How to remove the oil pressure sending unit from an 84 by longjonsilver
Started on: 07-10-2018 01:07 PM
Replies: 5 (602 views)
Last post by: longjonsilver on 07-11-2018 04:24 PM
longjonsilver

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2018 01:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for longjonsilverClick Here to visit longjonsilver's HomePageSend a Private Message to longjonsilverEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i replaced my gauges with the rally gauges and 120mph speedo units in my dash, but i need to install the oil pressure sender from a GT. Question: how do i remove the oil pressure sending unit from my duke? There doesn't seem to be any place to put a wrench and the vice grips wouldn't hold. Any ideas? Question 2: the electrical attachment seems to be the same. Is it?
thanks
jon
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2018 02:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You need an oil pressure switch socket, like Lisle 13250

The connectors are the same 84-87, 88 sending units used a different connector

Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2018 02:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
84 is special....

longjonsilver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2018 05:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for longjonsilverClick Here to visit longjonsilver's HomePageSend a Private Message to longjonsilverEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i got it out with a 1 1/16" deep socket. Not perfect, but it worked. i got this idea thanks to Gall757's excellent pic of the different oil pressure senders thru out the years. Thanks!

Problem, however, the sender i pulled off an 86 V6 GT has different threads than the one from my Duke. So tomorrow i will go to the plumbing store and see if i can find an adaptor. Can't drive my Fiero tho, unless i want to work on it in the parking lot, and what if i have problems? The electrical connector is exactly the same. i will have to see if the cars are wired the same however.
jon

------------------
I'm the original owner of a white ' 84 2M4 purchased Dec 10, 1983 from Pontiac. Always garaged, no rust, 4-wheel drifts are fun! 3800 SC swap to come!

[This message has been edited by longjonsilver (edited 07-10-2018).]

edfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2018 06:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for edfieroSend a Private Message to edfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I tried switching my 84 Duke to the 88 style because the stock style kept leaking through the sensor. But it wouldn't work. It caused the oil light to come on.

longjonsilver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2018 04:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for longjonsilverClick Here to visit longjonsilver's HomePageSend a Private Message to longjonsilverEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The guy at the hardware store (not the old guy that has been doing this since Noah came out of the ark) told me that they didn't have anything. Bee Ess . i bot a 1/4" male IP to 1/8" female IP brass bushing, teflon taped the threads and it appears to work fine. The oil pressure gage now registers a reasonable value, and the oil pressure light only comes on when starting. Now to fix the rest of my problems swapping in the 120mph speedo into my 84
jon

------------------
I'm the original owner of a white ' 84 2M4 purchased Dec 10, 1983 from Pontiac. Always garaged, no rust, 4-wheel drifts are fun! 3800 SC swap to come!

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock