Fuel Pump Pulsator---Pro/Cons by jim
Started on: 02-04-2017 02:35 PM
Replies: 14 (996 views)
Last post by: ignorant prodigy on 02-10-2017 03:53 PM
jim

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2017 02:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jimSend a Private Message to jimEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
87 Gt
Replacing fuel sending unit with after market one from Fiero store.
Also ordered pulsator.
Have some concern about using the pulsator vs rubber hose and clamps. The pulsator
just doesn't seem to fit tight enough on the fuel line--I'm sure it won't leak now but concerned about
how long it will work without leaking
Anyone have any problem with pulsator leaking?
Tks

Was reading replies then looked at my post---can't believe I've been a member of this great site for 17 years!

[This message has been edited by jim (edited 02-04-2017).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fieromatty

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2017 03:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieromattySend a Private Message to fieromattyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Isn't it really just used to reduce noise. I always just rubber hose mine, no worries
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 329
Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2017 05:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieromatty:

Isn't it really just used to reduce noise. I always just rubber hose mine, no worries

With most modern fuel pumps a short piece of SAE J30R10 submersible fuel injection hose held in place with fuel injection hose clamps, will work with no ill effects. Regular SAE J30R9 fuel injection line will deteriorate with time.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

James Bond 007

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 263
Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2017 07:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for James Bond 007Send a Private Message to James Bond 007Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ive allways used a rubber hose and clamps and yes I remember the pulsater not being very tight, it amazes me that the pulsater never blew off. I use 2 zip ties to secure the fuel pump to the sending unit (optional). Be sure to read the instructions on the new fuel pump. Some fuel pump manufacturers reverse wire the fuel pumps for example the OEM Pump might be small prong + Hot and the Big prong -- Negative, an after market pump might be small prong -- Negative and the Big prong + Hot.

[This message has been edited by James Bond 007 (edited 02-04-2017).]

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 572
Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2017 08:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieromatty:
Wrong.
V6 uses High pressure gear, aka Gerotor, pumps and like most other Positive Displacement pumps makes shock and vibration to the entire system and what you hear as noise can break other parts.

Some New style pumps don't need a Pulsator and many will say not to use one w/ them.

Pulsators work sim to SharkBite plumbing. No pressure then easy to move/remove parts. When system has pressure, seals go tight and won't move.

(Fiero 4 cyl pump etc only sees 9-13psi and doesn't need a Pulsator to help muffler fuel vibration.)

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

viperine

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2017 09:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for viperineSend a Private Message to viperineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I reused the factory pulsator when I put a new pump in my 87 GT last year. I had let this forum get me all worked up about submersible hose and then I saw the price and availability of it. Spoke with my mechanic about the issue and he said he never had a pulsator go bad.
After 50+ years doing what he does, I took his advice and have no regrets.

Not sure why so many fuel pump replacements on this forum even bring the pulsator up.
darbysan

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2017 10:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for darbysanSend a Private Message to darbysanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My pulsator went bad on me. Couldn't get 30 psi , and car would not start. replaced with an EP381 pump and the correct hose, and it was SO MUCH quieter that I have to watch the Volt Gauge to see if it is priming. No way I'm going to drop the tank and not replace the pump if I don't know the history of what is in the tank. Too much work!
Raydar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2017 11:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by theogre:

...Fiero 4 cyl pump etc only sees 9-13psi and doesn't need a Pulsator to help muffler fuel vibration.

My 88 4 cylinder's fuel pump sounds like a Cessna, even with a full tank. So did the 84, even with a brand new AC Delco pump.

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 572
Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2017 09:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:
My 88 4 cylinder's fuel pump sounds like a Cessna, even with a full tank. So did the 84, even with a brand new AC Delco pump.
Motor noise isn't same as pump "noise." What you hear can be either or both. how bad you hear depend on many things like iffy pump or tank install. I only hear mine a little to prime w/o the engine running or oil is cold after moving to snow shovel etc.

Pump "noise" can often be seen high grade pressure gauge etc. Most mechanical gauges are not sensitive enough to see much unless is really bad. (Have to power the pump but not start the engine. Injectors make hydraulic "noise" too.)

4cyl has enough rubber hose from body to engine to absorb most pump "noise" at low pressure.
My notes 4cyl doesn't use them but you can try but Most Pulsator are made to work best at high pressure.

Note:
Walbro pumps are now sold directly by Walbro.
This is to fight many counterfeits on Ebay etc.
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2017 09:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would suggest using a pulsator with the stock V6 fuel pump. As Ogre mentioned above, the vibrations in the fuel system can cause premature failure of fuel system components.

That said, the Corvette fuel pump that I installed recently (Delphi FE0114) doesn't use a pulsator. It came with a short piece of hose. And it's damn near silent. I have to check the gauges when I turn the key, to make sure it's running.
1MohrFiero

Feedback score:    (37)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 157
Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2017 07:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 1MohrFieroSend a Private Message to 1MohrFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am planning to replace my OEM pump and generally clean up the fuel system with new lines and such. I plan to upgrade to a 3800 in the future. Should I go with an OEM pump or upgrade to something bigger like the Delphi? Will the regulator and return line be okay with a bigger pump?
PFF
System Bot
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2017 10:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don't think the stock Fiero fuel pump will flow enough to support a 3800. Mine was having trouble keeping up with a moderately tweaked 3.4 V6.
Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 329
Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2017 02:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Been using the Bosch turbine fuel pumps with straight J30R10 hose for years. Never a problem with any noise, no breakage after years of use.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

DrCool86SE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2017 02:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DrCool86SESend a Private Message to DrCool86SEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had to take my fuel tank off a couple times in the beginning and being the newbie that I was and still am I didn't have a clue what the pulsator was or did or looked like. But the 3rd time I had it apart, I somehow moved it and didn't notice or care...and of course, the car wouldn't start because it couldn't get pressure. So I dropped the tank one last time, replaced the perfectly fine pulsator with the submersible line and clamps and now I don't have to worry about whether I've moved it before putting it back together ever again. One last little thing to NOT worry about in my book.
ignorant prodigy

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2017 03:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ignorant prodigySend a Private Message to ignorant prodigyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I used the cheapy fuel line that came with my walbro years ago in my 3800 sc swap
it wind up splitting and leaking. I needed a quick fix so I threw the stock pulsator on and never looked back.

I didn't notice a difference in sound though.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock