Modifying the blue dingy thingy by 2.5
Started on: 03-08-2018 08:49 AM
Replies: 17 (821 views)
Last post by: fierosound on 03-16-2018 01:05 PM

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2018 08:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The door chime box, aka the blue dingy thingy, is there a write up somewhere on how to customize it? Maybe there are just wires inside to reroute, or chips you can buy to make it play a different sound or song?

I know this has been asked before but a search only turned up people saying mod chips were available to buy but no links (theyd be old links anyway).
I looked and cant find anything.

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 03-08-2018).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Bump

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2018 08:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BumpSend a Private Message to BumpEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Give this a read. Long but might just be what you are looking for

Ogre's Fiero Cave

crap... link didnt work....

go to the link
at the top of the page open the electrical drop down, then other systems, then chime unit

[This message has been edited by Bump (edited 03-08-2018).]

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 572
Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2018 08:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
See my Cave, Chime Unit
Cover pin out, defects and how to stop chime for seat belt.

Adding other big mods is harder then many think.
If done wrong then can "chime" at wrong times or short out circuits feeding it as inputs.

You should understand all inputs for a given car and that requires data from Fiero SM or ALLData. Don't trust Haynes etc.

Note/Warning:
Voice "chimes" sound good until you own or work on cars w/ that "feature."
"The/A Door is ajar" etc haunt many people even now after Chrysler's had this 30+ years ago. Likely some just reading that will give them nightmares tonight.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBFdvJwl8T8 and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIpfUuRg1VE are the Digital male voice but there was a female voice in some cars like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hJBko3-oV4 but is made analog like many toys at the time...

Long "chimes" quickly wear out like many long ring tones on phones. Even if their funny or whatever to you can cause problems at work etc.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 03-08-2018).]

wgpierce

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2018 07:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wgpierceSend a Private Message to wgpierceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had a Nissan Maxima once that had a voice box in it, but I can't remember what it said. I do recall that inside the box was actually a little plastic record player that made the voice, it wasn't electronic. I thought that was pretty neat at the time. I think that was an 83ish wagon? Highly doubtful but maybe you could find one and wire it into the chime

wgpierce

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2018 07:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wgpierceSend a Private Message to wgpierceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

wgpierce

376 posts
Member since Aug 2016
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2018 11:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The tones are basically made by simple R-C (resistor-capacitor) circuits. You can change the pitch or speed of the tones by varying either the resistance or the capacitance of the components.
In my first Fiero, I changed one of the "ding-ding-ding" chimes to more like a "bong... bong... bong..." Think I used resistors.
Haven't bothered with any of the newer Fieros, though.
jetsnvettes2000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2018 04:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jetsnvettes2000Send a Private Message to jetsnvettes2000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by jetsnvettes2000 (edited 03-11-2018).]

Blitz54

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2018 06:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Blitz54Send a Private Message to Blitz54Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Man I love this forum. I was just wondering the same thing. I saw a video on facebook where the guy had some Volvo playing Toto's Africa when he put the key in and door open.
jetsnvettes2000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2018 09:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jetsnvettes2000Send a Private Message to jetsnvettes2000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Blitz54:

Man I love this forum. I was just wondering the same thing. I saw a video on facebook where the guy had some Volvo playing Toto's Africa when he put the key in and door open.

I tried to post that above but had to delete it due to linking to my profile without logging in yikes!!
cvxjet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2018 11:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by wgpierce:

I had a Nissan Maxima once that had a voice box in it, but I can't remember what it said. I do recall that inside the box was actually a little plastic record player that made the voice, it wasn't electronic. I thought that was pretty neat at the time. I think that was an 83ish wagon? Highly doubtful but maybe you could find one and wire it into the chime

I just watched a video on youtube showing the inside of the phonograph dealio; Look up "early 80s datsun nissan phonograph unit"....absolutely flabbergasting!

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2018 12:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
PFF
System Bot
copperhens

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2018 04:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for copperhensSend a Private Message to copperhensEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That’s where the ding comes from! I’ve never been able to pinpoint it haha.
LornesGT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2018 06:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LornesGTSend a Private Message to LornesGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I want to eventually have “I am gasoline” play when I start the car. Don’t know who sings it but heard the song on overhaulin a few times.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 572
Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2018 04:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
GM and others chime box are made by Lectron (now owned by Eaton) and patent # on them.
just run those # at USPTO Google and others to see how they work.
https://patents.google.com/patent/US4193060A/en
https://patents.google.com/patent/US4183278A/en
etc

Some resistors can likely change sound or volume but mess up can fry the thing.
ETA-->Note: 3060 Patent data doesn't have all pins for Fiero 8 pin box. Fiero add Parking Level Warning pin to the others. I think they just "splice" Light and Parking Brake inside the box. (You would need full diagram for the Fiero box.)
Full Chime List from FSM:
Fast Pulsed Chime: Lights On
Fast Pulsed Chime: Parking Brake On
Fast Chime: Key Warning
Slow Chime: Seatbelt Warning
<edit ends>

Many newer cars w/o BCM have minor changes/upgrades but many work the same. Lectron made Ford chimes too.
Lectron made 90's Saturn chimes... have a "sound chip" but won't fit in Fiero w/o new plug.
https://patents.google.com/patent/US5633625

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 03-14-2018).]

f85gtron

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2018 05:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for f85gtronSend a Private Message to f85gtronEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

I WANT ONE!
mmeyer86gt/gtp

Feedback score:    (161)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 73
Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2018 12:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mmeyer86gt/gtpSend a Private Message to mmeyer86gt/gtpEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
ive been working on something like this on and off for about 10 years.

IN the IRM catalog they had a talking dingythingy i want one sooooo bad cant find any info on the company that made them back in the day.
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2018 01:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cvxjet:

I just watched a video on youtube showing the inside of the phonograph dealio; Look up "early 80s datsun nissan phonograph unit"....absolutely flabbergasting!

Autoweek article:
http://autoweek.com/article...voice-warning-system

Others:
http://moneyinc.com/talking-cars-of-the-80s/

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 03-16-2018).]

fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2018 01:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

fierosound

15183 posts
Member since Nov 1999

Originally posted by mmeyer86gt/gtp:

ive been working on something like this on and off for about 10 years.

IN the IRM catalog they had a talking dingythingy i want one sooooo bad cant find any info on the company that made them back in the day.

In the GM lineup Oldsmobile had them on a few models. PN 22520749
One of these may be the easiest to adapt by repinning - if you can find one.
https://classicoldsmobile.c...part-22520749-a.html

Wiring for the 24-function Chrysler modules
http://www.stanwatkins.com/eva/spsyn.htm

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 03-16-2018).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay