can anyone tell me what these are? by phil_d
Started on: 11-29-2022 11:35 PM
Replies: 7 (464 views)
Last post by: sanderson231 on 12-01-2022 11:28 AM
phil_d

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2022 11:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phil_dSend a Private Message to phil_dEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Can anyone tell me what these are and if I need to keep them in a 3.8 swap? Thanks

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
skywurz

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2022 11:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skywurzClick Here to visit skywurz's HomePageSend a Private Message to skywurzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks like a charcoal canister for EVAP and a vacuum tank for cruise control.

Edit:

And I would guess that blue arrow used to go to the egr that would have been located at the pinkish arrow. But is now just a vacuum leak

[This message has been edited by skywurz (edited 11-30-2022).]

fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2022 08:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I know little about 3800 swaps, but I've never seen an EGR valve on any intake. They are always located on the exhaust. Even in the production vehicle, an EGR valve sitting atop the supercharger would protrude through the hood. That plate may be a service port, possibly for oil level for the supercharger?

Putting that T into the evap line to provide vacuum to the cruise canister doesn't make sense. It should have been plugged to that vacant vacuum nipple if nothing else is supposed to go there.

[This message has been edited by fierofool (edited 11-30-2022).]

fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2022 08:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

fierofool

12874 posts
Member since Jan 2002
I also see a nipple on the EVAP canister that is capped. Where should that go?
skywurz

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2022 10:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for skywurzClick Here to visit skywurz's HomePageSend a Private Message to skywurzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I guess pinkish arrow has something to do with pcv

[This message has been edited by skywurz (edited 11-30-2022).]

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 572
Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2022 11:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Look to be Fiero Stock EVAP "can" and will not work connected as shown.
Small port is Control vac that opens the Purge port and connected to Ported Vac port on TB/TBI on stock engines.

EVAP "can" for 3.8 just have a Purge line direct to the can without the valve.

Fiero and some others EVAP Canister are can shaped but that could be any shape to fit whatever space in another model.

To fix? use 2 vac lines to the can w/ small line to intake manifold so stay open w/ engine running allowing ECM/PCM to control Purging as diagram shows.

the other "Can shape" thing look like some crap vacuum reserve to keep vacuum but likely does nothing w/o check valve(s) plumbing into the right places.
Doubt the "tree ports" on the intake where several line connect have a check valve.

Vacuum Reserve "can" are used by Vacuum Operated Cruise Control and other things like Vac "Motors" used by many Heat/AC doors in thousands of models for decades. In some cases they add Big "Cans" or even Electric Vac Pumps to run Vac Boosted Brakes w/ engines can't make vacuum like some "performance engines" or E-cars.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 572
Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2022 12:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

theogre

32520 posts
Member since Mar 99
If the EVAP can did allow air to flow as shown connected above... would have a Vac Leak because is Valve failed and Open all the time.

And I forgot GM "plumb" the Fiero and many others "backwards..." (Maybe to prevent vac leaks in the control valve or to limit/manage purge air flow.)

OE design is Control to Ported Vac, Purge to Intake Vac.
Fiero has other way around Control to Intake Vac, Purge to Ported Vac.

Ported Vac only has Vac when Throttle is Open > X%
sanderson231

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2022 11:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sanderson231Send a Private Message to sanderson231Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
As mentioned this is a Fiero EVAP canister. The purge cycle is controlled by engine vacuum. Without a vacuum line connected to the top of the purge control valve on the top of the EVAP canister the activated carbon in the EVAP will never be regenerated (by drawing air over it) and it will not control hydrocarbon emissions from the fuel tank when the car is sitting idle as intended.

On the 3800 the purge cycle is controlled by the PCM. If the purge solenoid is not connected to the PCM, it will likely cause the check engine light to stay on.

------------------
formerly known as sanderson
1984 Quad 4
1886 SE 2.8L
1988 4.9L Cadillac
1988 3800 Supercharged

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors