Fusible 5 by NEVERDONE
Started on: 02-29-2016 05:49 PM
Replies: 32 (525 views)
Last post by: NEVERDONE on 03-23-2016 07:14 PM
NEVERDONE

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-29-2016 05:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NEVERDONESend a Private Message to NEVERDONEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
long story short I drilled through the firewall on the passenger side and hit the wiring harness that goes to the distribution block by the battery. It sparked, and blew the fusible link. I repaired the wire and the fusible link. The car starts up and runs fine but that wire by the fusible link gets hot and blows the fuse. It is the red wire that goes up to the ignition switch. I thought maybe I fried the ignition switch so I replaced it and no change. Spent all day chasing wires and everything looks to be fine. I even replaced the fusible link with a factory one off of another car and still the same thing. I missed work today and I need to go to work tomorrow so any help tonight would be appreciated.
The car is an 86 SE v6 4 speed.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Thunderstruck GT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post02-29-2016 05:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Thunderstruck GTSend a Private Message to Thunderstruck GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How did you repair the fusible link?

Did you use fusible link wire?

There is a certain resistance required.

[This message has been edited by Thunderstruck GT (edited 02-29-2016).]

NEVERDONE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-29-2016 05:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NEVERDONESend a Private Message to NEVERDONEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I went and baught one of the ones off the shelf. The problem with that is, the o.e. is 2 different guage wires. The new one with the glass fuse is the same guage on both ends. The side that bolts to the terminal by the distribution block is where it keeps getting hot and blows the fuse.
NEVERDONE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-29-2016 06:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NEVERDONESend a Private Message to NEVERDONEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

NEVERDONE

1088 posts
Member since Sep 2011
I'm getting power to everything I side the car. As well as all the lights and fan. I'm at a loss here.
notwohorns

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-29-2016 07:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for notwohornsSend a Private Message to notwohornsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you installed a glass fuse, that's no good. A fuse and a fusible link are two different things. A fuse can't stand up to a surge in current and a fusible link can. Parts store sell fusible links or fusible link wires
NEVERDONE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-29-2016 09:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NEVERDONESend a Private Message to NEVERDONEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I got another original equipment off of another car for the fusible link.
NEVERDONE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-01-2016 07:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NEVERDONESend a Private Message to NEVERDONEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How hot should the wire for the fusible link get?
notwohorns

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-01-2016 08:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for notwohornsSend a Private Message to notwohornsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Shouldn't get hot
NEVERDONE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-01-2016 08:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NEVERDONESend a Private Message to NEVERDONEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok so, the red wire from the ignition switch is still getting hot. I put the key in the run position, turned on lights, fan, and blower for the vents. The fusible link coming out of the Junction block is the only part getting hot. I don't see any ground wires at all. I'm at a loss. This is my daily driver! Any ideas are welcomed!!!
NEVERDONE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2016 09:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NEVERDONESend a Private Message to NEVERDONEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Is the Junction block grounded at any point?
NEVERDONE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2016 07:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NEVERDONESend a Private Message to NEVERDONEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

NEVERDONE

1088 posts
Member since Sep 2011
Any ideas anybody?! Please!!! 3 days of chasing wires, volt testing....same results!!!!
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2016 07:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by NEVERDONE:

Is the Junction block grounded at any point?

That would be a bad thing....

Your link getting hot has to do with the circuit that it is powering...not the Junction block. Have you looked at the resistor plate?
Do you have any battery drain?
Does the link get hot with key on, everything off? Turn on one thing at a time to see when the link gets hot.

[This message has been edited by Gall757 (edited 03-02-2016).]

Thunderstruck GT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2016 08:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Thunderstruck GTSend a Private Message to Thunderstruck GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sometimes it's difficult diagnosing an issue over the internet.

Kinda like those, "my engine is making a noise" or "my car runs rough" things.

That's why I usually don't get involved with mechanical issues over the internet. Too many variables.

My best suggestion at this point is to get a factory service manual and follow the flow charts and wiring diagrams.
NEVERDONE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2016 09:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NEVERDONESend a Private Message to NEVERDONEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've narrowed it down to the blower motor for the ac, and the radiator fan motor. I'm tracing the wires back but so far, everything looks good.
From what I've read, this circuit powers the headlights, rad fan, and ac blower, and maybe the rally guages. The headlights aren't causing it to get hot. The blower and rad fan are. I've torn out everything including my skeleton, steering colomn, and looked at every ground I could think of. And it all checks out.
Gall757

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2016 09:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Most things on that circuit are also fused, but a few are not. Are you running your heater fan on high?

[This message has been edited by Gall757 (edited 03-02-2016).]

NEVERDONE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2016 10:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NEVERDONESend a Private Message to NEVERDONEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes I am running it on high. Didn't even think about that.

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2016 08:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hot is relative I guess, perhaps when a huge draw like fans are on it does get hot? Normal? They usually aren't on for long periods of time.

(non expert answer)

A fuse blowing to me, means grounded out where it shouldn't be.

Maybe when the wires were crossed it melted something else and that is now permanently grounded out.

I hate electrical problems.

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 03-03-2016).]

NEVERDONE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2016 09:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NEVERDONESend a Private Message to NEVERDONEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I can run the car with nothing on and it's all fine. I've unplugged and looked at the relays for the blower, and the rad fan. Not one single wire is even discolored. The only wire that was hit was the red wire going to the ignition switch. As far as I can see from the diagrams, it goes straight from the Junction block to the switch. One wire, no stops along the way.

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2016 10:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I've narrowed it down to the blower motor for the ac, and the radiator fan motor. I'm tracing the wires back but so far, everything looks good.
From what I've read, this circuit powers the headlights, rad fan, and ac blower, and maybe the rally guages. The headlights aren't causing it to get hot. The blower and rad fan are. I've torn out everything including my skeleton, steering colomn, and looked at every ground I could think of. And it all checks out.

Does the blower blow the fuse even if the AC is off? Maybe its just the rad fan, since the rad fan always kicks on if the AC button is pushed.

If so you could alt least unplug the rad fan and drive it, unless your car runs hot (well maybe you cant, you are in Texas.).

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 03-03-2016).]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2016 10:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

43231 posts
Member since May 2007
I think the next step would be measuring ohms of resistance on individual components / wires.
I'm no expert at that. Id start with the rad fan.
Could also measure if the battery is draining when the car is off?

Just ideas I hope more people have ideas for you.
NEVERDONE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2016 01:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NEVERDONESend a Private Message to NEVERDONEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
At this point I'm just tearing things out to see what's there.
PFF
System Bot
NEVERDONE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2016 05:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NEVERDONESend a Private Message to NEVERDONEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It still gets hot. I shut it off before it gets a chance to blow the link. I replaced alternator thinking maybe I fried the diodes. No change. Found the rad fan motor relay would cut off if I wiggled it. Put a new one on there. Works perfectly. But fusible link "a" and "e" are still getting hot. Link "e" is only slightly warm as where link "a" is getting uncomfortably hot. I've tried all combinations of lights, rad fan, and ac.
Fan only; link a is warm.
Ac only; link a is hot
Lights only; link a is nice and cool.
Car running with ac on; link a is hot hot and link e is warm.
Checked blower relays and resistor, all are fine. Followed grounds, all look good.
There is another thread started severe months back describing the exact same thing but with no resolution.
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/135599.html
NEVERDONE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2016 01:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NEVERDONESend a Private Message to NEVERDONEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Car is going to the shop on Monday.
Gall757

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2016 01:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Car is going to the shop on Monday.

uuugh.
NEVERDONE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2016 02:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NEVERDONESend a Private Message to NEVERDONEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If I could post pics from my phone I'd show how far I've gotten!!!
NEVERDONE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2016 12:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NEVERDONESend a Private Message to NEVERDONEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bump.

Any ideas before I take it in tomorrow?!

Edit: how do you know if the Junction block is bad or has a bad connection? I took it all off and it looks ok. Oohing is broken and the dual eyelet is clean as well.

[This message has been edited by NEVERDONE (edited 03-06-2016).]

ILVMYGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2016 05:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ILVMYGTSend a Private Message to ILVMYGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you had a "clamp on" amp meter you could measure the current draw at the fuse link and each component. A "clamp on" amp meter allows you to measure the current without damaging the wiring by clamping around the wire. It's a very useful tool.

http://www.amazon.com/Uni-T...lamp+on+dc+amp+meter

Measure the current at the link and the component, then the link and the other component. See how turning on and off the component affect the current draw. With that information you could possibly determine the bad component. I would guess that the radiator fan would draw about 15 amps and blower motor would draw 10 amps. If the current does not change the same at both location it would indicate a short or ground between the link and component.

------------------
88 GT 5 Speed Black with gray interior
3800 SCII Swap Complete.
Paint Complete
Detailing in Progress

IT RUNS!!
IT'S QUICK!!

"Real integrity is doing the right thing, knowing that nobody's going to know whether you did it or not."

NEVERDONE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2016 07:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NEVERDONESend a Private Message to NEVERDONEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks but after a week, I gotta have a car for work. It's going to a shop in the morning. I'll report back when I I find out what's goin on.
NEVERDONE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2016 07:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NEVERDONESend a Private Message to NEVERDONEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Shop narrowed it down to the blower motor. Said it was pulling a constant 17 volts or amps, don't remember. Got new blower motor. Installed and same results. Fusible link getting hot . I baught new fusible link wire, installed, STILL effin getting hot!
Gall757

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2016 10:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You are living up to your screen name.....
88cryan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2016 01:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 88cryanSend a Private Message to 88cryanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hello, I'm the one having the same problem,

That sucks about the blower not fixing it. 17 amps would be a lot, my blower motor tested at 9.8 amps. I am waiting to buy an amp clamp as the ogre suggested to further diag mine. What can you tell me about your cars history and what if anything you've done to it? I'm starting to think ouside the box on mine....seeing that Fuse A powers a lot of things inside the car as well.
PFF
System Bot
Neils88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2016 06:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would start by disconnecting the blower motor and running it directly to the battery while checking it's current draw...just to see what it should be drawing. With it disconnected at the blower and the battery disconnected, check the resistance of the blower wires (heading to the relay) to ground. If you have almost no resistance then you've missed a short somewhere.
NEVERDONE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2016 07:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NEVERDONESend a Private Message to NEVERDONEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well after all that I could think of, I finally just put a 40 amp maxi fuse in place of the fusible link. I ran the heater and the ac all the way home yesterday and today. It was just slightly warm to the touch. I'll keep driving that way until it blows the fuse or whatever component is not doing what it's supposed to be doing! And carrying an extra fuse as well!

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock