Started on: 08-24-2022 09:20 AM
Replies: 15 (332 views)
Last post by: theogre on 08-30-2022 03:53 PM
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2022 09:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Some have had problems locating ethanol submersible fuel hose. I have found that NAPA has the hose. They apparently changed the part numbers when the product was upgraded. Runs about $40 for a one-foot length.

The part number for the 5/16 ID (0.3125" ID) submersible fuel injection hose is NBH H209. If you need a 3/8 ID, the part number is NBH H213. The short piece of hose needed to connect the fuel pump to the sending unit metal line is 3/8 inch ID. The size needed at the discharge end of the metal line going to the engine bay is 5/16 ID. My local price for a foot in the Atlanta area is about $33 and $40, respectively.

From the manufacturer:
Submersible Fuel Line Hose is capable of handling multiple types of gasoline and fuels, including gasoline, alcohol-extended gasoline, ethanols, biodiesel or diesel fuel in fully-immersed, mobile and stationary applications. Most fuel lines are only designed to handle fuel on the interior of the hose, which can be damaged if the exterior is exposed to fuel. Engineered for fully submersible use, these hoses are excellent for use on gas tank fuel pumps.

Comprised of an FKM tube and cover with synthetic fiber reinforcement
Exceeds required SAE 30R10 standard
Temperature Range: -40 Deg. F to +302 Deg. F (-40 Deg. C to +150 Deg. C)
Modify message
« Last Edit: August 23, 2022, 11:02:30 PM by Fierofool »
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
theogre

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 572
Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2022 10:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
NAPA corp has PN's 5/16" and 3/8" Submersible Hose but local stores often don't have 1 or both in stock. More so w/ 3/8".

Like Gates 27097 3/8" x 1 foot is near impossible to find.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2022 11:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
True. My local store just 5 miles away has to order it, then there's shipping costs added. Fortunately, Atlanta has several distribution center stores and there's one near most Georgia Fiero Club members, in Norcross, Ga. that has both in stock. There's also another center in Sylvester, in South Georgia.
theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2022 01:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Dayco 80160 and other 5/16" x 1' Submersible Hose is fairly easy to find on Amazon (@ $25.98) and more.

vs Many list 3/8" like Jeggs but out of stock on the page or when you order it.

NAPA is about the only store "chain" that wants to add shipping...
AZ and many others often have same (depend on order time) or next day for many parts and w/o shipping charge. Even Pep Boys before closing most or all stores didn't add shipping.
Like a few weeks ago I had AZ store getting 3/4" heater hose next day from dist in NJ. She called other several local stores and they didn't have it too.

NAPA, Parts Plus, and some others are Franchise Operations and NAPA like old Kenmore etc from Sears jack the price just putting a label on the part and often have very little to no warranty on most everything.
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 464
Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2022 03:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I found another option a couple of years ago (that I didn't use due to high shipping costs to Canada) which might be viable.

Gates - 121652 - 7.3mm ID / 3" length - $8.95

3" might appear to be short, but that's all that's required for this application. I believe 7.3mm should be close enough to 5/16" to fit properly.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 08-24-2022).]

theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2022 05:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:
I found another option a couple of years ago (that I didn't use due to high shipping costs to Canada) which might be viable.

Gates - 121652 - 7.3mm ID / 3" length - $8.95

3" might appear to be short, but that's all that's required for this application. I believe 7.3mm should be close enough to 5/16" to fit properly.
It might... Think 5/16" is more like ~ 8mm. 3/8" more like 10mm. Not digging thru exact conversion.

⚠️ Careful: Stretching hose to fit isn't a good plan. Might work only for a short time then fail and leave you stranded later.

Remember that a hard tube say 5/16" etc OD but also have "flares" to keep them from blowing off the hose when clamps are tiniest bit loose. That forces the hose to stretch more then just the tube.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2022 05:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by theogre:

It might... Think 5/16" is more like ~ 8mm.

⚠️ Careful: Stretching hose to fit isn't a good plan. Might work only for a short time then fail and leave you stranded later.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if 7.3mm hose is exactly the same size as hose marketed as 5/16 inch. Probably all comes off the same production line. Even if there is a slight difference, I doubt that "stretching" a 7.3mm hose 0.7mm to 8.0mm is anything to be concerned about.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 08-24-2022).]

fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2022 06:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I measured the metal tube on a sending unit. It is 0.315 at it's smallest point but it has a flare ring as it transitions to a larger size. Don't remember what that measurement was, but I think the hose is supposed to go over that flare. If that's the case, hose size should be determined by the outlet size of the fuel pump. I've always heard that the proper size is 5/16".
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2022 06:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

This is the sending unit and fuel pump from my '84. If there's a flare anywhere on there (I don't see one), it's awfully small.

Will

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post08-29-2022 09:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
"Bead" would be the better term.
I also double clamp the pressure lines.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2022 12:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm pretty sure there was was no "flare" or "bead" on my assembly pictured above. With the way the pump is supported from below, IMO there's no way that the connections at either end of the short section of hose are going to blow apart if securely clamped.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 08-30-2022).]

PFF
System Bot
ericjon262

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2022 04:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ericjon262Send a Private Message to ericjon262Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I wouldn't be surprised at all if 7.3mm hose is exactly the same size as hose marketed as 5/16 inch. Probably all comes off the same production line. Even if there is a slight difference, I doubt that "stretching" a 7.3mm hose 0.7mm to 8.0mm is anything to be concerned about.

7.3mm= 0.2874 inch

5/16inch= 0.3125 inch

8mm=.315 inch.

7.3 vs 8mm? realistically, it's about .030 difference in diameter, or about .08" difference in circumference. probably not enough to actually be concerned about. 8mm vs 5/16? absolutely doesn't matter for anything on a Fiero.

------------------
"I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."

I invited Lou Dias to trash me in my own thread, he refused. sorry. if he trashes your thread going after me. I tried.

fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2022 09:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I'm pretty sure there was was no "flare" or "bead" on my assembly pictured above. With the way the pump is supported from below, IMO there's no way that the connections at either end of the short section of hose are going to blow apart if securely clamped.

There's no bead on it but it's definitely smaller where the hose attaches. The other sending unit I have still has the hose attached, so I don't know how it's configured. Both are OEM sending units.

theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2022 01:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
fuel pump assembly often don't have "locking bumps" on OE pumps, output tube or both. Because there's little or no way to blow off the short hose when clamp(s) get loose.

Example: these "bump" are use on other fuel, oil, and coolant hard lines and outlets.
When you cut out crush coolant pipes under the car then you don't have the bumps and even 2 clamps for each hose end, the hose can easily blow off if you don't do something to support the pipe or lock them someway else.

My F-pump output have about 1/4" gap or less that that the hose spans and no way to blow off the hose.
Many Replacement Fuel Pumps have the bumps because no way to know how plumbing is in all tanks the pump can work and may have more hose to deal with.

Some tank assemblies have "Neck Down section" like just above and others don't. Even if output tube is 3/8" on 87-88 dukes.... GM just use hose to fit 3/8" line and 5/16" pump out. While V6 needs the neck down tube to fit the pulsator...
see https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/146240.html
fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2022 01:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ah! So, there's the difference. V6's have a pulsator and Dukes don't? Neck down for the V6 and one diameter for the Duke? Otherwise, are the units identical and will interchange?
theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2022 03:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierofool:
Ah! So, there's the difference. V6's have a pulsator and Dukes don't? Neck down for the V6 and one diameter for the Duke? Otherwise, are the units identical and will interchange?
Is likely several tank plumping "kits" for V6 vs L4 or year by year even before "bigger tank" for 87-88.

V6 might interchange if use on L4 but not other way because of V6 puslator.
But...
84 maybe "84 only" thing or same plumbing as 85-86 duke.
85-86 have different fuel lines to engine for each motor and may have different tank tubes from that reason.
87-88 have similar plumbing to engine w/ both go under the battery so tank tubes maybe closer to same ignoring the neck down for pump.
Before everyone looking in 22P... That "book" have many problems and even when PN are right... May not be exact same as part installed from car factory.

No, Dukes don't use the puslator because of low pressure needed for L4 w/ 9-13PSI.
Replacements for V6 may not need or want a puslator because different pump design and may void a pump warranty if use. So check any doc's w/ replacement pumps. (Nearly all will void the warranty w/o a new pickup "sock." Best if buy both at same time so on same invoice/receipt. even better is same brand for both parts so can't blame X brand for Y failure when dealing w/ warrant issues.)

Remember that Neck down section shown above cost GM whatever amount then multiply X units.... IOW GM use "special" hose to save money on cars, likely not just Fiero, that don't use puslators.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock