shuts off when depressing clutch by bearingman
Started on: 11-22-2022 07:32 AM
Replies: 11 (286 views)
Last post by: bearingman on 11-30-2022 07:53 AM
bearingman

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2022 07:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bearingmanSend a Private Message to bearingmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Good morning, folks. I recently started having issues with my 87 GT shutting off when I depress the clutch to stop or turn. No issues while driving "straight". Starts right back up. Plenty of fuel in it. TPS? No erratic idle. Any ideas? I did just replace clutch master cylinder and had slave rebuilt. Thanks.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
ArthurPeale

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2022 02:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArthurPealeSend a Private Message to ArthurPealeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sounds like the clutch isn't disengaging when you press the pedal, and you're stalling the engine.

You said you had work on the slave and master cylinders done, are they bled and / or adjusted properly ?

------------------
Arthur Peale

Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2022 03:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Are your speedometer and cruise control working? Any lights or codes?

A failed (or disconnected) VSS can cause all of the above, including stalling.
bearingman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2022 03:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bearingmanSend a Private Message to bearingmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes, they were bled. No binding felt when working the shifter. Just shuts off like if I had turned the key to off. Fires right back up.
bearingman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2022 03:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bearingmanSend a Private Message to bearingmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

bearingman

7 posts
Member since Jul 2021
cruise and speedometer work. Service engine soon light comes on when vehicle gets to operating temperature, goes out, comes on, goes out....
bearingman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2022 03:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bearingmanSend a Private Message to bearingmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

bearingman

7 posts
Member since Jul 2021
It did start idling rough the next time I started it up a few days ago. When I increase throttle it levels out.
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 464
Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2022 04:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by bearingman:

shuts off when depressing clutch

Just to take the clutch itself out of the equation... Does the engine stall when the clutch is depressed while the car is out of gear idling and parked?

Service engine soon light comes on when vehicle gets to operating temperature, goes out, comes on, goes out....

What are the stored codes?

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 11-29-2022).]

Dukesterpro

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2022 01:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DukesterproSend a Private Message to DukesterproEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Dumb question, did you try unplugging your clutch interlock. I know it might not do anything in this scenario but it might be shorting or something silly
bearingman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2022 03:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bearingmanSend a Private Message to bearingmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
no, it doesn't shut down when just idling.

I'll have to check into the lock.

I'll try to get the codes checked out. [img]https://images.fiero.nl/userimages/bearingman/1987%20Pontiac%20Fiero%20G[img]
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 464
Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2022 03:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

no, it doesn't shut down when just idling.

I assume you're referring to when you depress the clutch. Okay, then the clutch is a red herring. It's an engine issue. Supply the trouble codes and we'll take it from there.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 11-29-2022).]

olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 206
Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2022 03:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dukesterpro:

Dumb question, did you try unplugging your clutch interlock. I know it might not do anything in this scenario but it might be shorting or something silly

There is no scenario where this could be the cause. The engine would not crank on startup.

To the O/P......

Can you easily and quietly shift gears when engine is running and clutch is depressed?

PFF
System Bot
bearingman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2022 07:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bearingmanSend a Private Message to bearingmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
OLEJOEDAD

yes it does

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock