"New" Fiero Engine Identification Help by Zanrith
Started on: 10-24-2021 08:02 PM
Replies: 8 (326 views)
Last post by: Zanrith on 11-01-2021 09:38 AM
Zanrith

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2021 08:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ZanrithClick Here to visit Zanrith's HomePageSend a Private Message to ZanrithEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hello everyone, first off I love this forum so much great information so far. I recently picked up a 1986 Fiero GT and from all the stories from the PO I am the third owner. It needs some love but the car is solid and it really moves. A week after purchasing this vehicle the PO tells me that the engine was swapped out in 2012 and at that point the 2.8L was no longer being re-manufactued and that the engine is either a 3.1L or 3.4L. Well here I am working on the engine and cleaning and I've spent about and hour under the car looking for any markings on the engine that might help me identify it and I am out of ideas. So here I am asking for the experts help on identifying the engine. Under the engine on the rear of the engine I find the Markings 820R 22 and on the front of the engine 820L 19 these are the markings I can find under the engine without taking anything off. As for the top end it looks like stock Fiero intake but I saw that these can be mounted to several different engines. Any help would be appreciated.

------------------
1986 Fiero GT with a rebuilt Jasper Engine.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2021 09:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If it was the typical Camarobird 3.4 (which is the favored source for 3.4s to transplant), it would have an F, inside a rectangle, cast into the sides of the block.

There should be a boss, cast into the side of the block, just above the pan rail, on the "trunk side" of the block. If it has that boss (which should have a threaded hole, but may or may not also be drilled for a crank sensor) it's at least an 88 block.
Also, a 3.4 will likely have a plug in the top of the block, just above the timing cover, designed for a cam sensor. Don't think any 3.1s used a cam sensor.
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2021 10:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm wondering if they simply bored the 2.8.
PhatMax

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2021 10:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PhatMaxSend a Private Message to PhatMaxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My 2.8 has this on it…
Zanrith

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2021 10:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ZanrithClick Here to visit Zanrith's HomePageSend a Private Message to ZanrithEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by PhatMax:

My 2.8 has this on it…

Awesome thanks. It looks like I need to snake my way up the front of the engine further and see if that GM 2.8 is stamped up there.
eti engineer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2021 01:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for eti engineerSend a Private Message to eti engineerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by IMSA GT:

I'm wondering if they simply bored the 2.8.

I asked my engine builder if they could bore the 2.8 out to a 3.4. He told me he could bore possibly to a 3.1, but couldn't take it further. I know he bored my 2.8, but I don't know how far out he took it. I told him not to go wild with it and keep it so it would pass CA smog bullcrap. He guaranteed me it would. Too bad his guy screwed up my rear crankshaft seal. The engine runs fine, otherwise, much better than it did before. I can't wait to get this thing back on the road for real.
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2021 08:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The 3.4 will have an angle where the Fiero starter is mounted and the F as Raydsr indicates. The 3.1 will have a flat surface where the starter mounts. I believe my 3.1 Lumina APV engine also has a crankshaft sensor in the trunk side of the block as does my 3.4.

According to Aerodonsmic (RIP) the 2.8 can be bored and stroked to a 3.1 and the same with a 3.1 to bring it near a 3.4.
Notorio

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2021 11:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NotorioSend a Private Message to NotorioEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Z, the 3.4 Pushrod block from the Camaro/Firebird should have x-shaped raised webbing on the block for strengthening (see picture below.) Also, it should have starter mounting holes on both sides of the block (one side was original and the Fiero location side is drilled into the block by the engine swapper.

Zanrith

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2021 09:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ZanrithClick Here to visit Zanrith's HomePageSend a Private Message to ZanrithEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thank you everyone! I was able to find 2.8L stamped on the block just above where the oil filter is located. I now have a block "code" as well. I am not sure what help that will be in the future but at least I have the information now. My numbers exactly match what PhatMax shows in his pictures. Thanks again! with this information I was able to put the correct filter and oil in the car. I also replaced the belts on the car as I noticed they were at the end of the adjustment slide and I figured while I was under there I would take care of it before the weather in NY gets any worse.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock