TWO UNKNOWNS... by eti engineer
Started on: 06-15-2021 02:43 PM
Replies: 13 (346 views)
Last post by: Will on 06-16-2021 07:20 AM
eti engineer

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2021 02:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for eti engineerSend a Private Message to eti engineerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
As most of you know, I have had my Fiero out of commission for some time. I am finally putting the engine back together. I thought I had taken enough pictures of everything to ensure I was putting everything back together in the same manner it came apart. So far, things have gone well.

The company that put my engine together apparently didn't put all the external hardware back in the block and one head. I have two threaded holes for which I don't have pictures. i need help in identifying these. The first one, I would assume is for the oil pressure sensor since it is located next to the oil filter. I apparently need to order one of these.

The second threaded hole is in the front head of the engine when it is installed. The same hole in the rear head has a plug in it. Rather than my spending a lot of time researching this, I thought I would ask in here, since there is a ton or two of knowledge here. BTW, the car is a 1988.

Thanks in advance for any help.

[This message has been edited by eti engineer (edited 06-15-2021).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Will

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2021 03:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Since your engine is an '88, you should have a tubular part that installs to that hole by the filter and puts the oil pressure sender up near the belt where you can access it for replacement from the top rather than having to get under the car to do it. Not sure what that says about what GM thought of their oil pressure senders...

The second photo is the location for the coolant temp sensor, but it should be on the rear head on the driver's side... so they put the heads on the "wrong" bank. Just swap the plug from the "rear" head to the "front" head.... use teflon tape to seal the threads.

Are you re-doing the wiring? There's also a three wire CTS that can drive your dash gauge as well. That means you only need one sensor instead of two and your gauge and computer are reading from the same point on the engine.

[This message has been edited by Will (edited 06-15-2021).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 464
Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2021 03:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Will:

Since your engine is an '88, you should have a tubular part that installs to that hole by the filter and puts the oil pressure sender up near the belt where you can access it for replacement from the top rather than having to get under the car to do it.

Will, was it just the earlier years then where relocation of the oil pressure sender was based on whether or not the car had A/C?
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 572
Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2021 04:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
OP sender...
See my Cave, Oil Sensor for TSB covering this.
Basically Use standard ⅛" and ¼" pipe fitting to move it so rain etc can get to the plug.
Mertipack plugs are better the most but seals will let water in when constantly get soaked.

other likely part of heater loop.
See my Cave, Heater
I have little data for 88 V6 so don't know if uses meter output port.
Should be an output to heater core.
Standard metal hose barb w/ pipe threads on other side would works but soften shape edges on the barb side or can cut thru the rubber hose.

But Note If heater flows too much coolant... can cause radiator and t-stant "problems."
IF has to restrict flow, pull the barb and braise a washer in the barb. Solder may fail over time because big heat cycles can crack many solders.

OE T-stat can be a "problem" too even w/o that. See my Cave, Thermostat

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2021 06:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

Will, was it just the earlier years then where relocation of the oil pressure sender was based on whether or not the car had A/C?

Did cars without A/C have the sender down by the filter?
Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2021 06:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Will

14244 posts
Member since Jun 2000

Originally posted by theogre:

other likely part of heater loop.
See my Cave, Heater
I have little data for 88 V6 so don't know if uses meter output port.
Should be an output to heater core.
Standard metal hose barb w/ pipe threads on other side would works but soften shape edges on the barb side or can cut thru the rubber hose.

But Note If heater flows too much coolant... can cause radiator and t-stant "problems."
IF has to restrict flow, pull the barb and braise a washer in the barb. Solder may fail over time because big heat cycles can crack many solders.

OE T-stat can be a "problem" too even w/o that. See my Cave, Thermostat

The corner of the head is definitely the CTS. It is not the heater.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2021 06:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Did cars without A/C have the sender down by the filter?

I believe so.

cvxjet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2021 06:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My 85 SE V6 (AC-less) had the oil pressure sensor mounted down by the oil filter.
eti engineer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2021 06:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for eti engineerSend a Private Message to eti engineerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I believe so.

So should I just plug this opening? My car has AC. I think that when they hot tanked the block they left a few things out after rebuilding. I didn't notice that the opening by the oil filter was open until I spun the oil pump with a drill to check and see if everything was lubing as it should. Next thing I know, I had oil on the garage floor.

Thanks for the comeback...
eti engineer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2021 07:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for eti engineerSend a Private Message to eti engineerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

eti engineer

274 posts
Member since Mar 2017

The corner of the head is definitely the CTS. It is not the heater.

Thanks. I thought that it was, but wasn't sure. My car is an '88 with AC, but I am not even going to re-install the compressor. I will leave the lines intact and plugged, but here in CA, with little to no humidity, there is no need for it with the T-tops off. I thought that they had put the heads on opposite sides from where they were before. I didn't see where it would matter as long as I can re-route the wiring for the temp sensor. Do you know where the fan switch is located?

eti engineer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2021 07:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for eti engineerSend a Private Message to eti engineerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

eti engineer

274 posts
Member since Mar 2017

Since your engine is an '88, you should have a tubular part that installs to that hole by the filter and puts the oil pressure sender up near the belt where you can access it for replacement from the top rather than having to get under the car to do it. Not sure what that says about what GM thought of their oil pressure senders...

The second photo is the location for the coolant temp sensor, but it should be on the rear head on the driver's side... so they put the heads on the "wrong" bank. Just swap the plug from the "rear" head to the "front" head.... use teflon tape to seal the threads.

Are you re-doing the wiring? There's also a three wire CTS that can drive your dash gauge as well. That means you only need one sensor instead of two and your gauge and computer are reading from the same point on the engine.

Got it. I made a mistake. I thought I was supposed to move the sensor to the other head, but it only makes sense to pull the plug from the other head and move it. DUH!!!! I sometimes need to hear things twice before I get it. Hey!!! I'm 71!!! Give me a break!!! (LOL)
PFF
System Bot
eti engineer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2021 07:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for eti engineerSend a Private Message to eti engineerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

eti engineer

274 posts
Member since Mar 2017

Got it. I made a mistake. I thought I was supposed to move the sensor to the other head, but it only makes sense to pull the plug from the other head and move it. DUH!!!! I sometimes need to hear things twice before I get it. Hey!!! I'm 71!!! Give me a break!!! (LOL) I have ordered all new sensors from the Fiero Store. They should be here in a couple of days...
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2021 07:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by eti engineer:

So should I just plug this opening? My car has AC.

Well no... you still need to make use of that port for your oil pressure sender. It seems that you now appear to be missing the piece(s) mentioned by Will.

you should have a tubular part that installs to that hole by the filter and puts the oil pressure sender up near the belt...

Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2021 07:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Well no... you still need to make use of that port for your oil pressure sender. It seems that you now appear to be missing the piece(s) mentioned by Will.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Will:

you should have a tubular part that installs to that hole by the filter and puts the oil pressure sender up near the belt...

[/QUOTE]

Depending on whether OP or the shop took it out, it may be difficult to recover.

I *think* have the one that came off my '87 engine when I first did the Northstar swap. Send me a PM this weekend and I'll snag a pic.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock