Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Front Sway Bar - is there one I can use from another car?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Front Sway Bar - is there one I can use from another car? by HamiltonLambo
Started on: 07-17-2022 02:26 PM
Replies: 11 (281 views)
Last post by: HamiltonLambo on 07-18-2022 11:39 AM
HamiltonLambo

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2022 02:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HamiltonLamboSend a Private Message to HamiltonLamboEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
[img]https://images.fiero.nl/userimages/HamiltonLambo/link%20removed%20broken.j pg[/img]

Hello - my sway bar setup is different than what I have seen on others here.
My links are either breaking (twice already) or bending.

Is there a sway bar I can buy locally (Canada) as the shipping costs are very high from US due to size.

Can I use my existing bar and put some sort of adapter that would work based on your experience?

Here are the picks of my front sway bar and the links. In going through posts on this board, the links look similar to the ones used on the back.

Any help/insight you can provide will be greatly appreciated.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 464
Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2022 04:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Year?
HamiltonLambo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2022 05:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HamiltonLamboSend a Private Message to HamiltonLamboEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

Year?

Sorry for not specifying.
1987 Fiero, 4cylinder but it now has a 3800 with supercharger.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 464
Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2022 05:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Front factory sway bars for '84-'87 are still relatively plentiful. Has a rear sway bar been fitted to your '87 Fiero?

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 07-17-2022).]

PhatMax

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2022 05:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PhatMaxSend a Private Message to PhatMaxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have an 85 and the set up is different. The ends of mine are flattened……sort of oval…. Then a hole in the middle where the bolt goes thru.
There is also a ply bushings on top and bottom. So unless I’m missing something yours looks solid mounted too.
cvxjet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2022 05:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have the bar from my 85 SE V6....I actually replaced it with....an 87 GT bar which is slightly smaller (Less understeer)....but I live in the SF bay area.

My front bar is rubber mounted while my rear bar (88 suspension/bar) is mounted with RD zero-lash links. My theory is that when you first turn in the rear bar is working while the front bar is still isolated by the rubber bushings, making the car a bit more "Over-steery" so it turns in better....but as the "G"s build up, the front bar starts to work, backing the car off to a more "Under-steery" situation which is safer.

My car's steering response is MUCH better than stock, but the DTO (Drop-throttle-oversteer) situation is actually more mild- the tail doesn't try to come around...cut the throttle in a turn and the car just tightens the line a bit inward (Just what you want)

I have a thread on what I did; https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/140674.html
HamiltonLambo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2022 08:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HamiltonLamboSend a Private Message to HamiltonLamboEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

Front factory sway bars for '84-'87 are still relatively plentiful. Has a rear sway bar been fitted to your '87 Fiero?

It seems that way but I am still learning my way around Fieros (or at least the Fiero Chassis). I have been working on my car for past several years rebuilding it.
I manage product quality so this mechanic stuff is all new to me and learning as I go.

With the help from the experts here and YouTube, I have been able to figure out most of the work (and there is lot more lol).
If i am being honest here and to give you an idea of my mechanical knowledge, I did not know what a sway bar did until I read up on it here and looked up some videos.
HamiltonLambo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2022 11:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HamiltonLamboSend a Private Message to HamiltonLamboEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

HamiltonLambo

24 posts
Member since Apr 2019

Originally posted by cvxjet:

I have the bar from my 85 SE V6....I actually replaced it with....an 87 GT bar which is slightly smaller (Less understeer)....but I live in the SF bay area.

I have a thread on what I did; https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/140674.html

I read all the info in the link you forwarded.
Very detailed and technical. Amazing read.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 572
Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2022 11:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Top is an Aftermarket bar and likely made and/or install wrong is why it breaks end links.
Plus heavy bar puts a lot of load on end links and everything else turning the car and hitting potholes adding to failures.

Be glad it only break end links.
Can tear up control arms, break support brackets for middle and more when those fail.

Finding/making strong end links can just move to next weak part to fail as list above too.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

cam-a-lot

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2022 08:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cam-a-lotSend a Private Message to cam-a-lotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Check out http://niagarafieros.com/

Ian is a good guy, should have sway bar close to you.

PM me your phone number and we can add you to Whatsapp technical chat locally as well

fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2022 10:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
PFF
System Bot
HamiltonLambo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2022 11:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HamiltonLamboSend a Private Message to HamiltonLamboEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cvxjet:

I read all the info in the link you forwarded.
Very detailed and technical. Amazing read.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock