AC question by Rhodesia1977
Started on: 04-07-2022 03:10 PM
Replies: 11 (247 views)
Last post by: Rhodesia1977 on 04-09-2022 09:37 PM
Rhodesia1977

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2022 03:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rhodesia1977Send a Private Message to Rhodesia1977Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have an 86 GT. I travel a lot with it and therefore pack a lot in it. I have AC but since I am in Michigan, I never use it. My question is can I remove the AC portion in the front compartment to create a little more storage room? Will it have any negative effects if I do so? Thank you.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
steve308

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 57
Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2022 05:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for steve308Send a Private Message to steve308Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
One day you will need it or will want to sell the car and will be sorry you removed any of the components. The amount of additional packing room would be minimal.
skywurz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2022 08:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skywurzClick Here to visit skywurz's HomePageSend a Private Message to skywurzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by steve308:

One day you will need it or will want to sell the car and will be sorry you removed any of the components. The amount of additional packing room would be minimal.

I second this. The amount of extra room you get is not going to be much. you would have more gains pulling the jack and spare or passengers seat. if you already did that perhaps get a luggage bag that is made to go on the roof and strap it to the trunk.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 572
Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2022 08:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Removing 1 or a few AC parts won't store more. Even Fiero w/o AC and sunroof options barely stores two 1 gallon bottles.
Roof storage shelf just hinds heater and brake booster.

Front area isn't meant to store anything other then spare and jack.
All Front space is part of Fiero Crush Zone. Anything put in there can be problems during or after a wreck and why the tire and jack is "bolted down." Youtube shows Fiero crash testing...

You + passenger + Loading w/ whatever often creates problems because Very Easy to Overload a Fiero.
That Problem, At Minimum, Eats more Fuel and takes more Driver Effort to Stop. Even then can take Longer to Stop.

Fiero GVWR is setup to include two 190lb people and ~ 100lb cargo. (Most other cars GVWR is ~ 190lb adult per seat + ~ 100lb Cargo unless NHTSA recently change that formula and that only cars build under new rules.)
You can safety change What is carried but not Total Weight of the mix.

Some remove spare tires and get "Fix a Flat" types instead... But most don't know FaF only works in a very small set of flat tire cases and often won't work in cold weather. Many Tire Stores will not repair a FaF tire, only replace them. If you have paid "Hazard Insurance" for the tires, that may Void the contract.

Related note: Many Fiero have truck "luggage" rack but mainly use only for light bulky stuff to get somewhere local.
Having things there can mess up air flow thru the engine vents even if doesn't cover them cooking many parts.
Rack load points won't take a lot to pull thru the lid as is, more so when wrecked anywhere on the car. IOW Heavy objects attach to this can turn Ballistic very easy.

Cops mostly don't stop overloaded/overweight cars but after a wreck can have huge problems w/ Insurance and more.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2022 09:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Last year I made a trip from Atlanta to Millinocket, Maine and back. I removed the spare up front and packed luggage up there, as well as luggage and a folding chair in the rear. I've never put the spare back in the car. Even with the spare, if we have a flat and have things in the rear trunk, our standard size tire won't fit into the front compartment. Just bite the bullet and get road service.
theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2022 11:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierofool:
Even with the spare, if we have a flat and have things in the rear trunk, our standard size tire won't fit into the front compartment. Just bite the bullet and get road service.
I have a luggage rack but know that is a problem too.

As to road service... "call" Car Insurance... Many will add that for a very few dollar per 6 month. While many pay I-co monthly, most Policies are 6 Months.
If you can't "call" them to tow etc first, many will reimburse w/ receipts day to even years later. Road Service is not counted ageist you. (I lost a receipt, found 2+ years later, took to an Agent, they call to make sure has tow service at the time then wrote a check.)

Note: AAA and many others Do Not own service trucks in most places. Many areas they don't even contracts w/ local tow operations.
Many contacts have only 1 or 2 tow trucks and doesn't have parts on them to fix anything. Even then can wait many hours at any time of day.
Rhodesia1977

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2022 08:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rhodesia1977Send a Private Message to Rhodesia1977Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by theogre:

Removing 1 or a few AC parts won't store more. Even Fiero w/o AC and sunroof options barely stores two 1 gallon bottles.
Roof storage shelf just hinds heater and brake booster.

Front area isn't meant to store anything other then spare and jack.
All Front space is part of Fiero Crush Zone. Anything put in there can be problems during or after a wreck and why the tire and jack is "bolted down." Youtube shows Fiero crash testing...

You + passenger + Loading w/ whatever often creates problems because Very Easy to Overload a Fiero.
That Problem, At Minimum, Eats more Fuel and takes more Driver Effort to Stop. Even then can take Longer to Stop.

Fiero GVWR is setup to include two 190lb people and ~ 100lb cargo. (Most other cars GVWR is ~ 190lb adult per seat + ~ 100lb Cargo unless NHTSA recently change that formula and that only cars build under new rules.)
You can safety change What is carried but not Total Weight of the mix.

Some remove spare tires and get "Fix a Flat" types instead... But most don't know FaF only works in a very small set of flat tire cases and often won't work in cold weather. Many Tire Stores will not repair a FaF tire, only replace them. If you have paid "Hazard Insurance" for the tires, that may Void the contract.

Related note: Many Fiero have truck "luggage" rack but mainly use only for light bulky stuff to get somewhere local.
Having things there can mess up air flow thru the engine vents even if doesn't cover them cooking many parts.
Rack load points won't take a lot to pull thru the lid as is, more so when wrecked anywhere on the car. IOW Heavy objects attach to this can turn Ballistic very easy.

Cops mostly don't stop overloaded/overweight cars but after a wreck can have huge problems w/ Insurance and more.

Thanks for the replies everyone! I am in the military and I usually store my gear components in the frunk and the webbing usually gets snagged on the stupid AC crap in there. The AC doesn't work anyway. I was just thinking about removing it and putting it in storage along with the spare and jack (as I have a good road service plan from 2 different companies). Thanks everyone.

theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2022 08:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You can't remove much even then...
You still need the heater working so still need the blower and more intact.

Non working AC still has oil that leak out of any opening often for days and longer that stains. Worse if ever had dye to test for refer leaks.
Refer Oil can "eat" some plastics etc like motor and other oil/grease even after you clean them.

Things getting hooked can still be a problems. Maybe worse because ACC/Drier "can" may protect wiring around it.

Big things goes in/out often can make other things target of problems too. Example: Brake MC... Even just hitting the top loose and not notice fast can allow the brake fluid to get Super Wet in Hours. Why? See my Cave, Brake Fluid

Is likely part of why hood prop is on the left. Makes you remove the spare from other side. Wrecking the washer tank is bad but can drive w/o that...
da.slyboy

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2022 01:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for da.slyboySend a Private Message to da.slyboyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If just going to place the extra AC items in storage, why not just remove the passenger seat and use the side area as storage? It should give you a lot more room with less hassle than removing the AC items.
theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2022 03:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That can work only when whatever is not valuable.
Any real or fake Mil gear carried open to view is a target to steal in many places.
Parking to anywhere even for few minutes is enough to "smash & grab" thieves.

I take P-side seat out to take a large dog to vet...
You have to put something to "Shield" the studs so doesn't to damage to anything or the studs.
Even w/ shielding put nuts on the studs.
Studs get unhappy if anything hard hits the bare end and need to file or otherwise fix threads to mount the seat.

Even taking stuff for store to home on the seat I try very hard to keep everything below top of door.
Isn't just because want to see out and mirror in P-side but not advertising to everyone I went to the store.
steve308

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 57
Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2022 05:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for steve308Send a Private Message to steve308Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Build one of these
PFF
System Bot
Rhodesia1977

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2022 09:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rhodesia1977Send a Private Message to Rhodesia1977Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by theogre:

That can work only when whatever is not valuable.
Any real or fake Mil gear carried open to view is a target to steal in many places.
Parking to anywhere even for few minutes is enough to "smash & grab" thieves.

I take P-side seat out to take a large dog to vet...
You have to put something to "Shield" the studs so doesn't to damage to anything or the studs.
Even w/ shielding put nuts on the studs.
Studs get unhappy if anything hard hits the bare end and need to file or otherwise fix threads to mount the seat.

Even taking stuff for store to home on the seat I try very hard to keep everything below top of door.
Isn't just because want to see out and mirror in P-side but not advertising to everyone I went to the store.

Very true. A couple of years ago I stopped for chow and came back out to my truck and a couple of bags with gear were stolen. I learned that anything of value like that stays in the trunk, out of sight. As far as taking out the Pass seat, I don't think it would really make much more room. Sounds like it could be more trouble than it's worth. Interesting ideas, however!

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock