Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  How to replace inner and outer dew wipes. Videos.

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
How to replace inner and outer dew wipes. Videos. by 2.5
Started on: 05-17-2017 04:51 PM
Replies: 8 (1738 views)
Last post by: deezil on 05-23-2021 12:17 AM

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2017 04:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Two good simple videos I found on youtube.
Both videos I believe are by PFF forum members.
Some differences, and some good different tips in each.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kiRvvZNDw7Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvk-hipMrfE

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 05-17-2017).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 329
Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2017 12:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Use the technique outlines in the top video with the exception is that I have never had to remove the window guide. There is a way to get the window up high enough and back slightly with the guide still in place. Then you just reach under the glass with the small philips screwdriver and remove the last two screws that hold the dew wipe in place. Figure a minimum of two hours to get this done.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2017 01:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

Use the technique outlines in the top video with the exception is that I have never had to remove the window guide. There is a way to get the window up high enough and back slightly with the guide still in place.

What is the way?

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 05-18-2017).]

Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 329
Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2017 03:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

What is the way?

With the stops removed, I've raised the window all the way up and have pushed it to the rear. That will expose th screws. Sometimes takes a few tries but it can be done. I find this easier than trying to remove the two hidden screws from the outside with the right angle phillips screw driver that was developed by Rodney. That way is still a good way to do it but I have not mastered the technique.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

fierofool

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2017 03:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Using a box cutter, slice away the old dew wipe rubber. Remove the inner wipe. Loosen the inner felt pads. After lowering the window and removing the outer screws you can raise and tilt the window in slightly. Wood wedges used to square up new door and window frames can be used between Rodney's dew wipe tool and the window to exert force against the tool, keeping it engaged with the screw head. Protects the window and fits in there better than a finger. Place a magnetic pick-up tool below the screw being removed in case it falls.
Chris Eddy

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2017 06:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris EddySend a Private Message to Chris EddyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My only regret is not replacing the two felt pads (the ones riveted to the wipe) at the same time. They still streak the window.
Also, your new rivets (if you make your own wipes) are not flush like the original. So I drilled from the inside to allow for a hole for the rivet to sit in. It involves drilling two holes, inner and outer. Then the strip sits nice and flush. The holes are hidden by the inner panel.
Rsvl-Rider

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2017 07:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rsvl-RiderSend a Private Message to Rsvl-RiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierofool:

Using a box cutter, slice away the old dew wipe rubber. Remove the inner wipe. Loosen the inner felt pads. After lowering the window and removing the outer screws you can raise and tilt the window in slightly. Wood wedges used to square up new door and window frames can be used between Rodney's dew wipe tool and the window to exert force against the tool, keeping it engaged with the screw head. Protects the window and fits in there better than a finger. Place a magnetic pick-up tool below the screw being removed in case it falls.

This method has worked for me on three cars (with the exception of the wood wedges - might need to try that). One thing I do upon reassembly for the middle screws (after raising the window to full height) is to push the screw through the sticky side of a length of masking tape. Then position it on Rodney's tool and tape it down securely around the back. This should hold it in place while you line up the screw with the hole. Once you get that first 1/4 turn to bite you should be able to just twist and pull the tool away and remove any remaining tape under the screw before tightening. Remember not to tighten any of the screws until you have them all started.
seajai

Feedback score:    (42)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 52
Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2017 08:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for seajaiSend a Private Message to seajaiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The top one is me. Done a half dozen or so like this, takes about 45 minutes per side.

[This message has been edited by seajai (edited 05-18-2017).]

deezil

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2021 12:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for deezilSend a Private Message to deezilEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by seajai:

The top one is me. Done a half dozen or so like this, takes about 45 minutes per side.

Where can we get the inner dew wipe from? Its mentioned in your video but we don't know where to get them or rather what chevy truck to get them from.

[This message has been edited by deezil (edited 05-23-2021).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock