Best fiero Headlight replacements by Squall86GT
Started on: 11-13-2020 03:14 PM
Replies: 9 (517 views)
Last post by: theogre on 11-15-2020 03:03 AM
Squall86GT

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2020 03:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Squall86GTSend a Private Message to Squall86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I’m looking to replace the old halogens with something more modern without it looking like it doesn’t belong on the car. Some of the new LED lights just look like a bunch of little LED lights in a grid and I think that looks tacky. Has anybody found any modern lights that are clear and bright and look like they work well with the car?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2020 04:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No such thing as "best" because it's all relative...

Lots of people like the Truck-light halogen headlamps.
https://www.truck-lite.com/27009.html

I replaced my sealed beams with Hella glass and GE Nighthawk H4 halogen bulbs.
https://classicgarage.com/he-72206b.html

You can find Hella H4 headlamps in some Jeeps in wrecking yards.

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 11-14-2020).]

Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2020 08:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I feel exactly the same way. I do not like the muti-dot lights. BUT I want better lights.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 572
Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2020 12:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes, is no "Best HL" for anything. Even many New vehicles w/ "bright" HL don't perform as many would think.
Many Aftermarket "DOT legal" bulbs have lawsuits for crap lighting and short life including "big names" like Osram/Sylvania.
IIHS have tested several new cars and trunks and found problems too. Many modern HL barely Pass FMVSS rules because many car makers spend absolute minimum to design and make HL assembles even on many "luxury" models.

For Fiero and many others... Most "new" halogens are brighter and hotter because eats more power. Including Sealed Beam SilverStar and many others pulls more power.
Many "old" cars can barely handle OEM 35/60w halogens w/o problems. Worse problems after 5 - 10 years of driving in many places...

So "Dim" OEM Halogens HL is not the bulbs many times but wiring problems. Install new hot bulbs may seem to work while make wiring problems worse.
See my Cave, Headlights

If you or Prev Owner already have used SilverStar etc... These bulbs don't last long to start, only rated a few hundred of hours, and make more/worse electrical problems.
Short lifetime is/was on sylvania FAQ but seem data it moved again. Others use FAQ etc to buried short lifetime too and not listed w/ other spec's for a bulb.

Even if you ignore most LED are crap... DOT Legal LED from GE Trucklite etc have problems and many don't last as ad's say.
IOW Even if you buy high $ Trucklite LED, electrical issues/problems in a vehicle can quickly kill them and makers can void any warranty blaming the car.
Plus most HL Buckets don't let air flow to back of "bulb" to cool the LED. Backs are heat sinks for LED.

Note: If you flip HL to change them in cave... Carefully watch the front "flap" hitting the hood... the "flap" can break/cut the bumpers the door hit when closed.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

Wichita

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 326
Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2020 12:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WichitaSend a Private Message to WichitaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Anyone checked out the Fiero Store offering on headlights?

pmbrunelle

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 63
Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2020 01:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have Hella sealed beam conversion units.

Hella PN: 003427291

The Hellas light up the road adequately, though they're not bright like new stuff. The lamps aren't blinding.

I find that most white/blue headights (i.e. HID or LED) are blinding. Doesn't matter if it's factory or ricer conversion. Ford F-150 and Toyota Corolla are particularly awful. Choosing to drive one of these vehicles at night is not nice to other road users.

If 3200 K halogens aren't bright enough for you to see at night, it might be time to stop driving when it's dark.
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 329
Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2020 08:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
X2 on the truck light replacements. They are far brighter, are D.O.T. approved, look great, provide good angular coverage and use std replacement Halogen bulbs.
Some will favor the new LED headlights but IMO the quality of those is too widespread. . I've seen some that are really good and others that are really bad. Some are just bright enough while others are just too bright. The light coverage angle can also be called into question. Few are D.O.T. legal and should you be involved in a night time accident brand X imported parts may cause insurance companies to deny coverage. If you can pass inspection (in some states) for a show/hobby/collector car you may get away with using them.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

Larryinkc

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2020 10:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LarryinkcSend a Private Message to LarryinkcEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have Hella 4 x 6 headlamps with H4 bulbs, they have a great pattern and are very bright. Another benefit of the 4 x 6 headlamps is they don't raise the doors as high and look much better to me. I did Tony Kanias low profile headlight mod and it has been trouble free for several years.

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/085387.html

Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 329
Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2020 08:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Larryinkc:

I have Hella 4 x 6 headlamps with H4 bulbs, they have a great pattern and are very bright. Another benefit of the 4 x 6 headlamps is they don't raise the doors as high and look much better to me. I did Tony Kanias low profile headlight mod and it has been trouble free for several years.

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/085387.html

The low profile headlights do look very nice but my Fiero is a hobby car and rarely driven at night. If it is, a short ride back from a car show or cruise night is all the headlight time that it sees. Just can't justify this mod.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 572
Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2020 03:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Wichita:
Anyone checked out the Fiero Store offering on headlights?
You mean removable "H4 bulbs?"
Are crap and illegal no matter how TFS tries to spin them otherwise while hind behind "check local laws"
"Upgrade" Lens/shells are not DOT Legal. Seen several TFS sets over years and no markings require by DOT/NHTSA to start w/.
Any halogen bulbs > 55w low and/or 65w high are illegal in US and some other countries.

You can get DOT Legal "H4" types known as HB2 from Trucklite (27009) and others at good prices.
Trucklite has(had?) Legal EU and UK sets too. (Can't find halogens right now. Only high $ LED w/ ECE right and left hand sets.)

But note that all or nearly so 55/65 bulbs have short lifetimes. Get spare bulbs to replace them w/ stores closed at night. More so if you drive at night or in crap weather often.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock