Help me with my handbrake by phil_d
Started on: 06-16-2022 01:52 AM
Replies: 7 (387 views)
Last post by: MulletproofMonk on 06-19-2022 10:30 PM
phil_d

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2022 01:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for phil_dSend a Private Message to phil_dEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Does anyone know what's up with this handbrake? The handbrake moves freely up and down with no resistance; pushing the release button on top does nothing. Here's a picture if it may help.

-phil
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Eliredandblack

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2022 02:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for EliredandblackSend a Private Message to EliredandblackEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My uneducated guess is the cable is broken. You will need to look at the brake cable that runs underneath the car. Use Google to find pictures of the parking brake system on a FIERO.
Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 699
Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2022 03:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looking at the picture, the handbrake is engaged meaning if you move the lever up or down, you feel no resistance whatsoever. To disengage, pull the lever all the way up, then press the release button and keep it pressed while moving the lever down.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 572
Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2022 08:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
P-Brake is "On..."

P-brake needs cables tension to work. No tension and ratchet stays "Engage."
Try Pull main cable in back of car while helper release the arm.

No Tension problems can be bad cable(s), bad spring(s) on caliper(s), and more.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

MulletproofMonk

Feedback score:    (50)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 78
Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2022 10:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MulletproofMonkClick Here to visit MulletproofMonk's HomePageSend a Private Message to MulletproofMonkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Phil,
Does it function like this when you push the button in? https://youtu.be/BVx1YKilNUM

If the button works then it is probably in the cables.
If the button doesn't work, then I have one or two for sale up here in Dayton. I think all the Fiero stuff on Dayton/Cincinnati Craigslist right now are mine...

------------------
-Brian

My 87 GT Poly Suspension Upgrade (all pics) thread
Removing the roof panel
My HUD install thread
Modified stock air canister and base to 3.5 inch for 3800na

phil_d

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2022 09:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phil_dSend a Private Message to phil_dEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here's a video that might help. https://youtu.be/pK8oa1MNl38 Would this make it a button issue? I'm new to Fiero ownership so this is all new to me
Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 699
Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2022 10:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's hardly visible on the video, but when moving the lever down, do you keep the release button pressed? Because it actually looks like you are releasing the button when you move the lever down. It also looks like you don't press it in far enough.
MulletproofMonk

Feedback score:    (50)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 78
Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2022 10:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MulletproofMonkClick Here to visit MulletproofMonk's HomePageSend a Private Message to MulletproofMonkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by phil_d:

Here's a video that might help. https://youtu.be/pK8oa1MNl38 Would this make it a button issue? I'm new to Fiero ownership so this is all new to me

It is hard to see much in your video. Did you watch my video? When pulling the lever up it should ratchet to engage. You then pull it all the way straight up, [i]hold the button in the whole time you are releasing it ]/i] so that it pushes out the curved bottom out and that curved bottom should release as you are bringing the lever back down.

You could always pull your brake and see if it ratchets up and then releases back down. If it does, then your cable is frozen. I my opinion, it is probably the easier task then trying to mess with the cable first... but opinions are butts, everyone has one...

Watched your video a couple more times. When you have the lever all the way up and push the button, it may not be extending far enough. You can try pushing down on the little plate it pushes against and see if that helps release it. If it does, the the button doesn't push out far enough.

[This message has been edited by MulletproofMonk (edited 06-19-2022).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock