Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  87 Fiero - When cold, shifter won't move side to side (for 3rd, 4th, 5th or Reverse)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
87 Fiero - When cold, shifter won't move side to side (for 3rd, 4th, 5th or Reverse) by bthomas67wagon
Started on: 01-31-2022 07:45 AM
Replies: 7 (226 views)
Last post by: Patrick on 02-26-2022 07:44 PM
bthomas67wagon

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2022 07:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bthomas67wagonSend a Private Message to bthomas67wagonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This seems like a weird silly thing that started happening when it got cold out. I can shift into 1st and down into 2nd, but the shifter won't go side to side, UNLESS I turn on the heater for 5-10 mins and then everything is okay.
I took the console apart and couldn't see anything binding.
Cable binding when cold?
Something needing warmed up in engine bay?

Strange!!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 464
Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2022 11:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by bthomas67wagon:

...the shifter won't go side to side, UNLESS I turn on the heater for 5-10 mins and then everything is okay.

The heater being turned on may've made you feel more comfortable, but it had no bearing on the issue.

Temperature dropped - Getrag select cable frozen in place

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 01-31-2022).]

fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2022 12:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The cable runs near the exhaust downpipe and coolant hose. The heat from them thaws the cable as they warm it. Eventually the water inside the cable will cause it to fray and lock up.
bthomas67wagon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2022 12:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bthomas67wagonSend a Private Message to bthomas67wagonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
HA!! That is interesting!!
Seems like it's not just me that has had this issue then.
Thanks!!
bthomas67wagon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2022 03:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bthomas67wagonSend a Private Message to bthomas67wagonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Question, Being able to get over to 2nd and 3rd is hit or miss.

Sounds like I need a new Select Cable? ($99)
URL: http://rodneydickman.com/pr...o.php?products_id=37

Is this correct?
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2022 04:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The select cable is the one for side to side. The one you're having the problem with freezing up. Make note of its routing. Take pictures before removing and replacing it. Notice the rubber accordian boot on the end of the select cable. The absense of this boot on the factory cable is why we have the problem you are having. Rodney has addressed that. And Yes, you aren't the only one who's had that problem.

Once it's replaced, it might be necessary to readjust the shift (front to rear movement) cable. That can be addressed when the time comes. The select cable has no adjustment.
bthomas67wagon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2022 05:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bthomas67wagonSend a Private Message to bthomas67wagonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I spent a couple hours today and replaced the select cable. (not too bad of a install)

Once I got the old cable removed, it seems to be fully functional and smoothly moving. The heat shield on the old cable was very stiff. IDK if it was just frozen, but the cable seemed fine.

Before I throw the old cable in the trash, can anyone use it for anything?
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 464
Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2022 07:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by bthomas67wagon:

Once I got the old cable removed, it seems to be fully functional and smoothly moving. The heat shield on the old cable was very stiff. IDK if it was just frozen, but the cable seemed fine.

Well, the select cable being frozen in place is exactly what I had reported Here.

A cable that's worn and/or frayed internally will also move relatively easily when it's not attached to anything.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock