Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Changing the alternator on an 86GT auto (Page 2)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Changing the alternator on an 86GT auto by justaw
Started on: 01-07-2016 04:17 PM
Replies: 46 (1080 views)
Last post by: Kevin87FieroGT on 01-10-2016 02:56 PM
IanT720

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2016 09:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IanT720Send a Private Message to IanT720Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This was the first job I did on my 85 GT. It sucked. Take off wheel, remove tierod from knuckle, unbolt alternator, unbolt alternator mount. To take off the alternator mount you do have to remove an engine mount bolt. But that's it. No need to drop the cradle. Goodluck.

------------------
1987 Fiero GTX 3800 Turbo... My Build, ST3 Cam, Lowered, Wheels, and pics enjoy!https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/089483.html

IP: Logged
Kevin87FieroGT

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2016 01:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Kevin87FieroGTSend a Private Message to Kevin87FieroGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Great thread on the swap.

I was looking for Rabid-Wombats posting on the swap but no joy there. Last time I saw it was in the cave, I believe Ogre had a link to a third party site. It was very straight forward with pictures discribing very well the process including the changing out of the plug and which wires go where. It would probably be helpful to many if someone has a copy to post it in the "FAQs and How To" section. Always seems this time of year there are request for info on the '85-'87 2.8L SI to CS swap. Possibly someone might have photos showing which of the factory alt. wires are used with the new CS plug . As they say, one look is worth a thousand words, especially with wiring.
Kevin87FieroGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2016 01:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Kevin87FieroGTSend a Private Message to Kevin87FieroGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Kevin87FieroGT

1202 posts
Member since Nov 2010

Originally posted by IanT720:

This was the first job I did on my 85 GT. It sucked. Take off wheel, remove tierod from knuckle, unbolt alternator, unbolt alternator mount. To take off the alternator mount you do have to remove an engine mount bolt. But that's it. No need to drop the cradle. Goodluck.

Well put. Did the same here.

justaw

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2016 02:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for justawSend a Private Message to justawEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by IanT720:

Good to hear another positive experience..and kind encouragement.

My first job on this 86 was swapping the infamous failing ignition module. It was a road repair involving only a 4 mile walk. Then came changing the distributor and coil. These days I carry spares'.... genuine Delco..NOS when I can find.

Also I just re-read the CS Swap form Ogre's redirected site. The pics are still there....

[This message has been edited by justaw (edited 01-10-2016).]

Kevin87FieroGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2016 02:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Kevin87FieroGTSend a Private Message to Kevin87FieroGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That's good news on the Ogre link! Can you post the link as I'm having a tough time finding it. Thanks!

I'd say once you've done the " on the road" repair of the distributor or its parts you are now an official Fiero owner. I got lucky, mine went bad on Goat Island (Niagra Falls, state park) on a Sunday evening in April. Luckily I had a spare module with me. The PO put in a new Cardone distributor just 1000 miles before the failure of its module on the island. Yep, got home and put in new AC module and pickup coil, all good since.

[This message has been edited by Kevin87FieroGT (edited 01-10-2016).]

justaw

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2016 02:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for justawSend a Private Message to justawEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Kevin87FieroGT:

That's good news on the Ogre link! Can you post the link as I'm having a tough time finding it. Thanks!

I'd say once you've done the " on the road" repair of the distributor or its parts you are now an official Fiero owner. I got lucky, mine went bad on Goat Island (Niagra Falls, state park) on a Sunday evening in April. Luckily I had a spare module with me. The PO put in a new Cardone distributor just 1000 miles before the failure of its module on the island. Yep, got home and put in new AC module and pickup coil, all good since.

Well I'll try.. here

I actually put in a Rich Porter diz. It seems to work alright. Someone before me had installed a custom diz that didn't use a delco pu coil. I had to put a new diz in so I tried the Rich Porter version. New Viton o-ring etc...

If I install any other type of ignition I may do a remote module install. I've done this on Ford products where heat was an issue and it works quite well..but today, all is well... I custom jumper-ed my engine bay fan to run when the engine runs so at least the air is flowing all time..

[This message has been edited by justaw (edited 01-10-2016).]

Kevin87FieroGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2016 02:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Kevin87FieroGTSend a Private Message to Kevin87FieroGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That's a good link. Got it listed as an update to: https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum9/HTML/000035.html (In the How To section)

[This message has been edited by Kevin87FieroGT (edited 01-10-2016).]

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock