Information on 4 speed manual by glwalker04
Started on: 04-11-2022 05:33 PM
Replies: 8 (693 views)
Last post by: edfiero on 04-28-2022 10:26 AM
glwalker04

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2022 05:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for glwalker04Send a Private Message to glwalker04Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi all, I made this account just so I could post this question, I am in desperate need of some information on the transmission I have. I have the cheapo 1984 2M4 SE, this is my first ever project car and I'm still learning so if I make some obvious oversights that is why. My concern is that I cannot seem to find any information on the 4 speed manual in my car. I have tried everything I can think of. I looked up my car on a VIN decoder and it came up with nothing, I looked up the possible transmissions for my model and the only ones to come up are the Muncie 4-Speed (MY8) and the performance 4 speed Muncie with a higher gear ratio. I strongly doubt mine is the performance model, so I have been trying to find information on the Muncie 4 speed for the last 2 weeks with no luck. Even going to the manufacturer's website, Allison, doesn't give me anything. I am aware that I can try to look for the information plate on the transmission to find the serial number, but the transmission is caked in grease and I honestly have no idea where to look, especially on a transverse tranny. I need the information about the transmission so I can diagnose what is wrong with my clutch so any information is really valued. Any information about the spring assembly/slave cylinder would also be a huge help since I want to try to see if my clutch is spinning because there is too much pressure on the pressure plate.

Thank you
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 464
Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2022 06:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by glwalker04:

I want to try to see if my clutch is spinning because there is too much pressure on the pressure plate.

Not sure what you mean by "clutch is spinning"?

Why would you suspect "too much pressure on the pressure plate"?

Is this your first manual transmission?

Skybax

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 78
Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2022 06:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SkybaxSend a Private Message to SkybaxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's not the M17 or the M19 if its the MY8 economy at the top of the chart...

[This message has been edited by Skybax (edited 04-11-2022).]

olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 206
Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2022 07:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Raise the front decklid, on the driver side inner fender is a white sticker with the RPO codes.

You should see MY8 or M19.

The MY8 is the economy transmission, the M19 is the performance transmission with 4.10 to 1 final drive.

Most 84 manuals came with the M19.

[This message has been edited by olejoedad (edited 04-11-2022).]

Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2022 09:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welcome to the forum!

For an '84 Fiero, The word 'performance' should always have quotes around it..... Lots of helpful people here to answer your questions.
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 464
Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2022 05:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by glwalker04:

I made this account just so I could post this question...

One and done?
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 329
Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2022 11:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

One and done?

It could be that he just wants to take and not contribute..

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

XxdjxX89

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2022 09:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for XxdjxX89Send a Private Message to XxdjxX89Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sounds to me you probably have air in the slave cylinder ,,, look up proper way of bleeding Fiero clutch

I have taken 4 speeds apart so if you need to know anything just message me
edfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2022 10:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for edfieroSend a Private Message to edfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If your RPM is about 3000 at 60MPH, then you have the performance transmission.
If its lower than that you have the economy one. The economy one is pretty rare. Its unlikely you have this one.

[This message has been edited by edfiero (edited 04-28-2022).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock