Factory Formula Clutch Calamity by David Hambleton
Started on: 07-07-2022 12:55 PM
Replies: 9 (354 views)
Last post by: David Hambleton on 09-10-2022 09:31 PM
David Hambleton

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2022 12:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for David HambletonSend a Private Message to David HambletonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Factory stock Formula 44,200 km (27,500 miles):
MG 282 input shaft sleeve broke off; the less restrained release bearing detached from clutch fork arms allowing arms to contact pressure plate springs.

So far, Rodney Dickman's solution seems to be the #1 option. http://rodneydickman.com/pr....php?products_id=305

I was hoping for a less intrusive repair while retaining the low mileage transaxle... lol!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2022 10:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ouch! I wonder what happened to the sleeve.

Yeah... Rodney's piece would be my first guess, too. Good luck with your repair.
David Hambleton

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2022 01:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for David HambletonSend a Private Message to David HambletonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The sleeve is in still (nearly) in place in the first pic, just loose; broken off where it attaches to the "input shaft bearing with sleeve" in the parts catalogue.
I've ordered the Rodney repair; hopefully I can execute successfully!

Input shaft bearing with sleeve:

Input shaft bearing with departed sleeve:

[This message has been edited by David Hambleton (edited 07-08-2022).]

David Hambleton

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2022 09:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for David HambletonSend a Private Message to David HambletonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks to Rodney Dickman for the repair stuff: http://rodneydickman.com/pr....php?products_id=305

The counterbore making gizmo:

The counterbore made:

The counterbore:

Hole drilling fixture:

Tapping locator pin:

Tapping:

Clutch release bearing support sleeve installed:

Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 464
Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2022 11:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Good job!
David Hambleton

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2022 09:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for David HambletonSend a Private Message to David HambletonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks. The credit goes to Rodney; beautiful quality repair kit.
It's such a big teardown just to remove the failed bearing/sleeve assembly; it makes it even more annoying that the original part was so poorly engineered and/or produced and prone to failure under such light use.
I'm presuming Getrag had design control, Muncie had manufacturing quality control, and Mary Barra (GM CEO and former Fiero owner) would say: "Wasn't us!" Lol! Should be a warranty claim.
The pics show lots of stress cracks in the housing from the casting cooling process; maybe a few layers of duct tape around the transaxle would be advisable...

fierofool

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2022 09:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've read of this repair process. A couple of questions, though. Does all the tooling come in the repair kit? I didn't find it on Rodney's site. Also, what keeps the chips out of the transmission?
David Hambleton

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2022 09:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for David HambletonSend a Private Message to David HambletonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The bell housing is separated from the main transaxle housing so the input shaft bearing can be removed, so the transmission itself is elsewhere.
All the special tools are included; http://rodneydickman.com/pr....php?products_id=305 shows all the parts and instructions.

[This message has been edited by David Hambleton (edited 07-26-2022).]

fierofool

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2022 02:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If not for Rodney, there would be far fewer Fieros on the road, today.
David Hambleton

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2022 09:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for David HambletonSend a Private Message to David HambletonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The Formula is back together and seems to be performing like nothing ever happened.
I thought I might need a Rodney slave cylinder but didn't; just as well since they're not currently available.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock