What is this white wire? by MaxxPower1968
Started on: 09-30-2022 10:09 AM
Replies: 5 (406 views)
Last post by: IMSA GT on 10-15-2022 04:25 PM
MaxxPower1968

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2022 10:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MaxxPower1968Send a Private Message to MaxxPower1968Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hello Everyone,
I'm new to the Forum and Fiero family. I just got my first Fiero in early June. I've been researching and studying as much as I can from the Forum
while trying to get my "86 SE back on the road. It had been sitting for 15 years when I bought it. It didn't run and the interior was disgusting from the PO's son hotboxing it. I'll post some before and after pics later on. I got it running and just installed power windows (had manual cranks). I'm hoping one of you experts can help me identify a white wire coming from the passenger side kick panel. There is a tan wire attached to it form the PO. The tan wire is broken. I think it may go to the engine compartment because there is a broken wire coming through the firewall, passing through the center console, but that wire looks slightly gray. There is also a Viper alarm installed and that in itself is a basket case. I'm attaching a photo, hopefully someone knows what it is.

[This message has been edited by MaxxPower1968 (edited 09-30-2022).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Notorio

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2022 11:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NotorioSend a Private Message to NotorioEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welcome to the Forum, Maxx. And welcome to the reality that after 30 years of prior owners there is no telling what surgeries have been done and why. My only advice would be to trace the White Wire into the original wiring wrapping to find out what Color it originally was. Then someone with a manual from your year/body etc. can look up a diagram for what it is. Alternatively, someone might know off the top of their head. OTOH, if everything works it might be best to wrap it up and call it a day.

Good luck.
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 252
Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2022 10:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I believe that would have been for a power mirror, if that's an original wire.

[This message has been edited by IMSA GT (edited 10-01-2022).]

MaxxPower1968

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2022 08:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MaxxPower1968Send a Private Message to MaxxPower1968Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the replies guys!
I was hoping that wire was common to most fieros. The car is originally a manual windows and manual mirror car. As far as I can tell, the only things not working right now are the trunk release, trunk courtesy light, and the right front blinker. With the trunk release comes a few more problems. The switch and connector are installed but I can't find the relay. The viper bundle happens to be right where the relay is supposed to be. At the decklid, a red 14 awg wire runs down the lid into what looks like 4-pin a harness. I'll have to look into that later on. The trunk release is still far down on the priority list.
Back to the white wire. It looks like it runs up the side into the dash. I really didn't feel like taking things apart so I brought out the meter and did a quick continuity test. It's seems to go to ground. I went from the attached tan wire to different areas on the door and I got good loud beep every time. So like Notorio suggested, I'm going to wrap it up and call it a day... at lease for now. I'll look into it later on when I deal with the trunk release and that damn viper alarm rats nest. Thanks again for the replies, I look forward to the day when I can help out a noob like you guys are helping me.

Maxx
MaxxPower1968

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2022 02:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MaxxPower1968Send a Private Message to MaxxPower1968Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Update: Mystery solved
I traced the white wire to the dome light switch on the door jam. Now I just have to figure out why the alarm people spliced into it.
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 252
Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2022 04:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MaxxPower1968:

Now I just have to figure out why the alarm people spliced into it.

The alarm system is setup for a negative trigger. In other words when the door switch closes it's circuit to ground, the alarm system triggers. If it were run to the positive side of the dome light itself, they would have set the alarm up as a positive trigger.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock