Iac valve by newfiejeff
Started on: 02-28-2016 07:01 PM
Replies: 7 (564 views)
Last post by: LornesGT on 02-29-2016 09:20 PM
newfiejeff

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2016 07:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for newfiejeffSend a Private Message to newfiejeffEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
86 2m4
I was reading and in relation to my high idle post, I took the Iac off.
All looks clean but should I be able to move the pintle, I can't with mine
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
newfiejeff

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2016 07:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for newfiejeffSend a Private Message to newfiejeffEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok trying to understand how it works
I plugged up the hole going into the Iac valve on top of the throttle body and the car wouldn't start. I uncovered the hole and it started but high idle. I partly covered the hole and I got the idle to decrease.
It's a massive suction going on there in the hole

Votes out on bad Iac valve, pintle won't move in or out by hand,disconnecting the harness while idle changes nothing and massive suction going on there?
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2016 08:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
newfiejeff

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2016 09:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for newfiejeffSend a Private Message to newfiejeffEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
pintle doesn't move with key ahead while plugged into the harness and removed from throttle body, will check tomorrow in diagnostic mode to hear for clicks.
newfiejeff

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-29-2016 04:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for newfiejeffSend a Private Message to newfiejeffEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well I removed the IAC and put her in diagnostic mode and she was moving in and out. I started the car before I removed it and let it idle for about 20 secs or so and the RPMs was about 2200. I shut the car off and pulled the IAC and measure the pintle and it was 15/16 inch. I worked like a dog to push it in back in and finally a lot of pressure and wiggling it went back in.

Never drove the car yet.

So is it possible that the pintle can be sticking or not extend all the way?
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 464
Rate this member

Report this Post02-29-2016 05:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by newfiejeff:

So is it possible that the pintle can be sticking or not extend all the way?

When I "tested" the IAC valve while it was removed from my duke years ago... the pintle shot off into the grass. It was difficult to find. However, I at least knew the IAC valve was functioning.

Keep in mind the IAC valve can be working fine, but if there's crud in the passageway blocking smooth movement of the pintle, then it'll never extend/close properly.
newfiejeff

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-29-2016 08:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for newfiejeffSend a Private Message to newfiejeffEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
problem:high idle and getting higher, slight miss until warmed up(could be the temp sensor)
idle now at about 3200 give it a shot of gas and it goes down to about 2800 then climbs right back up. the car always idled high but gradually getting worse

recap:
Last fall and last week
replaced O2 sensor
wires
plugs
cap, rotor button
pick up coil, icm
pcv valve
new EGR valve and gasket
throttle moves freely and no binding in the accelerator cable
removed IAC, it pulses in diagnostic mode, very hard to push back to reset and finally, I got it to work, drove it to reset and still high idle, no dirt in IAC ports. Blocked the Iac port and car just about shut off, probably would have but uncovered it.
blocked all vacuum hoses and no difference to idle, sprayed all around egr gasket and no difference in idle, sprayed everything on top of the intake manifold and no difference, the only place I never sprayed is the bottom of the manifold where it joins to the engine.

any thoughts anyone
There is about 2500 klms or 1200 miles roughly or less on all parts.

[This message has been edited by newfiejeff (edited 02-29-2016).]

LornesGT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-29-2016 09:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LornesGTSend a Private Message to LornesGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You should not be adjusting the IAC by hand. Read this to set it properly

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...070315-2-078906.html

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock