Started on: 10-13-2015 11:23 AM
Replies: 54 (926 views)
Last post by: 85 SE VIN 9 on 11-02-2015 11:37 AM
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 464
Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2015 01:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jimbolaya:

I went to go take some readings on the alternator this morning and when I pulled back the rubber boot covering the post of the alternator, I discovered the nut holding the wire onto the alternator had backed off.

Yep, sometimes it's the simplest things that need to be checked first. Glad you discovered the problem.

I've never had that alternator nut get loose. Was there not a lock washer on it?

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 10-24-2015).]

IP: Logged
jimbolaya

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2015 04:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I take it all back. Car dead again, not charging! Im about to lose my mind.

Jim
Rexgirl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2015 05:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RexgirlSend a Private Message to RexgirlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The Loose nut on the alternator may have damaged the diodes inside your replacement alternator. If you see low voltage (under 13.5 volts) at the battery terminals now (after tightening the alternator's nut), you should have the alternator bench tested.
thesameguy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2015 06:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for thesameguySend a Private Message to thesameguyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yep. That might explain the whole scenario.
jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2015 06:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rexgirl:

The Loose nut on the alternator may have damaged the diodes inside your replacement alternator. If you see low voltage (under 13.5 volts) at the battery terminals now (after tightening the alternator's nut), you should have the alternator bench tested.

Well i didnt see below 13 volts when I first tightened back down, but apparently it didnt last long as my son was dead after filling up tires with air and car with gas. He couldnt restart after filling up.

Jim
Rexgirl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2015 03:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RexgirlSend a Private Message to RexgirlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If the alternator is not charging, some batteries can be drained to a non-sustaining voltage in as little as 15 to 20 minutes of operation, less if they are partially discharged.
It may be wise to recheck your idling voltage again.

And BTW, Patrick's suggestion about adding a lock washer to the output stud was a good one..
jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2015 07:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rexgirl:

If the alternator is not charging, some batteries can be drained to a non-sustaining voltage in as little as 15 to 20 minutes of operation, less if they are partially discharged.
It may be wise to recheck your idling voltage again.

And BTW, Patrick's suggestion about adding a lock washer to the output stud was a good one..

Yeah, The car had been sitting for a week and I got duped by the normal reading, Instead of checking the voltage. I don't have time weeknights to look at it because I get home about the time the sun goes down. If it doesnt rain, ill be taking the alternator out today and have it bench tested. Unfortunately, If it is bad, I have to wait another week before a replacement will be in.

Jim
jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2015 01:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

jimbolaya

10652 posts
Member since Feb 2007
I just got back from Advance and the alternator is bad. It was making a awful squeal on the machine. Worker said it was acting wonky. Sometimes it would turn, sometimes it wouldn't (squeal) I dont know why it didnt squeal when it was on the car, but he said it was not performing correctly. A new one is on the way. I'll update when its back in the car.

Jim
Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post10-25-2015 01:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Before you reinstall the new alternator, take a known straight edge and give the pulleys a good looking at. Do it again after the new one is installed before you fire her up. Peace of mind.
jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2015 04:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Tony Kania:

Before you reinstall the new alternator, take a known straight edge and give the pulleys a good looking at. Do it again after the new one is installed before you fire her up. Peace of mind.

Why, to make sure the pulley on the alternator is lined up with pulleys on the engine? That was good on the last alternator. I know because I was concerned about fitment when I switched to the 88 alternator. Worth checking again though.

Jim
jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2015 09:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well new alternator is in and running. Battery is maintaining 13-14 volts while running. All is good for the moment. {crosses fingers} The one good side effect of this is, I can change an alternator in under an hour. 😁

Jim
PFF
System Bot
Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post10-31-2015 10:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Why, to make sure the pulley on the alternator is lined up with pulleys on the engine? ...

Jim

Yes. It is usually not the most learned character putting these alternators together.

Happy that you got it fingered out.
Neils88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2015 11:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Well new alternator is in and running. Battery is maintaining 13-14 volts while running. All is good for the moment. {crosses fingers} The one good side effect of this is, I can change an alternator in under an hour. 😁

Jim

Did you have the battery tested? A bad battery could kill your new alternator. It may seem to hold its charge, but any bad cells will end up damaging the regulator and put you back to square one.
jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2015 12:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Neils88:

Did you have the battery tested? A bad battery could kill your new alternator. It may seem to hold its charge, but any bad cells will end up damaging the regulator and put you back to square one.

Yes, brand new. Thanks.

Jim
85 SE VIN 9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2015 11:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 85 SE VIN 9Send a Private Message to 85 SE VIN 9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Great that you got it going and thanks for updating! Is it still an '88 alternator or did you go back to stock? Also what brand of alternator and where did you get it (them)? Is the first a reman and the second new?
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock