Cooling System Draining by Penfiero3.4
Started on: 04-27-2020 02:22 PM
Replies: 9 (792 views)
Last post by: Penfiero3.4 on 05-02-2020 12:11 PM
Penfiero3.4

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2020 02:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Penfiero3.4Send a Private Message to Penfiero3.4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Drained cooling system by opening drains in the 2 ss metal coolant tubes under car (no problem; torx #30). Also opened rad drain; (not necessary and cannot catch the antifreeze). Total volume in bucket was 7 litres (6.2 Quarts), plus a little spillage, VS the 14 quarts capacity specified. Where is the block drain ? I installed the motor and do not recall any drain.
I replaced leaking water pump and refilled system with plain water to test. Water remained at thermostat level overnight. I want to make sure all the water is out before I fill with antifreeze.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2020 03:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ogre's Cave: Coolant draining and filling.
http://web.archive.org/web/...erocave/coolfill.htm

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

edfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2020 12:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for edfieroSend a Private Message to edfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've used compressed air in the thermostat opening to force coolant out of the heads and block in my Duke when I've needed to drain the system.
Penfiero3.4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2020 06:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Penfiero3.4Send a Private Message to Penfiero3.4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I got another litre out with compressed air. Per Ogre I will use straight antifreeze and test for concentration. Picture of underbody pipe drain port attached.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 571
Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2020 08:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
ENGINE Drain(s) are usually plugs low on block. Most I've seen are square drive that remove w/ ⅜" socket handle or short extension. Many are hard to find or access because many have other things over them.
Most people don't bother w/ then because can leak, break, etc.

Big reason is Engine should drain part way w/o bother finding those drains if there.
Engine and head(s) water should "Back flow" out of WP and drain to that level. WP doesn't have a check valve etc to stop this.

Do Not jack the car or parked noise down while draining. That keep coolant in lower pipes.

I drain P-side pipe w/ only T-cap off first. When flows stops remove R-cap. Then drain other side. That should get most w/o a mess.
Then drain rad... If can find rubber/plastic tube fits short R-drain might help directing flow but most times that will make a mess.
Could loosen clamps etc to mess w/ Heater loop to drain that part but big pain that may have problems.

If done that way, might suck coolant out of the overflow too. Regardless... Don't counting liters/quarts of drainage and think is an accurate value.

You need to 2 gal pure coolant in the system. You might get a system a little Coolant "rich" but better then have weak coolant trying to guess exact mix. (50% to 70% Coolant is ok for most brands.)
If you can't get 2 in now, Completely empty the overflow tank and put the rest in there. System Should purge left over air and hot coolant and suck coolant back when system is cool/cold again. This can take several to many heat cycles to mix the system so testing a tank or T-stat can give bogus results until both see same number. Good thing you have Months before cold weather to worry about.

Most OE pipe drains are "Allen" holes. Exact size I forget right now. "rust," undercoating, dirt, etc. can change size. You might get lucky w/ T30 etc but can strip the hole and make worse problems. Or maybe someone replace the original plugs.

I use Teflon paint pipe sealer on pipe plugs in plumbing section of whatever store handy and don't force tighten. Any Sealers act as lube and easy to over torque them. More so w/ small size parts.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 04-28-2020).]

Penfiero3.4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2020 07:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Penfiero3.4Send a Private Message to Penfiero3.4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The answer to my original question is the FIERO COOLING SYSTEM CANNOT BE TOTALLY DRAINED. About 40% (6 litres) will remain.
cebix

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2020 04:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cebixSend a Private Message to cebixEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My experience is that you also have a lot of coolant in the heater core lines that won't drain normally. I also thought it was 13 liters for the whole system? I think about 2 liters go to the overflow tank by itself to the FULL mark.

[This message has been edited by cebix (edited 04-29-2020).]

Lou6t4gto

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2020 07:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Question: you Already drained the system and installed a water pump.the plugs in the SS pipes are the lower drain point, and you already pulled them. ***what you will re-install will be a 50/50 mix of antifreeze and WATER.** Why is it so important to get ALL the Water OUT when you will be putting more Water back in on the re-fill ??

[This message has been edited by Lou6t4gto (edited 04-29-2020).]

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 571
Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2020 08:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Penfiero3.4:
The answer to my original question is the FIERO COOLING SYSTEM CANNOT BE TOTALLY DRAINED. About 40% (6 litres) will remain.
Maybe in you case, not in others and more so w/ other engine like the l4. I been doing this job for decades and easily get most to all of 2 gallon in the system, more so on l4 Fiero. Dump any leftover pure coolant in the overflow tank.

If you have a lot of left over... Just don't stuff the tank all at once. Air and maybe Hot Water/Coolant can push to overflow the tank and dump coolant on the floor/ground.

The radiator and likely other places Will have air in them no matter how you fill or even use whatever "burping" method until the system has seen enough heat cycled to drive out that air. That will mess up your counted liters/quarts for draining after your test.

If the Rad Cap, Overflow tube, or other parts are "bad" can leak Air in or out of the radiator w/o leaking coolant and never get system to purge and have more problems.
Penfiero3.4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2020 12:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Penfiero3.4Send a Private Message to Penfiero3.4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock