Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Is there supposed to be an oring in the 2.5 block where the water pump goes?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Is there supposed to be an oring in the 2.5 block where the water pump goes? by cebix
Started on: 10-13-2020 03:34 PM
Replies: 6 (135 views)
Last post by: cebix on 10-14-2020 02:09 AM
cebix

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2020 03:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cebixSend a Private Message to cebixEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
'85 duke auto with AC.

Been chasing my overheating problem since forever and there seems to be a place for an oring inside the block element where the water pump attaches. But it doesn't seam to seal anything. Has anybody any idea what is it doing there and should it be there? No photo unfortunately... Hoping someone who did the job recently can remember. Can't find any on the internet too, here's a diagram where it sits:

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2020 04:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I found this picture online of the water pump where the coolant inlet attaches.
There doesn't appear to any groove for an O-ring, and the diagram says to use a bead of RTV on Part #5 to seal (Note 7)
But some replacement pumps come with a gasket for that location.

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 10-13-2020).]

cebix

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2020 04:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cebixSend a Private Message to cebixEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think it's not the right pump in the picture and the oring is on the propeller side right in the block. Looking for a pic still.

Edit: Wait, I see you changed the picture. From the looks of it the oring should be inside the housing you posted like you can almost see it through the hole in the pic. I bought 3 pumps through the years and they came without this housing, but pretty sure they bolt right to the block.

This is what a 2.5 water pump looks like:

Edit2: Sorry, it seems you have the right picture and the pump indeed attaches to a housing. It's between this housing and the pump where the oring groove is.

[This message has been edited by cebix (edited 10-13-2020).]

fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2020 04:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
None of the new Fiero pumps come with an O-ring...

cebix

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2020 04:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cebixSend a Private Message to cebixEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes, none of them did. However I still remember a distinctive groove there where I drew it and I'm wondering if anybody recalls something like that. Still can't find a picture that shows it directly.

Edit: Found this video where this guy pulls out the pump at 1:17. The hole, where the water runs out has an oring type groove inside. Can't see it though in this video either.
https://youtu.be/7zYS_l6WATs

The hole is better shown at the 3:00 mark like you can barely see inside it - that's where that groove is.

[This message has been edited by cebix (edited 10-13-2020).]

fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2020 09:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cebix:

The hole, where the water runs out has an oring type groove inside.

Isn't the "groove" you're seeing just the join between this housing and the water inlet pipe on the back?
That's what you are pointing at from both sides.

cebix

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2020 02:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cebixSend a Private Message to cebixEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think it was more like inside the housing. Like didn't seem to seal anything. I remember there being some remnants of an oring or RTV when I replaced the pump the first time years go and it dawned on me yesterday so I decided to post a topic since I could not find anything on the internet. I regret not taking a photo now...

Question is if some previous owner put it there or was it original and neeeded for the cooling to work properly.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock