key codes for ignition/door keys by sledcaddie
Started on: 05-20-2019 07:42 PM
Replies: 7 (276 views)
Last post by: sledcaddie on 05-24-2019 12:17 AM
sledcaddie

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2019 07:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sledcaddieSend a Private Message to sledcaddieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So, I'll try to give you the entire background on this. My buddy bought a 1988 GT new, just before they quit production. He drove it for a few years, off and on. It has been in storage now for the past 20 years. I've convinced him to get it out and get it running again, but he can't find the keys! A locksmith said he could cut new keys if he had a door lock, and the steering lock mechanism. This would be a very difficult route to take! If he is the only owner, shouldn't he be able to return to the dealer (which has changed ownership, but still is in business) with his VIN number, and they should have the original key codes? If the dealer didn't, wouldn't GM have records? I'm sure, over the years, others have bought Fiero's that didn't have keys. How was that resolved? I figure that this forum would have the best chance for solutions to this. Thanks for any help provided.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 464
Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2019 10:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
sledcaddie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2019 11:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sledcaddieSend a Private Message to sledcaddieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks, Patrick. The posting you offered was quite lengthy, and probably quite frustrating to experience. Many of the posts wrote of worn out keys being re-cut. He doesn't have ANY keys. Would the build sheet be in the springs of the Fiero driver's seat? Anyone else ever notice a location for their Fiero's build sheet? The key cutouts had numbers (like 5D-11) stamped on them that were listed in a catalog. The catalog listed the settings for the key cutter. All these steps were security measures to prevent the wrong people from acquiring keys for someone else's car. I guess we will start with the GM dealer and see what they have to offer.
viperine

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2019 11:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for viperineSend a Private Message to viperineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
RPO codes (build sheet) is on the driver inner fender as viewed under the hood, near the brake master cylinder/booster.

Try a big dealership and bring proof of ownership.

I would opt to replace the Ignition cylinder and door/trunk cylinders rather than have keys cut. You will be removing the ignition cylinder and ideally the trunk cylinders anyway, to either inspect cylinders for a stamped-on key code or disassembling the codes from the cylinder to determine key shape.

You can still buy coding parts if you have an existing key that is cut already, but you probably need to verify the cylinder being coded is for the same letter key (stamped B, C, D, H, maybe some others). Actual uncut key shape varies depending on this single letter code. I expect the cylinder needs the same.

I picked up a NOS ignition cylinder with key for about $20 shipped. A matching door/trunk set for a GT can probably be had around $60 or slightly more for NOS. GT locks are specific to GT's at least 86 to 88 because of the decklid lock.

Hope this helps.
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2019 11:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've had a GM dealer cut keys to codes, and a local locksmith do the same a few years ago. My ignition lock cylinder has been replaced, been meaning to figure out how to re-code one to match the original key code.

I got the codes years ago through Pontiac Historical Services with the build sheet, they probably still offer that service.

http://www.phs-online.com/index.html
sledcaddie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2019 08:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sledcaddieSend a Private Message to sledcaddieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Pontiac Historical Services only covers model years 1961-1986. I was told by PHS to contact GM Archives. Concerning key codes or build sheets: they replied:
"Question: Where are the Key Codes listed?
Answer: Due to potential security issues, effective September 20, 2006, the GM Media Archive will no longer be supplying Dealer Invoices or Build Sheets with Key Code information. This information can be obtained by contacting your dealer." I hope the dealer here can help. Otherwise, does the steering column have to be disassembled to remove the ignition lock cylinder?
viperine

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2019 11:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for viperineSend a Private Message to viperineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The column does need broken down some to get to the cylinder. You will need a steering wheel puller and a lock plate removal tool. Both can be rented at Auto parts chain stores.

Once those two are off, 3 black screws hold the turn signal switch assembly in place. A fourth black screw holds the turn signal stalk linkage to the switch as well. Unscrew the hazard flasher button from the outside of the column housing. Wiggle the circular switch assembly back towards you. Remove the torx screw securing the Ignition cylinder, and gently pull the warning buzzer switch out with care to remember how it is inserted.

I omitted a step or two that are plumb obvious once the steering wheel is removed.

Tasks that go deeper are the ones that are intimidating. But the ignition cylinder is not too bad to get to.
sledcaddie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2019 12:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sledcaddieSend a Private Message to sledcaddieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks, for the pointers on removing the ignition lock from the steering column.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock