Started on: 03-21-2023 05:52 AM
Replies: 7 (393 views)
Last post by: cam-a-lot on 04-15-2023 11:58 AM
cam-a-lot

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2023 05:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cam-a-lotSend a Private Message to cam-a-lotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hello

Has anyone here used the SPEC billet flywheel with their F23/3800 swap? Trying to figure out the correct bolts to use with this setup to attach the flywheel

thx
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Larryinkc

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2023 08:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LarryinkcSend a Private Message to LarryinkcEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My Spec flywheel is still good after 11,000 miles using this method. I have the Getrag 5 speed.

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/139634.html

Here's another one

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/137293.html

[This message has been edited by Larryinkc (edited 03-21-2023).]

Frenchrafe

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2023 01:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FrenchrafeSend a Private Message to FrenchrafeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I use the GM torque to yield bolts, and red loctite.
My friend Rei "La Fiera" gets them for me in the States and then sends them to Europe. (Difficult to get here!)
I know other 3800 turbo guys go with the drilling and tapping, but I've never had the courage, or the necessity, to do this.
My alu SPEC flywheel hasn't ever fallen off since using the factory GM "3800 Camaro" bolts. It did however with the ARP cam bolts!
The GM bolts have a large head that seems to nicely spread the load.
My car pulls a good 400+HP with 491N.m (362ft.lbs).
447HP on a good day:

https://youtube.com/shorts/iSSXGk82oeU

------------------
"Turbo Slug" - '87 Fiero GT. 3800 turbo. - The fastest Fiero in France!
https://youtu.be/c4Cu7_2OgYc
https://www.youtube.com/cha...1wZvWQlkYxTjivW_0XNg

[This message has been edited by Frenchrafe (edited 03-21-2023).]

La fiera

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2023 01:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for La fieraSend a Private Message to La fieraEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

If you choose to use an aluminum flywheel DO NOT INSTALL the bolts with out hard steel washers. The reason being is that the bolts will eat the aluminum and the flywheel will get loose and damaged because the clamping surface on the bolts is very narrow and it will eat on the soft aluminum. The steel washers add a wider foot print to hold that clamping force. Apply red locktite and torque to the recommended specs.
cam-a-lot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2023 07:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cam-a-lotSend a Private Message to cam-a-lotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
thanks everyone

So just stock V6 3800 GM flywheel bolts is the recommended option?
ericjon262

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2023 11:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ericjon262Send a Private Message to ericjon262Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by La fiera:

If you choose to use an aluminum flywheel DO NOT INSTALL the bolts with out hard steel washers. The reason being is that the bolts will eat the aluminum and the flywheel will get loose and damaged because the clamping surface on the bolts is very narrow and it will eat on the soft aluminum. The steel washers add a wider foot print to hold that clamping force. Apply red locktite and torque to the recommended specs.

it should be noted that the 3800 uses 3/8" (or was it 5/16"?) flywheel bolts, and not 10mm like some other FWD engines. some have drilled and tapped them for larger bolts.

an alternative to washers, at least for a 60V6 with 10mm flywheel bolts, is to run Ford Coyote bolts, they have way bigger heads than the stock bolts, and will provide more clamp area, and limit the probability of creep becoming a problem. They are a tad bit long, and will need to be ground slightly shorter to fit, or the holes bottom tapped slightly deeper.

it is also imperative that if you run a washer, you make sure the washer's ID doesn't have a sharp turn that contacts the bolt shank, if it does, it can cause a stress riser which can break the bolts over time.

some pictures of 10mm flywheel bolt options I compiled:

The Ford 5.0 flywheel bolts ARP PN 156-2801

This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.

they're sold as a pack of 8, so you end up with two spares, hopefully you won't need them. Holding the package, it was very apparent that the heads of the bolts are WAY bigger than both the LX9 bolts, and the WOT-tech bolts, and have significantly more area under the heads than any other bolts I had on hand.

under head diameter:
WOT Tech- 0.613"
LX9- 0.6245"
Ford- 0.7345"

Additionally, the ford bolts offer much more thread engagement,

exposed threads though the flywheel:

WOT Tech- 0.4025"
LX9- 0.275"(not threaded to the end)
Ford- 0.592"

------------------
"I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."

I invited Lou Dias to trash me in my own thread, he refused. sorry. if he trashes your thread going after me. I tried.

cam-a-lot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2023 11:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cam-a-lotSend a Private Message to cam-a-lotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I bit the bullet and ordered the spec aluminum flywheel and the crank bolts for a 2000 V6 Camaro. Will look around for some washers as well- hopefully they are thin enough to not make the bolts too short and reduce clamping power.

cam-a-lot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2023 11:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cam-a-lotSend a Private Message to cam-a-lotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

cam-a-lot

2161 posts
Member since Oct 2010
I bit the bullet and ordered the spec aluminum flywheel and the crank bolts for a 2000 V6 Camaro. Will look around for some washers as well- hopefully they are thin enough to not make the bolts too short and reduce clamping power.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock