Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Fuel injectors. Which do you recommend to buy?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Fuel injectors. Which do you recommend to buy? by mlopezbe
Started on: 05-03-2022 11:38 AM
Replies: 13 (536 views)
Last post by: mlopezbe on 06-20-2022 02:21 PM
mlopezbe

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2022 11:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mlopezbeSend a Private Message to mlopezbeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi, I'm Mario from Argentina. I wanted to ask you the following: A year ago, I bought some parts for my Fiero GT 2,8 L V6 auto, including a Delphi injector kit (via Ebay). This week when we go to install them, we find that they are shorter than the original ones. Now I need to buy the set again and I want to spend as little as possible. On the RockAuto site I saw these options: ULTRAPOWER MFI 111 for $21.79 and STANDARD MOTOR PRODUCTS FJ9 for $24.59. There are more options but much more expensive than what I would like to pay. The first question is: do they both correspond to the 2.8l V6 engine? (I do not want it to happen to me again that they are not the correct ones). The second question is: which one do you recommend me to buy? Thank you very much for the help!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2022 12:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I bought the FJ9's for my 86 and they're working just fine. They are properly rated for the 2.8 and 3.1 MPFI. Replacement injectors may be a little shorter than originals. I didn't compare to my old injectors, but a slight difference won't matter. Once they are locked in with the ring in the fuel rail, the O-ring at the bottom will provide an effective seal. Lube the O-rings with a good synthetic lube or with Nylog Blue lube and sealant that be found at AC supply sources. The Nylog Blue is compatible with all compositions of O-rings and uses so you won't need one for oil, one for coolant, one for refrigerant, etc. .
fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2022 09:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Did you ever make a decision, what was it, and what was the result? Don't leave us hanging.
Kitskaboodle

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2022 10:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KitskaboodleSend a Private Message to KitskaboodleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I’m wondering why you didn’t go the route many go and that is to clean your old ones? There are plenty of places that will clean your factory originals and even give you a print out of the flow pattern when you get them back. The most common one people use is Cruzin Performance but of course they are here in the US. There must be some lical places in your country that provides this service.
Kit
mlopezbe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2022 10:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mlopezbeSend a Private Message to mlopezbeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierofool:

Did you ever make a decision, what was it, and what was the result? Don't leave us hanging.

The car is now in a new shop that specializes in American cars. If the fault is in the injectors, we will see to clean them and if this does not work and we need it, I will go for the FJ9 option that you recommended.
mlopezbe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2022 10:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mlopezbeSend a Private Message to mlopezbeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

mlopezbe

22 posts
Member since Apr 2007

Originally posted by Kitskaboodle:

I’m wondering why you didn’t go the route many go and that is to clean your old ones? There are plenty of places that will clean your factory originals and even give you a print out of the flow pattern when you get them back. The most common one people use is Cruzin Performance but of course they are here in the US. There must be some lical places in your country that provides this service.
Kit

Yeah that's right. The car is now in a workshop specialized in American cars and we are going to check and clean the injectors. If it is necessary to change them, I will buy the FJ9 as recommended by Fierofool

Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 329
Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2022 03:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I believe the best injectors are made by Bosch but be careful who you buy them from. The Chinese copied the design and they are total junk

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2022 04:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

I believe the best injectors are made by Bosch but be careful who you buy them from. The Chinese copied the design and they are total junk

I had a heck of a time finding Bosch Injectors properly rated for my engine. A rebuilder rated a set at #17 and they turned out to be 14#. Bosch flow charts seem to be all over the place, depending upon the source that's selling them. The only way to be sure is to have someone put them on a flow bench and certify them at the PSI of your system.

mlopezbe, glad you're headed on the right road. If you choose the FJ9's, I'm sure you'll be satisfied with them.

[This message has been edited by fierofool (edited 05-23-2022).]

mlopezbe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2022 05:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mlopezbeSend a Private Message to mlopezbeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierofool:

I had a heck of a time finding Bosch Injectors properly rated for my engine. A rebuilder rated a set at #17 and they turned out to be 14#. Bosch flow charts seem to be all over the place, depending upon the source that's selling them. The only way to be sure is to have someone put them on a flow bench and certify them at the PSI of your system.

mlopezbe, glad you're headed on the right road. If you choose the FJ9's, I'm sure you'll be satisfied with them.

Thank you so much, Fierofool
fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2022 08:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
When you get it running, post some pictures. Rarely, if ever have we seen a Fiero in Argentina. Should be some beautiful backgrounds for a setting.
hunter29

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2022 09:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hunter29Send a Private Message to hunter29Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here to learn, so why would you clean 36 year old injectors?

At that age wouldn’t you want to replace them.
PFF
System Bot
fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2022 08:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by hunter29:

Here to learn, so why would you clean 36 year old injectors?

At that age wouldn’t you want to replace them.

I have commonly reused 30+ year old injectors without any problem, as long as they were working before. Just going from one engine to another or after working on an engine. In my case, I had a car that was down for more than 2 years. When the engine was replaced, the old injectors were used and some had failed in that 2 years. The FJ9's were installed and fixed the problem.

XxdjxX89

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2022 09:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for XxdjxX89Send a Private Message to XxdjxX89Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Rochester are the stock fuel injectors , rated 15lbs
Just to inform n my experience , I bought from a seller who said they were flow tested and good , our shop has a injector flow test machine and sure enough 2 of them were bad ,,, I bought another set of injectors which were the cheap Chinese injectors and 3 out of 6 of those worked .
I was able to make a set and I spent around $300 which was fine
The power and throttle response of the car improved significantly,

I also purchased the accel 15lbs for another car , costed around $450 and I will say they are well built and the spray pattern Pinterest have better automization , just my 2 sense
mlopezbe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2022 02:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mlopezbeSend a Private Message to mlopezbeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
FJ9 injectors just arrived. In the next few days we are going to replace them and see how the car works.Thank you all for the comments!

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock