Front Coil Springs 84-87 Fiero by HamiltonLambo
Started on: 07-12-2022 01:15 AM
Replies: 18 (421 views)
Last post by: Patrick on 07-18-2022 07:24 PM
HamiltonLambo

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2022 01:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HamiltonLamboSend a Private Message to HamiltonLamboEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hello Everyone,
I am hoping someone can recommend which coil springs I can use for my 87 fiero.
I went through the chats and archive.
I had previously installed Moog 8542 and had removed one coil. The height was good. The spring unfortunately broke and Moog has discontinued that part.
The Moog tech rep recommended Moog 8556 but when i looked up the specs, the load rate is 1600 (my old one was 1265).
The lowered spring kits in Canada will not be in stock till Nov2022. The shipping cost from US to Canada are also ridiculously high -$71USD to ship - almost $100CDN :-( .
Using the Moog website to select springs based on various dimensions, alot of the coils are discontinued or I cannot get it here.

Any information you can provide will be greatly appreciated.

Update1 July 12, 2022: Based on input from PhatMax (thank you sir) on using the Chevet springs, I sent a request to the manufacturer to provide the specs for the models listed on RockAuto.
Please see below the information they sent. The SMS6556 seems to be the best fit. The SMS6558 design load seems too low (808lbs) and SMS6730 design load is 3289lbs (this number does not make sense to me as it is very high).
I hope this information helps someone else who maybe stuck looking for a low cost solution.

Thank you for all the members who provided guidance.
When I was stuck, seeing your responses was a welcome relief.
Now on to how to change the front coil springs lol

Response from MevoTech
SMS6556

Free height: 13.63”

Wire diameter: 0.59”

Spring rate: 318 lbs/inch

Installation height: 9”

Design Load: 1465 lbs

End type 1: Square

End type 2: Tangential

Inside diameter: 3.5”

SMS6558

Free height: 13.75”

Wire diameter: 0.50”

Spring rate: 197 lbs/inch

Installation height: 9.63”

Design Load: 808 lbs

End type 1: Tangential

End type 2: Tangential

Inside diameter: 3.45”

SMS6730

Free height: 13.19”

Wire diameter: 0.906”

Spring rate: 1501 lbs/inch

Installation height: 11”

Design load: 3289 lbs

End type 1: Tangential

End type 2: Pigtail

Inside diameter: 3.65”

[This message has been edited by HamiltonLambo (edited 07-12-2022).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 464
Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2022 03:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by HamiltonLambo:

I had previously installed Moog 8542 and had removed one coil. The height was good. The spring unfortunately broke and Moog has discontinued that part.

Using that part number, I found This thread... which may or may not provide some relevant info.
HamiltonLambo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2022 10:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HamiltonLamboSend a Private Message to HamiltonLamboEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

Using that part number, I found This thread... which may or may not provide some relevant info.

Hi Patrick - thank you kindly for responding. Unfortunately it did not have any information that I could use to get a part number I can use to order new set of coil springs. If you do come across any additional information, please keep me in mind.

fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2022 11:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Chevette springs fit.
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/...120111-2-110255.html

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

HamiltonLambo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2022 01:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HamiltonLamboSend a Private Message to HamiltonLamboEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierosound:

Chevette springs fit.
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/...120111-2-110255.html

Hi FieroSound - I saw your write up on the topic and it was very helpful.

The coil springs you used (Reybestos) are discontinued or at least I could not find any online.
The Mevotech springs do not have any specifications. They have about 3 different models for the same vehicle but I dont know which ones to order.
I tried calling the tech support for Mevotech to get the specs but the number listed on their website goes to some resident (poor guy said he gets call all the time for that company).
If they cant list the specs or even get the number on their website correct, they seem sketchy.

Do you know if anyone has installed their springs and did it work?
Did you have to do anything with the springs or did they fit in without any cutting (I know you were looking to raise the front end which seemed to work).

PhatMax

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2022 04:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PhatMaxSend a Private Message to PhatMaxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
NAPA sells Mevotech parts , perhaps they can locate the proper phone or specs.
HamiltonLambo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2022 04:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HamiltonLamboSend a Private Message to HamiltonLamboEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by PhatMax:

NAPA sells Mevotech parts , perhaps they can locate the proper phone or specs.

Hi PhatMax - thank you for responding. I called a few NAPA stores here (Hamilton, Canada) and apparently they do not carry that brand in suspension.
One of the store tried to look up spring coils for a Crevette and they don't carry any springs for this car.

There must be an easier solution to finding proper springs for the Fiero with all of them still out there.
Having to buy the front and back set and shipping them to Canada makes it unfeasible when on a budget.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2022 05:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

One of the store tried to look up spring coils for a Crevette and they don't carry any springs for this car.

I'm not surprised.
PhatMax

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2022 05:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PhatMaxSend a Private Message to PhatMaxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have called these guys before…they make custom springs and make any spring rate you want.

Kevin Crane
Coil Springs Specialties
PBX "G"
632 W. Bertrand Avenue
Saint Mary's, KS 66536
785-437-2025

Last checked two years ago it was $280 a pair for rear springs

[This message has been edited by PhatMax (edited 07-12-2022).]

HamiltonLambo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2022 06:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HamiltonLamboSend a Private Message to HamiltonLamboEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
To prevent the original message from getting too long, I am uploading the various coil springs and brands vs specifications and prices at RockAuto as of July2022.

I updated the list. The Chevette springs ends are both squared. I had an error in original stating otherwise.

[This message has been edited by HamiltonLambo (edited 07-17-2022).]

fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 259
Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2022 07:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here is the range you want to be looking in with the following limits:
Coil ID Minimum = 3.3" (no idea if this is the true minimum for the 84-87, just a number I picked to narrow the data)
Coil OD Maximum = 4.74 (no idea if this is the true maximum for the 84-87, just a number I picked to narrow the data)
Free height assumed to be 12.5" , based on your original springs with 1 coil cut (if you know what that actual # is I can put in in the spreadsheet and recalculate the new spring rates)
Spring rate @ desired length between 200 and 526 lbs/in

NOTE: Pigtail is OK as long as the spring is longer and you plan to cut it down to 12.5" (or some other) length.

[This message has been edited by fieroguru (edited 07-12-2022).]

PFF
System Bot
HamiltonLambo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2022 09:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HamiltonLamboSend a Private Message to HamiltonLamboEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thank you FieroGuru- excellent information. Once I remove the old spring, i will have a look at the free height.

For the installed height, what’s the best range?
I see some as 8” while others at 9.5”.
I guess it may depend on users preference on how low they prefer their car.
When the coil broke, the car was about an inch lower and it looks really cool. However, the tires rub on the inside.
I believe the previous owner had it set up this way and I can see bunch of wear marks on the inside.

Thank you so much for the response and information.
sanderson231

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2022 12:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sanderson231Send a Private Message to sanderson231Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The installed height is related to the load and the spring rate. If you look at 2 springs with the same unloaded height and the same spring rate they will have the same compressed height when installed in a Fiero even though they have different listed installed heights. If a Fiero weighs 2800 lbs and the engine+transmission weigh 500 lbs, I'm guessing the load for the front springs is about (2800-500)/2 or 1150 lbs total - 675 for each spring. Remember the Chevette had the engine in the front.

------------------
formerly known as sanderson
1984 Quad 4
1886 SE 2.8L
1988 4.9L Cadillac
1988 3800 Supercharged

[This message has been edited by sanderson231 (edited 07-14-2022).]

fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2022 09:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I called a few NAPA stores here (Hamilton, Canada) and apparently they do not carry that brand in suspension.

Auto Value in Canada has several brands of springs listed in Parts Catalog
Chevette was made 1976 - 1987
https://autovalue.com/parts-catalog.php

Alternate Mevotech numbers, or should be able to give correct one for main office.
https://www.yellowpages.ca/.../mevotech/Toronto+ON

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 07-13-2022).]

HamiltonLambo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2022 01:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HamiltonLamboSend a Private Message to HamiltonLamboEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Update:
I installed the new Chevette springs on the front yesterday. Reading all the helpful hints on this definitely made the job easier. I don't know if i could have installed the springs without the spring compressor.
I had to cut one coil off but it seems to still be sitting a bit higher than I would like. I will let it settle before cutting anymore coils.
Thank you FieroGuru, PhatMax, FieroSound and rest of the members who commented on this. You guys are awesome!!

[This message has been edited by HamiltonLambo (edited 07-18-2022).]

fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2022 02:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Separate your IMG links and text with blank lines so they don't all run together.

PS - I "found out about" the Fiero because I was reading Kit Car magazine and wanted a Lambo kit, but decided the 87 GT was great as is.

Update:
I installed the new chevy springs on the front yesterday. Reading all the helpful hints on this definitely made the job easier. I don't know if i could have installed the springs without the spring compressor.
I had to cut one coil off but it seems to still be sitting a bit higher than I would like. I will let it settle before cutting anymore coils.
Thank you FieroGuru, PhatMax, FieroSound and rest of the members who commented on this. You guys are awesome!!

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 07-18-2022).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2022 03:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierosound:

Separate your IMG links and text with blank lines so they don't all run together.

I've been on that crusade here for ages. I suspect that people who post text and images using their phone don't realize how messed up their posts sometimes appear when viewed on a PC screen. And not only is the layout all screwed up, but with more than three images, there's always at least one IMG link that gets a space inserted and therefore doesn't work, as in This post.

HamiltonLambo, we're not picking on you. We'd just like to see your (and everyone's) posts present themselves better.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 07-18-2022).]

HamiltonLambo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2022 06:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HamiltonLamboSend a Private Message to HamiltonLamboEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

HamiltonLambo, we're not picking on you. We'd just like to see your (and everyone's) posts present themselves better.

No worries and I agree 100%. That is how I learn.
I went back and edited the post. :-)

Fiero Sound - no arguing there, they are amazing.
This car I am working on, it is a beauty and the body is huge.
I am hoping to bring it to a local get together once completed. I will have to ask if it will upset anyone.
There are purist out there and they don't like to see their cars get desecrated and I respect that.

I am hoping to have my car done one of these days/years lol.
I wish I had the knowledge of you guys. It would make the project proceed so much faster.

[This message has been edited by HamiltonLambo (edited 07-18-2022).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2022 07:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

No worries and I agree 100%. That is how I learn.
I went back and edited the post. :-)

Glad to see you have a positive attitude about it. You can still improve how you post the images though, and that is to put a "blank line", as fierosound called it, between the IMG links. Use the Enter key to do so. The reason for doing this, is that not only do the posted images look better with some space between them (they won't "flow" into each other), but you also won't end up with a gap inserted within one of the IMG links as you do Here. Notice the gap in the JPG extension of the link that didn't work?

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 07-18-2022).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock