Diesel 4.3L V6 swap in Fiero? by Z Fiero
Started on: 09-28-2022 11:23 AM
Replies: 14 (542 views)
Last post by: Z Fiero on 06-24-2023 11:08 PM
Z Fiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2022 11:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Z FieroSend a Private Message to Z FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am new to here and I am try learning about unique Fiero car... I don't have one not yet... (still looking)

I recent got rare animal a complete 4.3L V6 Diesel engine come out 1984 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme (LT6)
No, its not same the 4.3L gas vortec block engine. Some people might it said somewhat similar to
5.7L V8 Oldsmobile engine but its very different one and it had 6 bolts per cylinder so head gasket not a problem.

Its about 85 HP and 165 lb-ft at stock. Not too bad for small car. Adding the little turbo might help and bit fun to drive
but depends what Fiero rear size space under the rear lid.

I was wondering if anyone here have success swap the 4.3 V6 Olds Diesel in the 1980's Fiero?
The MPG supposed be amazing better than the Toy Prius isn't? 60's or plus MPG? Maybe...I have to test it out!

I am curious what best year for Fiero car that come with "V6" engine mount chassis and maybe auto with overdrive or 5 speed?
Id rather to try find 1980's Fiero auto with OD because I don't have solid flywheel for 4.3L V6 diesel, finding the match balanced flywheel
for manual probably the impossible part. Only few year made 1980's Chevrolet Celebrity with opt 4.3L diesel might came
with factory 5 speed manual. Today 2022 its almost extinct as seem.

I'll post my picture 4.3L V6 Olds diesel engine here soon.

[This message has been edited by Z Fiero (edited 09-28-2022).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Z Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2022 11:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Z FieroSend a Private Message to Z FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here some pictures! The 4.3L V6 diesel engine come out from 1984 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme

RichLo1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2022 02:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RichLo1Send a Private Message to RichLo1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow that would be interesting! Is it the same bellhousing pattern and the GM 4.3 gas? What about the flywheel torque converter bolt pattern?
Z Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2022 03:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Z FieroSend a Private Message to Z FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RichLo1:

Wow that would be interesting! Is it the same bellhousing pattern and the GM 4.3 gas? What about the flywheel torque converter bolt pattern?

No, It's not the GM/Chevy bellhousing. It's B.O.P. bellhousing. Here picture you can see the rear end of 4.3L V6 diesel engine. There two pattern different size for bolt on the torque converter.

Will

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2022 04:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You'll need an adapter plate for any transverse transmission. There was a transverse version, as you said, in the Celebrities and Pontiac 6000s. That version would be better to swap into a Fiero.
It's still going to be slow. I don't know if the 4.3 is similar, but the 5.7 diesel was better off as scrap than trying to move a car.
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2022 04:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It has been done. Search for diesel fiero.

At what was likely the last Fiero Factory swap meet I parked my 4.3cpi fiero next to the diesel 4.3 fiero.
Z Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2022 05:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Z FieroSend a Private Message to Z FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Will:

You'll need an adapter plate for any transverse transmission. There was a transverse version, as you said, in the Celebrities and Pontiac 6000s. That version would be better to swap into a Fiero.
It's still going to be slow. I don't know if the 4.3 is similar, but the 5.7 diesel was better off as scrap than trying to move a car.

I have other car 1982 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz diesel FWD 5.7L v8 and probably has GM TH325 transmission I am not 100% sure if it had real OD. It just display P R N D 3 2 1. So its 4 speed auto. I don't know if Fiero factory auto does come with OD? but I just reading it few random posts now and most here people said Fiero auto was very weak? it as seem 5 speed manual was better.

Slow? maybe not too bad really, I did drove it the Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz it with factory 5.7L v8 diesel was reasonable with power even its heavy fat pig approx 4,000 lbs body car. For Fiero body it shouldn't be too hard for 4.3L V6 diesel to get rolling? 8 PSI turbo charger probably make bit faster for 4.3L V6 diesel? Yea, I am not looking for racing but good commute car that save my budget for fuel.

Z Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2022 05:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Z FieroSend a Private Message to Z FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Z Fiero

7 posts
Member since Sep 2022

Originally posted by fieroguru:

It has been done. Search for diesel fiero.

At what was likely the last Fiero Factory swap meet I parked my 4.3cpi fiero next to the diesel 4.3 fiero.

OK, I am try looking up now and it's the diesel 4.3 yellow Fiero car? it seem lot missing picture.

fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2022 07:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Z Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2022 09:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Z FieroSend a Private Message to Z FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroguru:

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/...050119-2-034219.html
https://a350diesel.tripod.com/dieselfiero.html

Thank you! that link was very useful info!

They said got 38+ MPG average at hwy seem disappointing result but I realized he probably did install non-overdrive 3 speed TH125C with 4.3L V6 diesel.
I was thinking the early 440-T4 / 4T60 transmission might gain better mpg with 4.3L V6 diesel, as long it does have overdrive it always get better MPG with any diesel engine.
The 4.3L V6 diesel (Longitudinal) with TH325 4 speed probably odd idea to put in with Fiero.

[This message has been edited by Z Fiero (edited 09-28-2022).]

Will

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2022 08:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The longitudinal automatic (TH325L) is much more difficult to install in a Fiero than a transverse automatic (440T4). However, to use the transverse transmission, you'll need either an engine with the transverse bellhousing pattern or an adapter plate.

PFF
System Bot
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 206
Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2022 08:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Seems like a lot of work and expense for very little (if any) gain.
cam-a-lot

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2022 09:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cam-a-lotSend a Private Message to cam-a-lotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by olejoedad:

Seems like a lot of work and expense for very little (if any) gain.

Agreed

Your labour/time has value. Swap parts have value. Thousands of dollars combined for parts and labour for really no gain..other than the "oddball" factor
donuteater306

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2022 12:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for donuteater306Send a Private Message to donuteater306Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'd woulda loved to have that Cutlass with the diesel still in it. Huge G-body fan and I love the chug-a-lug-a sound of those slugs! Best of luck with the swap. Keep us posted please.
Z Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2023 11:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Z FieroSend a Private Message to Z FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here updates:

I have decided to try swap 4.3L diesel with 1st gen Astro/Safari AWD van since Its hard to find any less than $500 for nice Fiero car at my area. I did brought 1994 GMC Safari XL with nice optional digital cluster, AC/Heater rear and whole van was just $500. Not rusty and about 160k miles on it.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock