Started on: 04-02-2017 04:18 PM
Replies: 17 (435 views)
Last post by: olejoedad on 04-07-2017 05:43 PM
ARKaiser

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2017 04:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ARKaiserSend a Private Message to ARKaiserEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I thought all cars were wired the same and all I had to do was plug things in. I pulled the overhead light unit down and find I only have a two wire connection and I I need a 4 wire. Am I going to have to rewire the whole car?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Spadesluck

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2017 04:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpadesluckSend a Private Message to SpadesluckEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I know that there are two different wiring harnesses, one with and one without the performance sound option. I know this because I have both of them in my garage. If your car did not come with the performance sound it probably does not have the wiring. Someone else may say otherwise
notwohorns

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2017 07:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for notwohornsSend a Private Message to notwohornsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You have to install the complete wiring harness that goes to the performance sound system
ag9123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2017 09:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ag9123Send a Private Message to ag9123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I found a complete subwoofer system at the local junkyard. Looking at the harness, it looks like a bear to get that thing out of there..is it as hard as it looks? any suggestions would be appreciated.

------------------
1984 Indy Fiero

fierosound

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2017 11:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 04-03-2017).]

ag9123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2017 03:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ag9123Send a Private Message to ag9123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow! Thanks Fierosound! Those diagrams were exactly what I needed.....Not as bad as I thought.. I think I can take out the speakers and radio and remove the headliner to get at everything.

------------------
1984 Indy Fiero

Rsvl-Rider

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2017 03:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rsvl-RiderSend a Private Message to Rsvl-RiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ag9123:

Wow! Thanks Fierosound! Those diagrams were exactly what I needed.....Not as bad as I thought.. I think I can take out the speakers and radio and remove the headliner to get at everything.

You shouldn't have to remove the headliner. Just the driver side sun visor, dome light and the driver side A pillar. Once you remove the A pillar to get at the long stretch of harness that travels up to the headliner and across to the dome light you should get enough headliner clearance to remove it.
ag9123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2017 03:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ag9123Send a Private Message to ag9123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Actually this was a junkyard find. The interior of the 86 SE was totally trashed , console ripped out, headliner mostly gone...so I'll go back and retrieve the harness. Hard to believe the subwoofer etc wasn't already gone. I was hoping my 84 would have the same harness but I've come to learn that a different harness was used for the premium sound system.

------------------
1984 Indy Fiero

Rsvl-Rider

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2017 04:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rsvl-RiderSend a Private Message to Rsvl-RiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Actually this was a junkyard find. The interior of the 86 SE was totally trashed , console ripped out, headliner mostly gone...so I'll go back and retrieve the harness. Hard to believe the subwoofer etc wasn't already gone. I was hoping my 84 would have the same harness but I've come to learn that a different harness was used for the premium sound system.

If might suggest...

I found two complete systems in junk yards. In both cases the amplifiers were toast. You might try making all the connections and testing the system before you go to the trouble of actually installing the system in the car. Better also visually check the condition of the speaker before you decide the amp is bad. Could just be the speaker is simply deteriorated from age. You will probably want a new speaker either way due to the age of the paper speaker cone. One of my finds was shredded nearly all the way around the circumference. I think Rodney sells a replacement speaker.
ARKaiser

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2017 05:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ARKaiserSend a Private Message to ARKaiserEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierosound:

Interesting. My connector on the overhead unit is 4 wire. This looks to be 2 wire which is what I have in the car I want to install in.

I haven't gotten any further then that. I guess I'm going to have to pull everything out of the donor car to see exactly what I have.
Rsvl-Rider

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2017 07:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rsvl-RiderSend a Private Message to Rsvl-RiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ARKaiser:

Interesting. My connector on the overhead unit is 4 wire. This looks to be 2 wire which is what I have in the car I want to install in.

I haven't gotten any further then that. I guess I'm going to have to pull everything out of the donor car to see exactly what I have.

I'm a little confused. Does your overhead dome light assembly have a volume slider between the left and right light switches like this one? Sometimes the "Performance Sound" plate is missing but it should have the slider.

PFF
System Bot
ARKaiser

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2017 11:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ARKaiserSend a Private Message to ARKaiserEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

ag9123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2017 12:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ag9123Send a Private Message to ag9123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks to Fierosound, I was able to retrieve the harness. So now I have a complete subwoofer setup, dome light/sound switch, subwoofer (with tube), amp (with mounting plate) and all wiring.

------------------
1984 Indy Fiero

fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2017 01:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Thanks to Fierosound, I was able to retrieve the harness. So now I have a complete subwoofer setup, dome light/sound switch, subwoofer (with tube), amp (with mounting plate) and all wiring.

Spadesluck

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2017 01:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpadesluckSend a Private Message to SpadesluckEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice find.
fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2017 11:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
ag9123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2017 05:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ag9123Send a Private Message to ag9123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
One final trip to the junkyard to get the heater core cover that has the mounting bracket for the sub box...

------------------
1984 Indy Fiero

olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 206
Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2017 05:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just looked in this thread.
Don't need to rewire the car. There is a separate four wire subharness that replaces the two wire subharness in your car.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock