Transmission fluid disappeared? by Noah Chadwick
Started on: 06-01-2016 12:48 PM
Replies: 20 (538 views)
Last post by: cvxjet on 06-05-2016 02:09 PM
Noah Chadwick

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2016 12:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Noah ChadwickSend a Private Message to Noah ChadwickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
84 automatic, no leaking, nothing, dropped the pan, cleaned it up , new filter etc , checked the haynes manual for the specific amount to add (4 quarts with a pan drop) , added that amount, drive about 100 miles over the next few days, checked the dipstick while at operating temperature after a trip, while in park idling, dipstick is completely bare besides a small bead on the very bottom?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2016 12:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You have transmission fluid lines that run to the radiator in front. Maybe you have a puddle under the radiator, or you could have a leak that only happens while the car is moving.

It's unlikely, but check for oil in the coolant......maybe the transmission line that is inside the radiator is leaking.

[This message has been edited by Gall757 (edited 06-01-2016).]

Noah Chadwick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2016 01:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Noah ChadwickSend a Private Message to Noah ChadwickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i'll check for the puddle you mentioned, though i know i dont have a leak while moving because i've driven around a parking lot in the same small pattern looking for such things, thank you for your input i appreciate it
Noah Chadwick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2016 01:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Noah ChadwickSend a Private Message to Noah ChadwickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Noah Chadwick

9 posts
Member since Apr 2016
i checked all things you mentioned, no puddle, no fluid in coolant, checked the dipstick again and while cold it reads full at the perfect level?
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2016 01:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Auto trans dipsticks are checked with the engine running.
seajai

Feedback score:    (42)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 52
Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2016 01:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for seajaiSend a Private Message to seajaiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Did you check the level after you serviced the transmission before your 100 mile trip? Was it ok at that time? Just because the Haynes manual spec'd 4 quarts doesn't mean that's what its going to take. You still need to check for proper level when the transmission is warmed up. Add the appropriate amount to get the level correct when warm and recheck it again in another 100 miles. If it goes low again, you have a leak somewhere. If it doesn't, then there is no problem.
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2016 02:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I agree with the above. Make sure the transmission fluid is filled properly, then drive it awhile and check the fluid level again.
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 464
Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2016 03:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Noah Chadwick:

....checked the dipstick again and while cold it reads full at the perfect level?

And that tells you next to nothing... other than the fact that yes, you have fluid in the tranny.

As already mentioned... the fluid level is checked in an automatic tranny when it's warmed up and the engine is running (and also after the gear selector has been shifted into every "gear" for several seconds).

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 06-01-2016).]

thesameguy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2016 03:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for thesameguySend a Private Message to thesameguyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Blacktree:

I agree with the above. Make sure the transmission fluid is filled properly, then drive it awhile and check the fluid level again.

And "by a while" I'm sure he means like 10 or 20 minutes.

4qts on a pan drop seems like not very much. How much came out?

[This message has been edited by thesameguy (edited 06-01-2016).]

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 572
Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2016 05:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
"the haynes manual for the specific amount to add (4 quarts with a pan drop)" is BS spec and means little to nothing.
Worse, filter change that only replaces ~4q is worthless. Trans and coolant lines in Fiero holes ~9-10q but you never get all of it by adding drain to TC or using my method. (See my Cave, Automatic) (Adding TC drain isn't a good plan for most people. If leaks can empty the trans.)

Engine running. Check level and fill to dip stick full when trans is hot. If cold then use add 1 pint as full because trans oil Will "grow" from heat then check again after driving.
Overfill can cause foaming which can cause same problems as low oil level. Poor shifting etc.

IF leaking the oil drops/puddles will show where very soon. If slow leak then look at trans and oil lines.

Originally posted by Gall757:
It's unlikely, but check for oil in the coolant......maybe the transmission line that is inside the radiator is leaking.
When that happens, you often have coolant in the oil. Very easy to see when trans oil is bad and likely kill the trans too.

Oil coolant lines have X PSI when Engine is running. (I don't find exact PSI in a quick look at FSM.)
Coolant system is 0-16PSI depending how bad the coolant leak is. Will have pressure after shutdown until leak lets pressure out or system cools enough.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2016 10:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Are you Talking about the trany or engine oil, because that is what the manual calls for, for an oil change and even that is wrong, its supposed to be 4.5 quart I believe anyway, even in the original owners manual they got it wrong if I remember right, the other guys will chine in if I am wrong about that but I always end up with half a quart of oil I leave in the car for those just in case times. Trany fluid can be anywhere from 4 quarts to a few gallons, oil you do not ever check with the engine running, trany fluid you do.

And Oh Ya

Welcome aboard,

You can check out any time you like, but you can never leave.

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't

Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

[This message has been edited by 84fiero123 (edited 06-01-2016).]

PFF
System Bot
theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2016 02:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 84fiero123:
Are you Talking about the trany or engine oil, because that is what the manual calls for, for an oil change and even that is wrong, its supposed to be 4.5 quart I believe anyway, even in the original owners manual they got it wrong if I remember right, the other guys will chine in if I am wrong about that but I always end up with half a quart of oil I leave in the car for those just in case times. Trany fluid can be anywhere from 4 quarts to a few gallons, oil you do not ever check with the engine running, trany fluid you do.
Do you pull off engine pan to change oil?

84 automatic, no leaking, nothing, dropped the pan, cleaned it up , new filter etc , checked the haynes manual for the specific amount to add (4 quarts with a pan drop) , added that amount, drive about 100 miles over the next few days, checked the dipstick while at operating temperature after a trip, while in park idling, dipstick is completely bare besides a small bead on the very bottom?
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2016 07:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by theogre:

[QUOTE]Originally posted by 84fiero123:
Do you pull off engine pan to change oil?

[/QUOTE]

With some of the people here, anything is possible. he still hasn't answered my questions now has he, I try to give people the benefit of having some brains but many times I have seen later they don't know a thing. Not going to embarrass them but lets put it this way, many people have a lot of extra money to throw around on tools and then they think they know what they are doing.

No one would ever try to jack there Fiero up with an old style bumper jack, or would they. People think they know what something is called yet they don't, but insist they know what they are doing. How can we help people if they don't even know what parts they are working on are.

How about the smelling of the dipstick to see the condition of a trany. No one even mentioned that in this case and it is a legitimate check to see the tranys condition. If the trany was as low as he said and he took it for a ride without checking the fluid level first before driving the car he could have damaged the trany with that drive, smell the fluid can verify that.

How about the checking of the trany fluid after refilling with the dipstick before ever starting the engine. Trany fluid should be full if not overfull after a fluid change to be close to full when running. We all know trany fluid goes down once started and warmed up, but many new members don't.

This is a new member, really new, we know anything about his ability's yet.

Steve

[This message has been edited by 84fiero123 (edited 06-02-2016).]

thesameguy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2016 08:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for thesameguySend a Private Message to thesameguyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Fluid expands when hot.
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2016 05:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Check again as per instructions, top off as needed.

From the 84 Owner's Manual

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

darbysan

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2016 11:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for darbysanSend a Private Message to darbysanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'll add this as it is another possibility. I had the Vacuum Modulator go bad once, and it allowed trans fluid to be sucked into the intake. Only visible when doing a WOT burst, but then it would put out a white smoke screen that would make a destroyer proud
Check the vacuum line that goes to the modulator. If it has trans fluid inside the line, could be your culprit.
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2016 11:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by darbysan:

I'll add this as it is another possibility. I had the Vacuum Modulator go bad once, and it allowed trans fluid to be sucked into the intake. Only visible when doing a WOT burst, but then it would put out a white smoke screen that would make a destroyer proud
Check the vacuum line that goes to the modulator. If it has trans fluid inside the line, could be your culprit.

I don't believe the tranny in the Fiero has this... at least I don't remember any vac lines running to tranny. Hmmm

I had what you described happen to me... on my '66 olds
theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2016 11:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

TH125c Does Not have this problem because Doesn't use a modulator.
4 speed autos w/o PCM control Can have this problem.
tebailey

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2016 01:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tebaileySend a Private Message to tebaileyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

My 67 Pontiac did the same thing, but the newer (as in less than 45yrs) rarely use them.
darbysan

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2016 10:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for darbysanSend a Private Message to darbysanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tebailey:

My 67 Pontiac did the same thing, but the newer (as in less than 45yrs) rarely use them.

My '95 4t60e out of the Riviera still has one, as did my '85 El Camino th350c. I've never seen a TH125, so I was just guessing....

------------------
'87 GT in process, including GA / Seville brakes, Poly Suspension, '95 3800 Series 1 SC ( 225 hp ) 4t60e.

cvxjet

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2016 02:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Off topic a bit but....the Alien thing; I believe it was in C&D mag that someone wrote an article about automatic transmissions- His basic concept was that when he looked in a manual, you see gears and stuff that can obviously transmit power/movement....But he had taken a AT apart and found all kinds of weird parts with no visible ability to transmit power....He theorized that Aliens were using the Earth as a dumping ground for used space ship parts......I can't do the article justice, but it was really funny.

Now back to our regularly scheduled program.......
PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock