Automatic PRNDL shift indicator attachment location question by duplico
Started on: 05-04-2023 08:17 PM
Replies: 5 (501 views)
Last post by: theogre on 05-06-2023 08:03 AM
duplico

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2023 08:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for duplicoSend a Private Message to duplicoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm trying to find the attachment location for the bulb holder for the automatic shifter indicator light on my '86 SE. I got the cover off and the bulb replaced, but I found the light socket just hanging loose from the wires (See photo), and so far I haven't found anything on the shifter shaft or hardware that seems like the bulb holder could attach to it.

I've found some older posts that pointed people to the location of the bulb holder so they could change a burned out light, but I found that and changed the bulb - now I need to know how to reattach the bulb holder/socket! The drawings in the service manual show a general location, but I can't find any hardware in that area to attach it to. Any tips? Anyone with an automatic able to post a photo or drawing of the location? Thanks!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 252
Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2023 09:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Rick's got you covered:

[This message has been edited by IMSA GT (edited 05-04-2023).]

Rick Vanderpool

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2023 10:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rick VanderpoolSend a Private Message to Rick VanderpoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's the hole in the underside of the panel with the ashtray lids and shifter boot.

IMSA GT You beat me to it while i was trying to figure how to post the picture.

[This message has been edited by Rick Vanderpool (edited 05-04-2023).]

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 572
Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2023 02:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Very likely the socket has broken the "ears" to hold it in the hole. So won't stay in the hole.

Broke because Tiny bulbs generate enough heat to cook the socket.

see https://web.archive.org/web...cast.net/~fierocave/ light bulbs
Has alternate 73 bulb that are a bit dimmer, less heat and last longer.

Many that fix this have use dimmer bulbs or remove the 70 bulb or break the socket again and leave it because shifter and other lights there can cause problems driving at night w/o external lights hiding reflections on windshield etc.
Lights for ashtrays and cig lighter can cause same problem.

See cig lighter in cave how light works when not blown...

Think those bulbs are on the Dimmer Circuit for the dash and even dim bulbs bounces off the windshield and annoy many drivers.

To drive, you don't need to look at the shifter.
Push button only to get out of park then the gates tell you R N or D w/o looking or holding the button.
But Once in D or N do have to push the button to get R or P or lower gears.
see auto shifter in cave.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

duplico

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2023 01:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for duplicoSend a Private Message to duplicoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Rick and IMSA GT were exactly right. I'm missing that piece under the shifter plate. And also, like theogre said, it looks like the ears on the socket are broken, too. Thanks!

On that plastic piece that I'm missing, can you help me understand how it functions? The main part of it, including the light, stays still, and then the clear piece moves with the shifter knob and actuates a window above the light?

Given how many people seem to think the light is annoying, and the helpful tip on the gate locations, I'm leaning towards not caring about this indicator not working, though I wouldn't mind having the option to fix it.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 572
Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2023 08:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Plastic part go to shifter arm is just "flag" painted so whatever "gear" turn red/orange sim to rest of gauge pointers.

This "flag" works w/o the light too.

Been so long w/o the light...
Light just lights all gears
or
Only lights the "flag" so it acts as a light pipe sim to fiber optic lighting.

I think the later and if flag is painted for whatever reason, have to be done right or light won't work.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock