87 GT Blue paint codes by wgpierce
Started on: 03-10-2017 02:20 AM
Replies: 9 (443 views)
Last post by: wgpierce on 04-01-2017 06:11 PM
wgpierce

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2017 02:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for wgpierceSend a Private Message to wgpierceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Trying to get some touch up paint for my 87. I have found that no one actually lists code 21U as Bright Blue metallic and all of the colors I've seen associated with 21 online don't look right. Also when I search for the supposed WA number for BBM, I see a totally different color.

What I have seen that looks OK is code 23, but that simply doesn't match any of the documentation I can find on this subject. Both the car and the Pontiac product book show what everyone else knows is supposed to be right, Code 21 but I just can't seem to find the right match.

Can anyone who's got some paint recently comment?

Thanks,

Greg
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2017 04:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This issue came up about 6 months ago, and after a long discussion, it appears that all the sample chips in the literature are not the same color that was put on the car.

Let's talk about the hue of the blue

[This message has been edited by Gall757 (edited 03-12-2017).]

pHoOl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2017 10:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pHoOlClick Here to visit pHoOl's HomePageSend a Private Message to pHoOlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'll be following with interest... when my red one needs a respray, I'd love to turn it 87 blue
wgpierce

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2017 04:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for wgpierceSend a Private Message to wgpierceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I guess my issue is being outside the US I can't just go get something local. I wanted to try one of the online places but no one seems to have a color that's even close when I look at what is supposed to be the original paint code.

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2017 08:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If your car is blue there are paint shops/ parts stores that will use a special camera and take a photo of your paint and then mix it.
wgpierce

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2017 03:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for wgpierceSend a Private Message to wgpierceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
^^^ True in the US, few and far in Oz.
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2017 09:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Perhaps. But the paint mixing method should be the same in either OZ or Trumpland. IF you could confirm that, a car could be scanned here, and translated into the paint mix weights, and sent to you via this forum. You have to be sure the same basic mix colors are used.

[This message has been edited by Gall757 (edited 03-15-2017).]

mad dad matt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2017 10:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mad dad mattSend a Private Message to mad dad mattEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I reshot parts of my 87 with the factory blue last year after doing body work.I didn't see how much you were trying to cover but Sherwood Williams has a automotive paint store that pulled the it right up.I can see where I feathered it in a few spots on the hood trying not to disturb the Pegasus.When I point it out to others they still can't see it.I would say it was a pretty good color match for years of fading.For small chips you could brush it on but a $20 ebay airbrush would make it smoother.hope this helps.
mad dad matt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2017 11:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mad dad mattSend a Private Message to mad dad mattEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

mad dad matt

102 posts
Member since Feb 2014
just saw you are in Australia.I don't know if you have Sherwood Williams down there but they are online.I grabbed my cans from the shop.
Paint; ultra 7000 base code: 8963 87 general motors bright blue metallic
clear coat ;acme finish 1 FC720
hardener; acme finish 1 FH612
I bought this by the quart (enough to repaint a fiero) but they do sell touch up bottles as well.You may need to online chat with them to get the right touch up version but I know this paint is almost a dead on match.
wgpierce

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2017 06:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wgpierceSend a Private Message to wgpierceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sorry no SW here But thanks for the info.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock