb the sound. And mix motor controls 2 doors too so does more work.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2015 10:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

theogre

32520 posts
Member since Mar 99

Originally posted by f85gtron:
You can access them by removing the center console and heater tray next to the accelerator pedal. They Unbolt/screw and never had one apart, but looks like the case can be halved by removing screws or rivets....kind of like headlight motors.
Low voltage and amps can make them struggle too.

The motors screws and connector are fairly easy...
The door arms and clip the doors are attach to are a giant pain. Worse when you drop them inside the box.

The motor have a varistor/"MOV" in series (Small gray disk) on AC/Heat controls. You can't trust a meter at motor connect to get volt reading and mean anything to most users. You need data for the varistor to know what GM did and little to none info is available.

But check the control board for loose/crack contentions. Crack solder joints can make problems. Usually make intermittent connections etc.

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 10-04-2015).]

donuteater306

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2015 12:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for donuteater306Send a Private Message to donuteater306Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks guys. Luckily they're both still working, was just hoping that there would be a simple way to fix the creaking sound as the motors are moving. Best to just leave well enough alone.
sardonyx247

Feedback score:    (88)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 219
Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2015 05:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
To be correct the "blend" door is hot to cold and on a cable/wire, no motor.
I know what you are talking about though, the vent, to floor, to defrost, to A/C etc, just saying.
donuteater306

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2015 03:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for donuteater306Send a Private Message to donuteater306Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nah, my Fiero is a one-of-a-kind with factory electrical blend door. Hahahaha, jk. However, the next time I'm behind that dash I'm going to spray the pivot points for those doors.
theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2015 05:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just didn't care about exact name of door... Correct names are Mode door actuator runs 2 doors (PN 3052051) and Recirculation door actuator runs 1 door (PN 3052050). (PN stamped on box side.)

Note that the two motors look the same at first glance but are different electrically. Big gear inside has connects that open/close at points AC control head call for.

Correction: Thermistor, not Varistor in my post above.

Originally posted by donuteater306:
Nah, my Fiero is a one-of-a-kind with factory electrical blend door. Hahahaha, jk. However, the next time I'm behind that dash I'm going to spray the pivot points for those doors.

That can get you more problems in the future.
AC/Heat box is very dirty to start and Oil/grease holds dirt and will accelerate wear etc problems.
Many oil/grease products will attack plastic.
modsquad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2015 03:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for modsquadSend a Private Message to modsquadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have been scouring threads for days and can't seem to find a good solution to obtaining another stinkin motor man. My servo motor continuously buzzes like a nagging wife that won't rest until I hit the off button. I've heard one of the fiero distributors sells used ones but somebody got the wrong one sent to them and it was broken. Sooo, if anybody has an extra working unit lying around or a simple mod, lmk. Thanks.
Sincerely,
Magoo
sardonyx247

Feedback score:    (88)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 219
Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2015 07:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Coming from the largest Fiero yard in the world I'm sure we can find you one, PM me and I'm sure I can get you one.
PFF
System Bot
theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2015 10:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by modsquad:
I have been scouring threads for days and can't seem to find a good solution to obtaining another stinkin motor man. My servo motor continuously buzzes like a nagging wife that won't rest until I hit the off button.

Off button sets the mode motor to heat then motor shuts off itself.

You might be able to fix a motor w/ this.
Carefully cut the cover "rivets" to see what is keeping motor on.

Not sure how to attach cover after. Left over "rivets" might keep locating it and just use zip ties to keep it on.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2015 01:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
To add...

Are you sure the noise is door motor(s) and not crap in the blower fan?
Check all blower speeds or unplug blower switch or blower up front.

The only time the blower is off is when you push the off button.

The Door Motors will have power even when you push the off button.
Off button means to them:
Recirc door will close. (only open if you push Max AC.)
Mode motor moves to heat mode.
Both motors will shut off their selves when done moving.

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 10-16-2015).]

Wittendorf1986

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2015 04:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Wittendorf1986Send a Private Message to Wittendorf1986Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have the problem of switching to vents and nothing comes out I switch to defrost works fine, switch to heater very little comes out how do you fix this I have non AC car
f85gtron

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2015 09:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for f85gtronSend a Private Message to f85gtronEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Non-ac car only have 2 cables, no motors, to make the blend doors move. The door and cable to select the mode (defrost, vents, heater) run from the control head to the hvac box right behind the radio.
The door and cable for blending hot and cold run from the control head to behind the passenger dash and terminate at the top of the hvac box where the heater core access panel seam runs.
Check behind the fan and resistors to make sure some of your troubles aren't caused by leaves and nests blocking the air path inside the box. At the very least, pull the resistors panel and clean leaves out before a fire starts!
Tweeder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2015 04:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TweederSend a Private Message to TweederEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Where waould that be located?

------------------
86 SE Convertible 3800sc 4t65e HD(2002), Gen V, 3.3 pulley, SD headers

Duck 1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2023 05:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Duck 1Send a Private Message to Duck 1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If anyone has a extra 5 pin mode door actuator I could sure use one

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock